• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Seeing some "rhetorical questions" being posted, how many here are aware many schools aren't teaching cursive handwriting?

We bought our boys some workbooks and are teaching them to read and write it. But if you can't write cursive, how do you sign your name?

And more importantly, how do you read the Constitution or the Bill of Rights?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Seeing some "rhetorical questions" being posted, how many here are aware many schools aren't teaching cursive handwriting?

We bought our boys some workbooks and are teaching them to read and write it. But if you can't write cursive, how do you sign your name?

How do you read the Bible if you can't read Aramaic?

This is such a stupid argument. How many people read the original bill of rights? Also their cursive doesn't match the current version of cursive.

Cursive is unnecessary and we don't need to force students to learn it. The best option would be to make it an elective class not a requirement.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

This is such a stupid argument. How many people read the original bill of rights? Also their cursive doesn't match the current version of cursive.

Cursive is unnecessary and we don't need to force students to learn it. The best option would be to make it an elective class not a requirement.
    Well, it's neither right now...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

That is great!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I rarely write in cursive anymore. In fact it's a struggle when I do, and by that I just mean that it's not as natural as it used to be. I worked as a draftsman right out of high school and from that point on, I pretty much printed everything except my signature. My dad was the same way - he almost always printed everything.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

That doesn't answer the question about signatures. A printed signature isn't a signature.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    That doesn't answer the question about signatures. A printed signature isn't a signature.
    Most people's signatures are nothing more than scribbles.

As many times I have to get a signature from customers, I bet I get one a week I can read or atleast the scribble appears to have the right scribbles for their name.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I believe that's actually the answer to the question you're really asking which is, why wouldn't they teach children how to read and write?

An uneducated, stupid society is easy to control and manipulate. How many people believe men can menstruate if they just put their minds to it nowadays?

Tradesylver

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2024
    Brown County
    I'm old school and beautiful handwriting is to be admired, it's like fine art. It takes time and dedication to master that skill and I appreciate those that do. When I journal I use a fountain pen, there is nothing like writing with a quality made fountain pen. Yeah, I'm school, but I've already said that. lol

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Most people's signatures are nothing more than scribbles.

As many times I have to get a signature from customers, I bet I get one a week I can read or atleast the scribble appears to have the right scribbles for their name.
    This!

Also for fun sometimes in those "sign with your finger" touch pad things I'll sign my name as BOOBS or at one bar I had a reputation for just drawing boobs as my signature.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I’m torn on this one. I was taught cursive. I don’t use it except to sign my signature anymore. I don’t even use it on gift cards.

The origins of cursive was to speed up the writing process; however, anymore, there is little need to write as opposed to type letters on devices.

Kind of like calligraphy. It has gone by the wayside as it’s just not needed.

As a teacher, I will say that when ever I receive any type of handwriting from a student, which is rare, if they use cursive it’s nearly impossible to read. Which is too bad.

But really, all of my assignments are submitted electronically. Paper is not even turned in within my classroom setting.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I’m torn on this one. I was taught cursive. I don’t use it except to sign my signature anymore. I don’t even use it on gift cards.

The origins of cursive was to speed up the writing process; however, anymore, there is little need to write as opposed to type letters on devices.

Kind of like calligraphy. It has gone by the wayside as it’s just not needed.

As a teacher, I will say that when ever I receive any type of handwriting from a student, which is rare, if they use cursive it’s nearly impossible to read. Which is too bad.

But really, all of my assignments are submitted electronically. Paper is not even turned in within my classroom setting.
    What ages do you teach? I have one in kindergarten and he brings home mounds of paperwork each week!

His hand writing is better than the 5th graders (but he takes his time). Amazon is bringing the 5th grader a few handwriting books tomorrow. He'll do them to earn electronics time this summer...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Being old, old school, I sometimes write thank you cards and greeting cards in cursive. I think that it is easier to hand write than printing. I kind of like it that some people can't understand anything not printed on a screen (and many can't understand that). My granddaughters are learning it. I'm sure that it is going by the wayside rapidly, as have slide rules, pocket calculators, Blackberry, land line phones and chronograph wristwatches. Technology advances often leave pieces of our culture behind.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom