• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    I've lived out here since 1978, and the legislators in this place never cease to amaze me. From the first state to ban smoking within 20' of public buildings, ban on plastic shopping bags, the requirement that motor vehicles be painted with water-based coatings, ban on denatured alcohol, etc., etc., etc.... Many passed with no alternative materials or processes availabe.

But this one is just plain ridiculous.

the California Air Resources Board (CARB) regulation would have all freight trains operate in zero-emission configuration by 2035. At the end of the decade, the state is mandating the retirement of diesel locomotives 23 years or older, despite typically useful lives of over 40 years. Starting in 2030, new passenger locomotives must operate with zero emissions, with new engines for long-haul freight trains following by 2035. It limits locomotive idling and increases reporting requirements.

Given the interstate nature of railway operations, California needs the EPA to grant a waiver. If the agency agrees, the policy will inevitably affect the entire continental United States.

The kicker is that no technology exists today to enable railroads to comply with California's diktat, rendering the whole exercise fanciful at best.

The cost-benefit analysis is woefully unfavorable to the forced displacement of diesel locomotives. To "help" the transition, beginning in 2026, CARB will force all railroads operating in California to deposit dollars into an escrow account managed by the state and frozen for the explicit pursuit of the green agenda. For large railroads, this figure will be a staggering $1.6 billion per year, whereas some smaller railroads will pay up to $5 million.

And there you have it. More money to give away...

How is California so able to affect the entire United States?

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    I've lived out here since 1978, and the legislators in this place never cease to amaze me. From the first state to ban smoking within 20' of public buildings, ban on plastic shopping bags, the requirement that motor vehicles be painted with water-based coatings, ban on denatured alcohol, etc., etc., etc.... Many passed with no alternative materials or processes availabe.

It's about time for UP and BNSF to "pull a John Galt" and abandon Californistan.

Piezak

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Mooresville, IN
    My uncle in California was telling me that they were also considering residential use water purifiers. You would flush your toilet or drain your washing machine into such a device. It would evaporate, filter, whatever it does, and then you would gain additional uses of the same water.
    Go ahead and drink to that! Cheers!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

There should be a law requiring all legislators voting for this nonsense to pay for it out of their own pockets. Not from taxpayer money (other than their salaries), from their own pockets. Might make them rethink this crap.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

Hopefully the entire industry stops operating in commyfornia

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My uncle in California was telling me that they were also considering residential use water purifiers. You would flush your toilet or drain your washing machine into such a device. It would evaporate, filter, whatever it does, and then you would gain additional uses of the same water.
    Go ahead and drink to that! Cheers!
    He is half right. Greywater (Sinks and showers only) can be recycled. Usually it is for irrigation. And I think that is a GREAT idea. My family did that when I was a kid. Bathwater was used to water the garden to conserve water because mom was paranoid about the well running dry. :rolleyes:

Adding a toilet into the mix is a no-go. Too many solids and nasty things like e-coli.

Recycling it into drinking water? Too many risks IMHO.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    He is half right. Greywater (Sinks and showers only) can be recycled. Usually it is for irrigation. And I think that is a GREAT idea. My family did that when I was a kid. Bathwater was used to water the garden to conserve water because mom was paranoid about the well running dry. :rolleyes:

Adding a toilet into the mix is a no-go. Too many solids and nasty things like e-coli.

Recycling it into drinking water? Too many risks IMHO.
    I think medication is a big unknown when trying to make potable water on a large scale. No one can say with certainty what happens when a few thousand different drug remnants mix with each other.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Hopefully, they will chain themselves to the rails to prevent ingress of the oncoming 10000 or so tons of offender.
    If in attendance as a spectator I would suggest; a lawn chair, cooler with beer and appropriate clothing for a Gallagher show.

MH View attachment 350600
    The better message is to agree to not break the instituted California laws and no longer provide transportation inside the state. There is no obligation to provide interstate transportation.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    The better message is to agree to not break the instituted California laws and no longer provide transportation inside the state. There is no obligation to provide interstate transportation.
    This ^^^ - but are people willing to take the hit for a while? Sacrifice for freedom is pretty much nonexistent.

Top Bottom