• ...and so much more!
  • ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Well I had thought in a bolt gun as opposed to a semi auto it was less an issue about shooting mil surp ammo but my initial thought when it wouldn't easily eject was i had a much tighter chamber than the machine guns the round was designed for. I have never experienced this before with my smaller magnum rifles (.300 win mag) and someone locally even stated the twist rate in this barrel could be different than the m2 that usually this round is loaded for. Also is my gun safe to shoot further or is it unsafe now that its had this overpressure event?
    I don't have enough experience with 50 BMG rifles to tell you for certain if it's still safe to shoot. In the case of the FAL, it was fine afterwards. I can't imagine it would not be fine, but again 50 BMG is a different animal to other rounds, and I just don't have enough experience. The safe route would be having it inspected by a competent gunsmith who knows 50 BMG rifles.

Funny enough 50 BMG is really not specced to as high as a chamber pressure as you would imagine. I believe it's specced at around 54,000 PSI by CIP, which usually spec chambers higher than SAAMI. M855A1 EPR 5.56 has a higher chamber pressure than that. That 6.8x51 has an even higher pressure at around 80,000 PSI. The thing that makes 50 so potentially dangerous is despite having a moderate chamber pressure, there is still a lot of explosive energy, so any change in the tolerances of the chamber very well can lead to either a pipe bomb, or a skewering by bolt incident.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don't have enough experience with 50 BMG rifles to tell you for certain if it's still safe to shoot. In the case of the FAL, it was fine afterwards. I can't imagine it would not be fine, but again 50 BMG is a different animal to other rounds, and I just don't have enough experience. The safe route would be having it inspected by a competent gunsmith who knows 50 BMG rifles.

Funny enough 50 BMG is really not specced to as high as a chamber pressure as you would imagine. I believe it's specced at around 54,000 PSI by CIP, which usually spec chambers higher than SAAMI. M855A1 EPR 5.56 has a higher chamber pressure than that. That 6.8x51 has an even higher pressure at around 80,000 PSI. The thing that makes 50 so potentially dangerous is despite having a moderate chamber pressure, there is still a lot of explosive energy, so any change in the tolerances of the chamber very well can lead to either a pipe bomb, or a skewering by bolt incident.
    When comparing things like 277 to 50 BMG, Lets not forget that one of those rounds uses, what, 4 to 5 times the amount of propellant than the other.
    Myself, I would rather have a regular 277 cut loose on me over a 50 BMG cutting loose on me.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have a Robar SR90 and have always wanted the 50.
    I haven't had any issues with my Robar and it is one of my favorites.
    Ever want to do any trading let me know.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    My LGS sells Hornady .50 BMG for $4.50/rnd, I am sure there are others with reasonable enough prices to get you some good stuff and avoid unwanted ER visits.
    Looks like the best you can get is a bit over $3 / round for new 50BMG ($3.65 w/ free shipping). I usually paid between $2 and $2.50, but it's been a couple of years and prices keep going up.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    They had some QC issues a decade ago and blew up some guns. IIRC there were a few serious injuries.
    As I recall Talon Industries shut down in spring of 07, we bought truckloads of ammo and components off the loading docks in Paw Paw. I don't recall them having any small arms ammo problems. Now a few tons of 20mm or 30MM HEI projectiles were sold to a scrapper as de-milled and they dumped them in a shredder. That was not good.
    We have shot literately thousands of 308, 30-06 and 50BMG that they loaded and never an issue. Lots of the ball ammo they sold was just repackaged from demilling the belts they were on. The Hungry Hunter ammo was from de-mill with new primers and bullets.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As I recall Talon Industries shut down in spring of 07, we bought truckloads of ammo and components off the loading docks in Paw Paw. I don't recall them having any small arms ammo problems. Now a few tons of 20mm or 30MM HEI projectiles were sold to a scrapper as de-milled and they dumped them in a shredder. That was not good.
    We have shot literately thousands of 308, 30-06 and 50BMG that they loaded and never an issue. Lots of the ball ammo they sold was just repackaged from demilling the belts they were on. The Hungry Hunter ammo was from de-mill with new primers and bullets.

All I know is on arfcom and on FCSA there were a spate of problems that started coming out with them. Memory as to the exact nature of the problem is fuzzy. What was left imprinted on my brain was “stay away from Talon .50bmg.” it may have been something that happened after manufacture or just a single lot. I was buying a lot of surplus at the time (I still have a couple thousand rounds of genuine milsurp .50) and a few hundred assorted others and as said upstream, life is too short to gamble on saving a few bucks on .50bmg.

I remember the issue with the Dominican yellow tip was that it had been stored in excessive heat for too long and the powder had cooked.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    All I know is on arfcom and on FCSA there were a spate of problems that started coming out with them. Memory as to the exact nature of the problem is fuzzy. What was left imprinted on my brain was “stay away from Talon .50bmg.” it may have been something that happened after manufacture or just a single lot. I was buying a lot of surplus at the time (I still have a couple thousand rounds of genuine milsurp .50) and a few hundred assorted others and as said upstream, life is too short to gamble on saving a few bucks on .50bmg.

I remember the issue with the Dominican yellow tip was that it had been stored in excessive heat for too long and the powder had cooked.
    Interesting, I've never been on arfcom but I will see what I can come up with.
    Like you I bought LC when it was $100 a belted can, now with Talon I bought well with 150 rd cans of loaded ammo and components. Ive never had a problem with any of there loaded ammo.
    I was just talking to my brother and he wondered if it was Talon? or reloaders using Spotter tracer Powder or pushing Spotter bullets to fast or with other bullets or pushing #2 bullets that were out of round to fast or the wrong powder.
    I'm really curious to see what I find. Thanks

We never bought any of the Dominican 50, We did buy well with the high pressure 9mm Sub Gun L7A1 Hertenberger ammo that came in 25 years ago.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Interesting, I've never been on arfcom but I will see what I can come up with.
    Like you I bought LC when it was $100 a belted can, now with Talon I bought well with 150 rd cans of loaded ammo and components. Ive never had a problem with any of there loaded ammo.
    I was just talking to my brother and he wondered if it was Talon? or reloaders using Spotter tracer Powder or pushing Spotter bullets to fast or with other bullets or pushing #2 bullets that were out of round to fast or the wrong powder.
    I'm really curious to see what I find. Thanks

We never bought any of the Dominican 50, We did buy well with the high pressure 9mm Sub Gun L7A1 Hertenberger ammo that came in 25 years ago.
    I’d be interested in what you find as well. My LAR Grizzly Big Boar is my go-to for questionable .50bmg because it’s a tank and I’ve never worried about overpressure with it, so I might pop off a few rounds with it and see what the chrony says.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I’d be interested in what you find as well. My LAR Grizzly Big Boar is my go-to for questionable .50bmg because it’s a tank and I’ve never worried about overpressure with it, so I might pop off a few rounds with it and see what the chrony says.
    Years ago I bought a A-Mac, a M2 and a 1st gen Armalite AR50.
    The A-Mac is brutal to shoot, the AR50 is like shooting a 180 grain bolt 308.
    If I was worried I would use the A-Mac.
    None of them go out very often, never really did after the first few years of owning them.
    Do you have any Talon ammo?

That reminds me I need to dig out a few 8mm Mauser rds for someone.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Years ago I bought a A-Mac, a M2 and a 1st gen Armalite AR50.
    The A-Mac is brutal to shoot, the AR50 is like shooting a 180 grain bolt 308.
    If I was worried I would use the A-Mac.
    None of them go out very often, never really did after the first few years of owning them.
    Do you have any Talon ammo?

That reminds me I need to dig out a few 8mm Mauser rds for someone.
    I’d have to dig, but I’m pretty sure I have an ammo can full of them, so a hundred.

I had an AR50 but lost it in the house fire. I couldn’t shoot it well anyway as I shoot rifle lefty and there wasn’t any way to easily shoot it lefty.

I’m not going to risk my M82 or my face with anything but known ammo! I also have a custom lefty Ferret50 that Spider Arms made for me.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I’d have to dig, but I’m pretty sure I have an ammo can full of them, so a hundred.

I had an AR50 but lost it in the house fire. I couldn’t shoot it well anyway as I shoot rifle lefty and there wasn’t any way to easily shoot it lefty.

I’m not going to risk my M82 or my face with anything but known ammo! I also have a custom lefty Ferret50 that Spider Arms made for me.
    Theres some irony, I'm also a lefty and it was years before they came out with the left AR50. So its not super comfortable for me to shoot.
    Ive never bought a left handed gun with my sons are both rightys.

I dug out one of the cans that I bought in the middle 90's? of over pressure Sub Gun 9MM Hertinberger ammo that snuck in the USA. It will get an Ingram, HK and an Uzi to run like they should.
    20240516_100311.jpg
    20240516_100326.jpg

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Why do you say that ammunition from Talon is dangerous?
    A friend of mine bought a bunch of these many years ago. While he was shooting I examined the spent brass and it was showing signs of excess pressure. I pointed this out to him and he stopped shooting them.

I currently have the remaining ammo to demill.

chuck

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I dug out one of the cans that I bought in the middle 90's? of over pressure Sub Gun 9MM Hertinberger ammo that snuck in the USA. It will get an Ingram, HK and an Uzi to run like they should.
    Ah - the hard primers for an open bolt, the overcharged powder capacity, a total nightmare for shooting in a standard pistol (which you should never do.). It was designed to use only in the Uzis.

I've seen this stuff sold on Gunbroker as Israeli import surplus. Wonder how many people lost fingers to it. It's a spicy meatball for sure.

Top Bottom