• ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Whether it is cursive handwriting or algebra or trig or calculus or physics, at the elementary and secondary levels, nearly every child should have to learn things, the practical application of which is not immediately obvious. Why?

Formal education needs to call the mind to stretch, to work that muscle.

Sure, teach the practical things, but I credit algebraic proofs and calculus with helping me understand how to break down immensely complicated problems into manageable parts, each of which can be solved in turn leading to an ultimate solution. When I was in Jr. High and High School having problems with Math and hating "story problems", my Dad, an engineer said: "Life is a story problem." That stuck with me. Life is, indeed, a story problem.

I don't do algebra, trig or calculus on a daily basis, nor write in cursive or have to know the state capitols or the reason why Andrew Johnson was impeached (which more people should know), but I use techniques and strategies I learned while learning these things nearly every day.

It's the State doing this. The teachers I know complain about the dumbing down of the curriculum.

One history teacher threw the new standards on the TV and showed the students how simple it's gotten. The requirements for some important events and people have been brought down to a sentence or two.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    The state is hot and cold on cursive handwriting. There is more of a push for the lower grades. The higher grades just need to be reported to the state if you are doing it. There might have been a bill passed last year or early this year, but it’s not really significant.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I started school in California then came here half way through the second grade. In Cali we didnt learn cursive till the 4th grade. Here they learned it at the start of second. One day the teacher writes what she wants us to do on the board in cursive. I ask a kid sitting next to me what the board says.. he says "you can't read cursive?" I told him nope. He tells me I should talk to the teacher. So I go to the teacher.

Me: I can't read the board
    Teacher: you can't?! Why not
    Me: I never learned that.
    Teacher: well go ask one of the other kids
    Me: *blink blink* I did he told me to ask you.
    Teacher: go back to your desk and do your work.

I went back to my desk and sat there quietly defeated stressed, upset, and sad.

A little while later

Teacher: Jesse! Why aren't you working?!
    Teacher: well of you're not going to do any work just go to the principals office.

Fighting back tears I wondered to the principals office.

After sitting in the office for a while the principal calls me in and starts to give me a stern talking to about talking back and not working. That's when I broke down into tears and explained I would have but couldn't read the board bc I never learned cursive.

The principal obviously having not been told what actually happened then understood the actual problem. She decided I will get a tudor to help me catch up to the class with cursive.

Clearly that teacher sucked and that was just the tip of the problems I had with her. I tried to get moved out of her class but she refused to let me move.

But despite her obvious failings, is some silly unnecessary redundant form of writing really worth all that drama and ridicule?

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    If I’m running a business that requires you to sign legal documents, you’ll darn well sign them cursively or find someone else to get your services from. I’ve no problem discriminating against ”you”.
    Sounds good to me. Let those X people go to other vendors
    If I’m running a business that requires you to sign legal documents, you’ll darn well sign them cursively or find someone else to get your services from. I’ve no problem discriminating against ”you”.
    vendors have the right to require a signature to complete a transaction.

Unfortunately the major credit card companies don’t require it anymore as of 2018. But vendors still have that right to require the signature. Thing that stinks is that anyone can use your credit card. We still require signatures with our business as well.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    What a stupid stupid stupid hill to die on.

"Well thank you Mr client, just sign here and I'll get started on this million dollar deal.....wait...are you printing your name on MY precious form?! NO! Get THE **** OUTTA HERE YOU UNCULTURED PIECE OF RABBIT ****!!!! ARGH! GET OUTTA HERE DEALS OFF!!!! OUT!! OUT!!! AHHHH OUT!!! OUT!!! AHH AHHH AHHH OUT!!!!"

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Whether it is cursive handwriting or algebra or trig or calculus or physics, at the elementary and secondary levels, nearly every child should have to learn things, the practical application of which is not immediately obvious. Why?

But it is amazing how often you use these teachings in everyday activities. Example: Building something or fixing something for someone, they ask How did you know that so quick? I’ll respond Pythagorean Theory. Usually get the deer in the headlight stare.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    So you’ll accept a “signature“ that doesn’t match any of his other perfectly legal signatures. OK. Yes, your customer would probably do well to go elsewhere.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I started school in California then came here half way through the second grade. In Cali we didnt learn cursive till the 4th grade. Here they learned it at the start of second. One day the teacher writes what she wants us to do on the board in cursive. I ask a kid sitting next to me what the board says.. he says "you can't read cursive?" I told him nope. He tells me I should talk to the teacher. So I go to the teacher.

Teacher: you can't?! Why not
    Me: I never learned that.
    Teacher: well go ask one of the other kids
    Me: *blink blink* I did he told me to ask you.
    Teacher: go back to your desk and do your work.

I went back to my desk and sat there quietly defeated stressed, upset, and sad.

A little while later

Teacher: Jesse! Why aren't you working?!
    Teacher: well of you're not going to do any work just go to the principals office.

Fighting back tears I wondered to the principals office.

After sitting in the office for a while the principal calls me in and starts to give me a stern talking to about talking back and not working. That's when I broke down into tears and explained I would have but couldn't read the board bc I never learned cursive.

The principal obviously having not been told what actually happened then understood the actual problem. She decided I will get a tudor to help me catch up to the class with cursive.

Clearly that teacher sucked and that was just the tip of the problems I had with her. I tried to get moved out of her class but she refused to let me move.

But despite her obvious failings, is some silly unnecessary redundant form of writing really worth all that drama and ridicule?
    This!
    Also, you had me at “blink, blink”, haha.

While there’s always bad news about the new age of despair for our teachers, the good news is that many realize how bad that teacher of yours sucked. She did as much harm as good. But don’t try to tell angry old men yelling at the sky that you didn’t need to get with the program, that it wasn’t your fault.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sounds good to me. Let those X people go to other vendors

vendors have the right to require a signature to complete a transaction.

Unfortunately the major credit card companies don’t require it anymore as of 2018. But vendors still have that right to require the signature. Thing that stinks is that anyone can use your credit card. We still require signatures with our business as well.
    Of the few that require signatures I've seen even much fewer who ever try and match it to a sig on the card or even when someone writes check ID on the back of the card, no one does it. (Most card fraud is not a stolen physical card anyway).

I'd rather see cards require MFA of some sort, as I believe Europe does chip and PIN.

Just like someone pulling your credit for a hard inquiry should require an MFA from the person whose credit is being pulled (vs an optional lock/unlock of the file).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    But it is amazing how often you use these teachings in everyday activities. Example: Building something or fixing something for someone, they ask How did you know that so quick? I’ll respond Pythagorean Theory. Usually get the deer in the headlight stare.
    I once used shadows and the Pythagorean Theorem to figure out how tall a lift we needed to change parking lot lights when no one could remember how high they were.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Sure, teach the practical things, but I credit algebraic proofs and calculus with helping me understand how to break down immensely complicated problems into manageable parts, each of which can be solved in turn leading to an ultimate solution. When I was in Jr. High and High School having problems with Math and hating "story problems", my Dad, an engineer said: "Life is a story problem." That stuck with me. Life is, indeed, a story problem.

I don't do algebra, trig or calculus on a daily basis, nor write in cursive or have to know the state capitols or the reason why Andrew Johnson was impeached (which more people should know), but I use techniques and strategies I learned while learning these things nearly every day.
    This is the only argument in here that holds any water with me.

My “print” looks like cursive, and my cursive looks like I’m straight outta fifth grade. I take pride that my signature is completely illegible.

For those that see it as an art form, more power to you but if I said it should be a requirement to be able to weld and repair and paint and eyeball what a tenth grade is without a laser to run water down hill and whatever else the hell I know that you don’t, you might think it unreasonable, right?

And is everyone actually reading a paper constitution? Does it have to be rolled up on a scroll? Do you break a wax seal to read it? I thought it was just like THE Bible (as opposed to “my” bible) on my phone.

Let the stoning begin.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

It teaches one how to think.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That's why you're on INGO with an imaginary business instead of in the actual world with a real one.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    That's why you're on INGO with an imaginary business instead of in the actual world with a real one.

And there are other sites that say in some circumstances printed is not considered legal and binding. If you can’t sign cursive, that says a lot about you. My sign is atrocious, but I still sign with it. It‘s the correct way to conduct business transactions.

Top Bottom