• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    According to the way I understand the regs, a youth does not need a license to hunt anything that is in season on 11/24 and 11/25. Since deer is in season, a youth can take a deer? (Assuming I'm licensed and we otherwise follow all the rules).

It is only mentioned once in the regs and then it is not mentioned in all of the special "Youth Deer" regs.

If I'm feeling too intelligent for my own good, I just read the IN DNR Hunting Regs. Having hunted in several other states, I cannot believe how odd the IN rules are:dunno:

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I believe you are correct. But why not buy a youth license? They are very cheap and you can then hunt all season instead of 2 days!

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I believe you are correct. But why not buy a youth license? They are very cheap and you can then hunt all season instead of 2 days!

Another thing I can't figure out--how old does he have to be for Hunter's Safety course? He's only 8. So, I'm trying to figure out how he can hunt.

Is there a minimum age for hunter's safety in this state?

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Another thing I can't figure out--how old does he have to be for Hunter's Safety course? He's only 8. So, I'm trying to figure out how he can hunt.

Is there a minimum age for hunter's safety in this state?

There is no minimum age but the DNR guy doing the class recomended 9 as a min. But that all depends on your kid. Some kids can sit still and absorb the info. at that age other as old as 12 or 13 can't. It is a long class, 9 hrs. I think. My girls were 9 and 11 when they took it, both passed 98 and 99 , but (not bragging) both are /were mature for their age and good at absorbing and retaining info. I had also gone over things with them at home from my old book when they did it in school. You can get a apprentice liceses for $7 and he can hunt but must be with you at all times. You can get this three times.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks, guy. Youth Apprentice it is. He's 8 so he can get one each year until 11 and then for sure he'll be able to take the Hunter's Ed, if not before. I think that will work out fine.

Thanks!!

Top Bottom