• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    It's safe enough. Remember that this is COLD weather, so as soon as you pour water that was boiling into the bottle, it's going to stop boiling right quick.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Fill a Nalgene-type water bottle with boiling water, seal it tight, slip it inside an old wool sock, and bring it inside the sleeping bag with you. Hot water bottle next to your core all night.
    QUOTE]

Is it safe to use boiling water in a Nalgene bottle? Not to argue, I just wasn't sure it was safe.

If it's a question of container integrity then yes done it a million times. Rolling boil straight to the nalgene no problem if it's an actual nalgene.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Just a few points, cause several good ones have already been made.

Someone mentioned not use air mattresses. I take exception to this. I have a several different pads and I routinely take My Qcore Big Agnes out in winter. I love it. (Matter of fact I don't own a close celled pad.)

Someone else mentioned putting smaller bag in larger bag. It's been my experience this can have mixed results. A fleece liner or what not, great idea. An actual thin weight sleeping bag stuck in bigger bag might not allow air pockets to heat and while it would to a degree, it won't work as well as other solutions. I know not everyone has the means, but buy different bags according to when you'll use them. I have 0, 15, 30, and 45 degree bags I select accordingly before setting off.

It's worth mentioning that the scientific reason behind how you lose body heat against the ground, in water etc. How quickly a person will lose body heat is directly related to how dense the material is that their body is in contact with at the time of body loss. So for example water is 25 times denser than air. Therefore, all things being equal, you'll lose body heat 25 times faster in cold water than in cold air. Same goes for the ground. I'm not sure how many times denser than air, but obviously so.

Others have mentioned various heat reflectors for fires and what not. I'm not speaking against them, because they work, and quite well at that, but I rarely even make a fire when off camping. Even in the winter. I prefer to be much lighter in the pack. My winter pack for a weekend is 35 lbs or less.

Hammocks in the winter have been a mixed bag for me. They're definitely comfortable, but by the time I add all the extra padding will take to keep me warm in one for a winter's evening I lose weight savings over a tent. Especially when I consider that winter means no bugs, which means it's a great time to leave the tent at home. My QCore pad is 3.5 inches thick I love sleeping on it I really do sleep as comfortably as at home. I do love the hammock for the rest of the year, especially when it's hot because of the nice cool breeze you can get underneath.

That's it, So many other things have already been said, just wanted to add :twocents: to a topic that I really love.
    carry on.

Top Bottom