• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    Phone companies were broke up, yet you didn't have to use a phone.

Microsoft had it used against them, yet they were not the only programming language.

It was used against my steel mill, for the mill having the audacity to have it's own railroad for inside the mill. They had to sell off the railroad.

I think there were problems with media conglomerates.

There are other examples of "defacto" monopolies.

Google/YouTube might be considered one.

FCC chairman Pai did allude to this in his Net Neutrality speech.

However, if we have no right to regulate that ISPs can't discriminate against internet traffic, Can we expect to have the right to regulate what Youtube does or does not allow on its site?

Best bet is to start a youtube competitor that allows all legal speech.

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    Also for those with a firestick, you can download Amazon's silk browser and watch videos on the full30.com. However, its the actual site, and not as tv friendly as an app.

I tried the firefox app and you can get to videos, but it didn't actually play them.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I only had my sons, now in their 30s, to observe closely how they relate to guns. Myself, now in my 60s coming from a rural agricultural background, I had a different exposure to firearms than they did, being raised in the suburbs. We were also exposed to different types of media, movies video games, etc. I don't see guns disappearing in culture so much as evolving. My sons don't hunt much, part of that is neither one ever wanted to get up really early on weekends, but when they come for a visit they do enjoy getting the old man's guns out and shooting them. Their interest leans toward more modern stuff, which I don't have much of, but they will shoot revolvers and lever guns. The only exception to that is broomhandles which when I asked about the interest both of them said they are just "cool."

They don't post the ages of members here so maybe there's a difference between pre and post video game/internet people's first exposure to gun culture, maybe an Ingo survey would be in order .
    Leadeye, do you want to borrow some modern, guns the next time the boys com up? :cool:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I just checked out Full30. Hickok and John were talking about youtube, gun rights, the shooting in Florida and were also talking about something called Patreon they were going to start. It was interesting.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just checked out Full30. Hickok and John were talking about youtube, gun rights, the shooting in Florida and were also talking about something called Patreon they were going to start. It was interesting.

Patreon seems to be the way things are headed... major creators use it to bring in revenue directly from the fans. You "subscribe" to send them an amount of money every month. It's up to them if they want to offer exclusive content to Patrons at varying levels of donation.

There are content creators making tens of thousands of dollars a month from it, just straight up from willing fans.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Related to the Youtube problems, today Reddit nuked r/gundeals, r/gunsforsale, r/brassswap, and others following a sudden and arbitrary policy change.

They now equate posting deals from legal retailers to swapping drugs and sex work.

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    Related to the Youtube problems, today Reddit nuked r/gundeals, r/gunsforsale, r/brassswap, and others following a sudden and arbitrary policy change.

They now equate posting deals from legal retailers to swapping drugs and sex work.

Sites like reddit and facebook banning gun sales doesn't really bother me so much. There's a variety of state and federal laws to follow and those sites are not equipped to monitor that. The last thing either site wants is for there to be news that a gun sold on the site was used in a crime. Its also not good press for us when that happens. Keep the sales on the sites where people know the laws. It helps keeps things like the GAO Illegal Online Gun Sales report in our favor.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    It's outside my wheelhouse but maybe these guys need to team up with people like Prager U.

PragerU Sues Google For Demonetization | The Daily Caller

The nature of PragerU's lawsuit isn't that YT has a political agenda, it's that they delete videos and suspend or delete channels with no consistency or explanation. YouTube has deleted or restricted a number of PragerU's videos, giving a stock answer that doesn't give details about PragerU's specific content. They'll simply say "content unsuitable for children" or something like that but offer no further explanation and no ability for PragerU to challenge. The law doesn't begrudge businesses from having a political agenda, but it must be applied consistently otherwise the business is open to being sued.

As for the argument about YT being treated by most as a public utility, I think there may be an argument there. Currently IMHO YT holds a de facto monopoly on video posting & sharing. No other platform or site comes close. For them to lock out an entire special interest group that follows a legal past-time that they don't like for political reasons seems to me to be illegal on some level. It's just that the argument or lawsuit hasn't been made yet to deal with it.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    It was used against my steel mill, for the mill having the audacity to have it's own railroad for inside the mill.
    Somehow I didn’t know that about GRW/ E, J&E, but I’m just a truck driver, how would I know?

Google/Youtube bring a lot of traffic our way, people looking for CNN clips, cat videos or people playing video games. Those videos redirect them to hickok, demo ranch or MAC and they slowly wander our way; that’s the big problem with a platform that is JUST 2a stuff

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Somehow I didn’t know that about GRW/ E, J&E, but I’m just a truck driver, how would I know?

Google/Youtube bring a lot of traffic our way, people looking for CNN clips, cat videos or people playing video games. Those videos redirect them to hickok, demo ranch or MAC and they slowly wander our way; that’s the big problem with a platform that is JUST 2a stuff

They bring traffic for now.
    How long before that changes?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

As for the Gary Railway - Elgin Joliet & Eastern, now I can't back up my statement about anti-trust.
    EJ&E was owned by US Steel, through Transtar. That much I can find.
    And it was spun off.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Sites like reddit and facebook banning gun sales doesn't really bother me so much. There's a variety of state and federal laws to follow and those sites are not equipped to monitor that. The last thing either site wants is for there to be news that a gun sold on the site was used in a crime. Its also not good press for us when that happens. Keep the sales on the sites where people know the laws. It helps keeps things like the GAO Illegal Online Gun Sales report in our favor.

It should bother you. We are facing an extra-legal campaign to disrupt, degrade, and eventually terminate lawful commerce and exchange of information relating to exercise of our constitutional right.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They choose to use it because it is by far the largest and best way for content creators to reach viewers, and viewers use it because it has the best and widest range of content. As such, it has grown to the point that Youtube is the best way to reach viewers, and attempting to build an audience on another platform is all but futile.

I'm beginning to have the opinion that Google and Youtube can, and should be subject to anti-trust laws due to their size and market-share percentage. Utility companies like IPL aren't allowed to jack their rates 20x overnight, even though technically their customers have alternatives.

So the solution is use govt to force a business to engage in practices it does not wish to participate... because they are too successful? Sounds like government overreach to me. Govt should NOT be tell private entities what they should be doing, unless they are breaking the law.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    So the solution is use govt to force a business to engage in practices it does not wish to participate... because they are too successful? Sounds like government overreach to me. Govt should NOT be tell private entities what they should be doing, unless they are breaking the law.

Kinda like telling a baker he must bake a cake for someone he wishes not to right?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It should bother you. We are facing an extra-legal campaign to disrupt, degrade, and eventually terminate lawful commerce and exchange of information relating to exercise of our constitutional right.

But they don't have a right to self-direction? They must bow to my rights at the expense of their own? 2A only exists to protect us from government.

Top Bottom