• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I am considering purchasing an AR. Most likely, I will start with just the lower and build from there. What would be your top three manufacturer recommendations, and should I go stripped or complete. (I have a go to person to help with assembly if need be.) I only have the money to go at this one time, and I want to get a good quality lower to start out. Price isn't the big factor, quality is, and I want to ensure that I get this right the first time around. Thanks....

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    In my opinion, it really doesn't matter, as long as it is a well known name. There is only a few companies making lowers for the big name guys. So it comes down to what name or logo you want on the side.

Now internals are a different matter! Go LMT, CMT or Stag (same company), or Colt.

Pssst - I have an upper for sale in the classifieds if your interested.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    the last several builds i've done have been on stag lowers. personally, any reasonably well made, dimensionally correct lower works for me. it only has to keep all the parts in place, with consistent relationship to each other. as has been stated, there are only a few companies making lowers. stay with a name you recognize and you should be ok. the billet lowers are truly sexy looking, but don't add much for me. the upper parts, and their relationship are another matter.

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    If your looking for the Cadillac of lowers POF !!!!! they are machined from a billet PC of 7075 and are a true work of art ! I've built several of them all the holes,locations,dimensions are to spec here lately I've seen a lot of other lowers that are not to spec some are just off a little and would work fine but I personally wouldn't own one

POF-USA Patriot Ordnance Factory, Inc.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    +1 fpdshooter! There are 3 levels of AR lowers: a.) junk - cast, and out of spec crap, b.) decent quality - most of the lowers machined from forgings, c.) top shelf - you'll know 'cause there hundreds of dollars for a lower.

Since you asked for the "best", that would be something from the third category. Pick any one of them. They're all the "best" if you believe the mfg. hype. Most folks, including the military, use something from the second category and they function just fine for thousands and thousands of rounds.

Here's the Lower Receiver FAQ from ar15.com to read.
    AR15.COM :: Forums :: AR Lower Receiver FAQ (56k beware) MMS, CMT, LAR, LMT compared...

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Forged-I like Spike's Tactical (I have one complete with CTR in the WTS section :)). I also like CMMG, close second.

I've heard great things about the Gen III POF billet lowers. They look cool as hell, but I couldn't justify myself spending that kind of money on a lower.

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Thanks to all who posted. The info. is just what I was after. I will check out the FAQs from the AR site as well.

Top Bottom