Earth Blasted With X-Class Flare, Sparking "Largest Solar Radio Event Ever Recorded"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Looking for more information and waiting on CME model release to see if the flare will hit us.

A FUSILLADE OF SOLAR FLARES: Sunspot 3514 continued to flare today with a strong M7-class event following close on the heels of yesterday's X2.8-class boomer. The X-flare on Dec. 14th was the strongest flare of Solar Cycle 25 (so far) and the most powerful eruption the sun has produced since the great storms of Sept. 2017.
    We are still awaiting the results of NOAA modelling to confirm the timing of impact and the possible strength of any resulting geomagnetic storm.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g1-g2-minor-moderate-geomagnetic-storm-watches-16-17-dec-2023 Preliminary model shows glancing blow, but it is not the final release and will be updates as more data is processed.

Could possibly get another X class flare in the next day from Sunspot AR3514.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Several interesting tools.

This gives you lots of raw info of current conditions if you know how to read it. (its for hams because this stuff directly affects our ability to communicate. solar flares bad)

And dont be embarrased if it doesnt make much sense to you. I consider myself pretty smart but dont fully understand all of the data.

This lovely lady with smarts can tell you. She gives reports when its going to get ugly. (typically)

The SWPC is also a good, yet dry source of info.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Looking for more information and waiting on CME model release to see if the flare will hit us.

A FUSILLADE OF SOLAR FLARES: Sunspot 3514 continued to flare today with a strong M7-class event following close on the heels of yesterday's X2.8-class boomer. The X-flare on Dec. 14th was the strongest flare of Solar Cycle 25 (so far) and the most powerful eruption the sun has produced since the great storms of Sept. 2017.
    We are still awaiting the results of NOAA modelling to confirm the timing of impact and the possible strength of any resulting geomagnetic storm.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g1-g2-minor-moderate-geomagnetic-storm-watches-16-17-dec-2023 Preliminary model shows glancing blow, but it is not the final release and will be updates as more data is processed.

Could possibly get another X class flare in the next day from Sunspot AR3514.

Call me (if you can) when the warning is, "this will be worse than the Carrington event".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and this isnt really being talked about by hams, who are the first/worst to be impacted, so I doubt we should expect much. When there is a direct, impactful event, its all the talk in the ham community. (And Skov releases a video, which she so far has not)

And also the ones that will impact us directly also get the weather folks hyping lower latitude northern lights.

The fact that NOBODY but folks like ZH (Who get paid by clicks) are talking about this tells me this is going to wiz right past us.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Model is out. Looks like the CME's will merge and give us a pretty good hit.

MULTIPLE CMEs ARE COMING: Geomagnetic storms are likely on Dec. 16th and 17th when multiple CMEs hit Earth's magnetic field. A new NOAA model shows three CMEs combining to form a single storm front, striking in unison on Dec. 16th around 20:00 UT:

According to the air force we have a a 25% chance for X flares today,the 17th,and 18th. With a 20% chance of severe geomagnetic storms(KP7 or higher). The level of storm will of course depend on flares.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    And also the ones that will impact us directly also get the weather folks hyping lower latitude northern lights.

The fact that NOBODY but folks like ZH (Who get paid by clicks) are talking about this tells me this is going to wiz right past us.

The main impact was in the southern hemisphere....but it was a total blackout. It is certainly on loads more than zerohedge,though they were a bit earlier than many.

I am not that worried about the CME impact unless we get another X flare into the mix,but it could cause a few issues.

Here are the ham guys I have used since 2011.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    If it was the biggest ever... and if we got hit head on... we wouldn't be talking about it on the internet.
    Largest xray event is not the same as the largest CME event. It was the largest xray event(light speed impact),the CME though will be here in about 6 hours,and likely will hit maybe an 8 on the KP index(nowhere near the highest,and it was no where near the largest cme impact).

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Call me (if you can) when the warning is, "this will be worse than the Carrington event".
    Exactly my friend. When there are reports of telegraph wire bursting into flames, I'll give it more attention.

And for those of you that want to post about every little tremor you feel, hold off until you've got something that trumps the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811 & 1812.

Top Bottom