Should known gang leader be granted an Illinois carry permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If he meets the criteria established in the law, there is no reason to justify refusing him. Setting a precedent for arbitrary denials is a bad idea. What looks like a good reason today will pave the path for doing the same for bad reasons in the future.

My opinion: if he's going to commit violent crimes or encourage/facilitate the same from others, the permit will neither enable nor restrict him in any substantial way.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If he meets the criteria established in the law, there is no reason to justify refusing him. Setting a precedent for arbitrary denials is a bad idea. What looks like a good reason today will pave the path for doing the same for bad reasons in the future.

My opinion: if he's going to commit violent crimes or encourage/facilitate the same from others, the permit will neither enable nor restrict him in any substantial way.

Agreed. He already has the FOID card which means he can purchase guns and ammo.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If he's a KNOWN gang leader, that implies that they've got info to prove it, so why is he free and applying for a CCW license? ****cago is down at the bottom of the list of places enforcing gun laws against arrested criminals. No reason to compromise the rule of law, they just need to enforce the ones that existed before their now ccw law.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Absolutely. If he has an FOID and no felonies, he fits the criteria for a "proper person" as stated by Illinois state statutes. Who's to say that Chicago just doesn't want people to carry a firearm, and he has tattoos so he "becomes" a "known gang leader." I know people with tattoos who are automatically assumed to be part of some type of gang.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If the Gang Leader meet all lawful requirements to carry concealed, then yes, they should be issued their License.

If a proven Gang Leader, then the person should be denied their License. To me it is like how a known drug addict or crazy person can be denied a license in this State. Proof is the responsibility of the State.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    the carry permit isnt going to make him go out and kill a bunch of people because it is legal for him to carry now so I would go ahead and give it to him.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    If the Gang Leader meet all lawful requirements to carry concealed, then yes, they should be issued their License.

If a proven Gang Leader, then the person should be denied their License. To me it is like how a known drug addict or crazy person can be denied a license in this State. Proof is the responsibility of the State.
    Your statements contradict each other.

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    NO!- I am not sure what evidence they have, but if he really is a gang leader there is no way he should get a permit (not that I believe that would stop him from carrying a gun). Common sense should prevail!
    “It is exactly what the objection process was designed to allow. We are doing all we can to ensure that applicants with any history of violence or domestic violence are thoroughly reviewed by the concealed carry licensing board,” she said.
    The Illinois State Police are required to object to applications by anyone with three or more gang-related arrests within seven years or anyone with five or more arrests of any type within seven years.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    He meets the criteria and is not considered an improper person. Give him his permit if he qualifies. If he breaks the law and disqualifies himself in the future then you take it back.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    If he's a KNOWN gang leader, that implies that they've got info to prove it, so why is he free and applying for a CCW license?

Obviously he must have friends or himself be a part of the corrupt Democrat political machine/band of thugs that has infected the area for decades and given :poop:-cago its name...

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    NO!- I am not sure what evidence they have, but if he really is a gang leader there is no way he should get a permit (not that I believe that would stop him from carrying a gun). Common sense should prevail!
    “It is exactly what the objection process was designed to allow. We are doing all we can to ensure that applicants with any history of violence or domestic violence are thoroughly reviewed by the concealed carry licensing board,” she said.
    The Illinois State Police are required to object to applications by anyone with three or more gang-related arrests within seven years or anyone with five or more arrests of any type within seven years.

He has a butt load of arrests, so like Tobi said a number of arrests especially "gang related" are a disqualifier. Hispanic gangs are also known to work with the Chicago democratic machine at election time. Realy the question asked should be "why isnt he in jail or at least a convicted felon." The Crook County states attorney is Anita Alverez a democrat and known gun hater. Maybe there is a connection there somewhere. Jim.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If you are dangerous enough to not be allowed to carry a gun you are dangerous enough that you should not be in the general population.

If he really is a gang leader I really don't think he cares if he has the license or not to carry. This is just a way to get a bit of insurance if the police do search him.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    An arrest does not equal a conviction. A person should not be persecuted based on who they associate with. especially when it comes to the right to arms. The king of england once limited arms based on religion or political group

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If he has no felonies and meets the other criteria related to drugs and domestic violence, then he is legally eligible to have a LTCH - although I doubt the lack of an LTCH has ever stopped him from carrying in the past or ever will in the future.

Top Bottom