Your thoughts on ammo storage or disposal.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USRifle30Cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2021
    Indiana
    Hello ingo,

I joined the forum to ask this question:

I have been thinning my collection down to guns I use, intend to use, or intend to keep (long-term). As a result, I find myself with a small stockpile of 7.62x39, but without any guns that use that caliber. To make thinks more complicated, the ammo is loose (not boxed) and packed into an old ammo can. I'm not really sure how much is there, but a few hundred rounds for sure.

I'm left wondering what I should do with this ammo. I have the space to keep it, but I don't usually hold onto things that I don't need. On the other hand, I hate to let good ammo go to waste when other people might have a good use for it and it's just sitting here collecting dust.

What does the ingo forum suggest?

Should I just hold onto it?

Should I maybe take it to the gun show whenever it comes around?

Should I donate it to a local shooter's organization?

Thanks for reading my post, and please let me know if you have any ideas.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think I would either sell it or give it to a friend who can make use of it. It’s only a few hundred rounds. If it were sizable I might rather store it in case I decide to acquire something in that caliber.

USRifle30Cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2021
    Indiana
    I think I would either sell it or give it to a friend who can make use of it. It’s only a few hundred rounds. If it were sizable I might rather store it in case I decide to acquire something in that caliber.

Yep, that's kinda the dilemma as I see it. If I had several thousand rounds I would probably hold onto it and maybe get another gun in the future that uses that round.

One ammo can hardly seems worth investing in a new rifle...but, honestly, I have bought guns on less compelling reasons in the past!

Thank you for the reply!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hello ingo,

I joined the forum to ask this question:

I have been thinning my collection down to guns I use, intend to use, or intend to keep (long-term). As a result, I find myself with a small stockpile of 7.62x39, but without any guns that use that caliber. To make thinks more complicated, the ammo is loose (not boxed) and packed into an old ammo can. I'm not really sure how much is there, but a few hundred rounds for sure.

I'm left wondering what I should do with this ammo. I have the space to keep it, but I don't usually hold onto things that I don't need. On the other hand, I hate to let good ammo go to waste when other people might have a good use for it and it's just sitting here collecting dust.

What does the ingo forum suggest?

Should I just hold onto it?

Should I maybe take it to the gun show whenever it comes around?

Should I donate it to a local shooter's organization?

Thanks for reading my post, and please let me know if you have any ideas.
    Make it a good birthday or Christmas gift to someone you know that has that caliber in a firearm.

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    You could also make a post like this, and wait for an INGO member to send you a message offering to buy it. Protip: casually mention your whereabouts in the intro.

A much more difficult and farfetched idea would be to gain access to the classifieds and list it there.

I would probably just keep it. It ain't eating no hay, and sometimes a new caliber shooting iron comes along when you don't expect it.

Welcome to the INGO. I shoot a few USRifle30Cal's myself, but they all use either 30-06, .308, or 30 carbine. I cannot feed them your ammo.

USRifle30Cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2021
    Indiana
    I wanted to come back today and thank everybody for their replies!

Thanks to your awesome feedback, I have decided what I'm going to do with this leftover ammo.

I'm going to spam the political forum with links to msn and theHill until I get 50 posts so I can post my ammo in the want ads and ride the current wave of panic to an early retirement!

Only like 46 to go!

kidding. Im kidding.

I'm going to continue to hold onto it (for now), in hopes that I might be able to donate it to an ingo shoot later on. You guys seem alright.

So, thanks for the replies!

Top Bottom