• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have a Mossberg 500 20 ga. Bantam. Mine came with two sizes of stock-- regular and short, but I got it used, so I don't know if it came from the factory like that. It's pretty easy to shoot.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I started my boys out with a Rossi youth combo gun . It was a .410 and .17hmr combo set . I think they are around 200 bucks . We pretty much just used them to get them comfortable with a firearm other than a BB gun .

Once they started hunting , they used a Mossberg 500 bantam in a 20ga . We only used the 20ga for hunting . They did all their target practice with smaller caliber guns , I didn't want to get them gun shy in anyway . Whether it would be from recoil or the sound .

In a hunting situation I have yet to see my boys say anything about the recoil of a gun . My youngest is 9 and he has been hunting with a 20ga for 2 yrs. now .

The Rossi was a nice light easy to handle gun , but the .410 barrel was only good to about 15yds . It had a VERY open choke .

The Rossi we bought was a pretty small gun . I'm not sure what the LOP was , but it was short . Since your son is 12 , I would visit some LGS and handle a few to see what fits and what doesn't .

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I was 5' 4" when I got my first shotgun.
    Ithaca Model 51 20 gauge tricked by Simmons.
    I ditched it and got an 870 magnum 12.
    Yeah it didn't fit perfect, but clays and critters couldn't tell- I nailed 'em.

My ol lady is tiny, so got her an 870 Special Field 20 with killer wood, professionally cut down.
    She hated the stock :(

Youngest wants to blast stuff, so I'm going cheap.........870 Express youth or an 1100 project.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom