• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    What's the difference? Been looking for one for my wife. She's very small and a regular is hard for her to use. Thanks

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The difference depends on the make/model you're looking at. Some have shorter barrels, some have shorter stocks, some have both. Some of the youth pump shotguns also have an elongated forearm that comes back farther on the receiver, requiring less of a reach to manipulate it.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Looking towards a .410 pump for the wife. She shot a Winchester model 42 I believe was the number and it was too much of a reach for her. She's 5'2".

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I recently got a Mossberg 500, bantam. 20 gauge. I'm 5'3"....if I stand up really straight, in heels. It fits me very well, and it also came with a second rubber recoil pad that I could switch out to make it a bit smaller for my son.

Birdstrike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I have a 12g Winchester Ranger 120 from my childhood. It is the youth version of the 1200 pump. Why they would make a "youth" 12g is beyond me. Anyway, good gun but no accessories will fit it :-(. I would get a standard model and just let her get used to it. Good luck!!

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    From my understanding the youth models will have short reaches.

Which I believe would lead to lighter guns? Not sure...

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Check out the Remington youth models in 870 or 1187 Express. The youth model has a shorter length of pull, the distance from the trigger to the end of the recoil pad. This fits smaller women or kids better than a full size shotgun. The 1187 being a semi-auto will weigh a little more, but the extra weight and semi action reduces the recoil. Both of these are in 20 gauge.

Twisterx44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    I got my 13 year old brother a youth model rossi. I got it in a 20 gauge thinking he would want something with some punch but a 12 gauge in such a light gun would hurt.

Well that gun is SO light that the 20 gauge kicks more than my heavier 12 gauge.

He loves it though!

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    870 20 ga. youth model!!

Ok say what you want.....I have heard it all from the guys I go hunting with!!!!

I am 6'-2" tall and picked up one of the 870 youth models a while back and love it for rabbit hunting!!! It has a 21" barrel and a shorter pull....this worked great for tight thick brush while covered in heavy brush busting gear!!!! The shorter pull is awesome with all of those clothes on!!!!

Now back to the point...my wife is 5'-1" and of smaller build and shoots this gun like a champ!!!!

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    First shotgun was an Ithaca, M-66 SuperSingle, 20 ga. Short reach made it great to handle as a youth. I could hold it properly and it was light enough that I could keep the muzzle up. Generally youth models have a shorter stock and a good one is balanced so the muzzle doesn't droop.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Just a helpful hint... for women using "youth" model shotguns...

Don't wrap your thumb around the grip, keep it on the same side of the receiver as your trigger finger.

On recoil a thumb over the top of the grip has a tendency to come back an punch you in the nose.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The Remingtin Youth 870 Express with a poly stock has removeble extentions so you can shorten the stock and the barrel is shorter. The youth I am looking at has a 18 inch barrel compared to my 28 inch. The poly stock and the short barrel make for a much lighter gun and easier for youths and those that don't like a heavy gun. I am thinking about getting a 20ga for my 11yr old to learn how to shoot trap. I have 12ga 870 that I really like but it is to long for him. He can hand the recoil but it is not easy for him to shoulder.

Last edited:

Elmo26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    If it is for shooting clays i would tell you it doesn't matter then you can always buy a gracoil recoil system and put on it they are a little expensive they run from about 150 to 300 but you can put them on any shotgun may have to do a little bit of trimming but they take out quite a bit of recoil my brother started shooting trap when he was 11 with an 870 comp that we had one put on and that thing shoots like a 22 rifle

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 870 Youth model has a shorter buttstock, is usually on the smaller LW frame (20 gauge).
    The newer Micro model has a shorter stock and different forearm for closer reach.
    Remington made full size 12's with shorter LOP and called them "youth" models, but that some time back and not commonly seen.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom