Your Take (Opinions) On The Range - Actual Shooters Only Please!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Dec 15, 2010
    $30.00/hour is for TWO shooters sharing the stall. Single shooter price is $20.00/hour, 12.50 half hour (18.75 for two).

I know I think it's a lot personally. Most expensive around that I have seen. That's also not including targets or eyes/ears. Price is all a matter of opinion.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    12-29-12 @ 1:30pm lane 9. Air quality was the best I have experianced. The staff treats you like a VIP. The price is very reasonable considering what you recieve. You can tell that the Burges have done their homework!
    Suggestions;
    1. A waitress to bring more ammo, zombie targets and maybe pizza.

mjrducky

Expert
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    12-29-12 @ 10:30on lane 9.

I was there to check the range out and found the process to be very easy. There was a small line but it moved rather quickly. The service was excellent and they answered all of my questions. The two RO's were fantastic with showing me how to use the controls and making polite conversation. The price doesn't bother me one bit as I would gladly pay top dollar for the facility, safety, and professionalism that I saw.

Coat hooks would be my only request - back wall or partition wall would be fine.

Keep up the good work! :D

PS I was bummed about the great air quality as I took my target down - reach down to get my bag to stow my firearm and when I stood back up the target was gone. It apprently decided to go down range. :(

nascarfantoo

Master
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    #1 - Date You Were Here ..... Today, Dec. 31, 2012

#2 - Apx. Time You Were Here .... When doors opened.

#3 - Opinions On Improving (Or What Should Stay The Same!!) .... Nice set up. Everyone very polite and helpful. The air flow was great. Could feel the "breeze" but no build up of smoke, etc. With several lanes in use, you could easily get an ear full if standing outside when doors were opened Maybe post signs asking everyone to make sure one door closes before opening the second. Having some hearing loss already, I am always concerned about what is left.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Do you have any idea how much this range cost to build or how much it costs to operate. You now have a range that you can breathe in and shoot rifles. Do you find value in that?

I'm not hatin. As you said this is your opinion. Just curious as to how you are forming it. If it's strictly based on the price of other indoor ranges in the area than yes it is more expensive but look at what you are getting for the price. Great value IMHO :twocents:

I know I think it's a lot personally. Most expensive around that I have seen. That's also not including targets or eyes/ears. Price is all a matter of opinion.

ludlow

Marksman
    Sep 26, 2009
    Stopped in on Saturday 12/29 around 11am. Wasn't too crowded, got right in. Played for an hour. Very pleased with the range and the staff. One of my shooting buddies had some questions and the RO came over and gave him some very good pointers.

I've shot at all the indoor ranges in Indy and this is by far the best facility.

Very good experience. I plan on stopping by regularly.

mwsoccer

Marksman
    Feb 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have now been twice. Today, 1/12, the latest around 9:15. Crowded but the desk handled it. I think the lines are currently longer due to first time visitors and having to fill out the release form. Excellent ventilation. Brought my wife for the first time and the range officers provided her with some good instruction. Will be back.

slowG

Expert
    Dec 15, 2010
    Do you have any idea how much this range cost to build or how much it costs to operate. You now have a range that you can breathe in and shoot rifles. Do you find value in that?

I'm not hatin. As you said this is your opinion. Just curious as to how you are forming it. If it's strictly based on the price of other indoor ranges in the area than yes it is more expensive but look at what you are getting for the price. Great value IMHO :twocents:

When walmart makes renovations do they raise prices? I think building a nice facility is a choice made by a company. Its something to be proud of. The wallets of valued customers should not be way to make up for expenses. Would it not be more beneficial to have the lanes full at a competitive price. Everyone coming through has to go through the store. Traffic is a big deal is it not?

If they are filling the lanes regularly for the most part then by all means charge as much as you like. The bottom line is what's important in the end right?

Having said that I just feel a lot more thought could go into pricing.

Ive been a huge fan of BGF for the last 3 years when they were a smaller more personable shop. Having much success and popularity it's hard to keep those original values that they built their shop on and I understand that. I'm basing prices off other ranges yes. For someone only using 7 yards of a range and a small caliber hand gun there is not a justification for almost double the price. (Again just my opinion)Some of us unfortunately have to squeeze a nickel until the buffalo sh!!ts is this their problem? Absolutely not. I could go on , but does it matter at all? Doubtful. The beauty is I am okay with it and know when to agree to disagree. :ingo:

Last edited:

mwsoccer

Marksman
    Feb 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    When walmart makes renovations do they raise prices? I think building a nice facility is a choice made by a company. Its something to be proud of. The wallets of valued customers should not be way to make up for expenses. Would it not be more beneficial to have the lanes full at a competitive price. Everyone coming through has to go through the store. Traffic is a big deal is it not?

If they are filling the lanes regularly for the most part then by all means charge as much as you like. The bottom line is what's important in the end right?

Having said that I just feel a lot more thought could go into pricing.

Ive been a huge fan of BGF for the last 3 years when they were a smaller more personable shop. Having much success and popularity it's hard to keep those original values that they built their shop on and I understand that. I'm basing prices off other ranges yes. For someone only using 7 yards of a range and a small caliber hand gun there is not a justification for almost double the price. (Again just my opinion)Some of us unfortunately have to squeeze a nickel until the buffalo sh!!ts is this their problem? Absolutely not. I could go on , but does it matter at all? Doubtful. The beauty is I am okay with it and know when to agree to disagree. :ingo:

slowG I respect your opinion but you say you are basing prices off other ranges. What other ranges in Indiana have comparable facilities?

slowG

Expert
    Dec 15, 2010
    I am definitely not the one to answer that having only been to 4 different ranges in only central Indiana. I have not been to a vast majority of ranges across the state.

Any facility can provide a 7 yard paper target.

Having said that, you would have to be more specific. Many variables to consider.

Out of the ones I have been to, BGF has the deepest range with the best ventilation. Perfect for someone with a long rifle. For me personally its like going to the RCA dome to only use the redzone but pay for the entire field.

Again this is just my opinion. I really hate to clutter this thread with just one patron's opinions. I surely don't speak for everyone. If you want to discuss it more we can do it via pm to keep the thread on topic so bgF can make their evaluation. :)

mwsoccer

Marksman
    Feb 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    No. I understand what you mean and agree with you that if you aren't going to use everything that the range offers there are probably cheaper options. I just think BGFA provides something that wasn't previously offered in Indianapolis.

Classic

Master
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have visited this range twice now. The last visit was 1/11/13 and both visits have been excellent. I was recognized by the staff on the second visited and treated like a V.I.P. The ventilation is amazing and I appreciate that the staff works to keep rifles toward the high number lanes and pistols toward the smaller number lanes. Having Safety Officers is a big plus and is an added feature most ranges in IN don't provide. This is especially important with so many NEW shooters coming on to the scene. The RSOs have been very friendly and helpful learning how to operate the gear and even helped me pick up my brass part of the time. It's a great place to shoot and worth the money IMO. The only small improvement I see would be some lighting added a bit farther forward so my front sights would be more visible on those weapons with non-illuminated sights. Minor detail really and won't stop me from visiting again soon. Best indoor range I have been to so far and I've been shooting a long, long time. Thanks BGF!

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    When you go into Walmart to grab a gallon of milk, they still have the pharmacy and tire shop available, right? Even if you don't use those services, you are still paying for them, in a way.

Same with BGF. We have guys that pay for a half-hour, and only use 15 minutes, but leave happy. I guess I don't see the "issue", but I admit I'm biased....

slowG

Expert
    Dec 15, 2010
    That's not the same thing at all.

Using your analogy it would be like buying a gallon of milk only needing a half gallon.

It's not an issue. It's a suggestion. Hence the threads purpose.

Being emotionally bias is fine. I base my opinion on logic for my personal situation. Everyone's situation obviously being different.

:horse:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Date: 1/19/2013
    Time: 1:00 PM
    Thoughts: An incredibly nice range.
    Pros:
    • Width of lanes
    • Ventilation
    • Length of lanes
    • Target retrieval system
    • Range officer (Very helpful guy)
    • Range area separate from store (this is huge to me)
    • INGO mural :):

Cons:
    • No Eyes/Ears for rent
    • No Bench behind lanes
    • Cost
    • Distance from my house!! :):

I understand if you don't wanna bother with the hassle of renting out eye and ear protection, but I've come to expect it at most places, so I was a little surprised when I showed up and needed to buy it. I needed a pair anyway, but I still thought it was strange. Seems like an easy way for you guys to make a little extra money? Also, I would really like to have a table against the wall behind the lanes, just personal preference. Luckily there is a lot of space in each lane (huge plus!) so I was able to store all my crap there. Like I said, just personal preference there. I know you asked us to exclude cost, but I wouldn't feel right without mentioning it. It's not a con for me, because to me it's worth the few extra bucks to have a much much nicer range, but I could see where people wouldn't wanna go to shoot a handgun. I apologize if this has been discussed, but have you considered a progressive fee schedule depending on caliber being fired? It seems silly to me, but it's just a thought because I know some find the cost prohibitive.

Overall, a fantastic range! Huge plus 1, and if someone were to ask about a range, I would absolutely recommend you guys first! Look forward to coming back with some long guns!

PS Do you guys have 'range passes' or is it all pay as you go?

:patriot: :+1:

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    We have a buy 10, 11th visit is free card.

Re: ear pro rental, it was felt it was a health issue. Even after wiping them down, I wouldn't want to wear ear pro after Billy Joe Bob sweated in them for 30 min-hour... YMMV. :D

Dorky_D

Expert
    Dec 4, 2010
    Some are suggesting a shelf on the back wall. While I understand the desire, I have seen this setup not work well for safety. There is the newbie that sweeps everyone while unpacking his gear and bringing his hardware to the lane. I am not a big fan of having my bags on the floor to cllect ejected brass, but I would rather not be swept either.

curraheeguns

Master
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Some are suggesting a shelf on the back wall. While I understand the desire, I have seen this setup not work well for safety.

And this is why you will not see one at BGFR. The under table shelves should be done soon, if not already. I have been out of the shop sick all week. Can anyone report? Pics??

Top Bottom