Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Anybody North of SR 46 has their own accent. The farther south you go the farther the line goes. we tend to get our share of slob hunters here. Either it has gotten a little better or I just don't recognize it as much since quitting deer hunting. Short story is I get where the landowner is coming from.

There's good & bad everywhere you go, but some of the most ridiculous and dangerous things I've seen were caused by "New Hunters" or "I'm not really a hunter but.." guys that ventured from the 'burbs to this foreign land of wilderness. Groundhogs, crows, coyotes... you name it, it's amazing what people can convince themselves by reading the internet. I guess they see pictures of a guy with 2-4 critters and assume with their complete lack of knowledge/skill they might be able to harvest 10-20 a day. Irrational.

I've mentioned here before, I don't deny hogs exists in Southern Indiana. Some guys are killing them, IDNR is concerned about them, they exist. What I will tell you is; I hunt coyotes from 10/15-3/15 more hours than a full-time employee works. I am out dusk til' daylight on MANY occasions with some pretty sophisticated equipment pursuing these very finicky coyotes. I drive 200-300 miles of back roads a week while hunting, I walk 3-12 miles per day (GPS tracked), I'm often in the field rain or shine for nearly half the year and tracking with every snow that falls. I see bobcats, ablino deer, 170"+ bucks, eagles (even a Golden Eagle) and all sorts of crazy stuff in my travels. I have never laid eyes on a wild hog in Indiana, dead or alive. Not so much as a track. I'm not saying they're not here. I'm just saying the average guy isn't likely to drive 2-4 hours South of his house, knock on doors for permission, and spot/stalk/shoot a wild hog in Indiana. I think you're just as likely to sit in your back yard and wait on one to show up, it should just take 5-10 years and save you a lot of gas money. Personally, I wouldn't even take a bet on me killing a pig with a week to focus on it. I've never seen the thrill of hog hunting in GA/FL/OK/TX or anywhere else, been around them on many coyote hunts but never saw a pig worth sitting around long enough to shoot.

... I live in south eastern Lawrence...

Wow, small world. I see your post on here all the time, good chance you'd recognize my truck sitting along the road. I've been hunting in there for 15 years, same Ford for the last 11. I'll be around there this evening, in fact. One more day of season left.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wow, small world. I see your post on here all the time, good chance you'd recognize my truck sitting along the road. I've been hunting in there for 15 years, same Ford for the last 11. I'll be around there this evening, in fact. One more day of season left.
    I travel Tunnelton, Budda Bypass, Lawrenceport, and Stonington roads almost every afternoon. Are you on any of them?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They aren't sure these were feral hogs.

Really.....they will be in 2 seasons and litters. Wild as anything running the woods.

Great grand dad raised pigs and when a sow wondered off into the woods and dropped a litter the ones that survived were not farm pigs anymore. They were aggressive and territorial. Got bad enough we used to hunt them pretty regular. Meat was not as good as farm raised but edible.

bucmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I deer hunt in Jackson County. The Locals shoot wild hogs.I hav'nt seen any in the woods but they say dogs or coyotes could run them to us so be prepared to get a shot.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I deer hunt in Jackson County. The Locals shoot wild hogs.I hav'nt seen any in the woods but they say dogs or coyotes could run them to us so be prepared to get a shot.

Years ago some crazy guy in Jackson County (close to White River) had his property going up for Sheriff's auction. He turned his Russian Boars (and Russian Sows I guess) loose. One dry summer when the river was low they got into Washington County.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Years ago some crazy guy in Jackson County (close to White River) had his property going up for Sheriff's auction. He turned his Russian Boars (and Russian Sows I guess) loose. One dry summer when the river was low they got into Washington County.
    The river doesn't have to be low. Feral hogs have been documented swimming miles to the barrier islands in southeastern southern states. They even filmed it on a wildlife show a few years ago. The Ohio River and smaller would be nothing to them compared to that.

If you want to see photos of hog sign and hogs from here in Indiana I recommend you read my website.
    I took the photos here in Indiana.
    Hunting Indiana's Wild Hogs - Open Road Outdoors
    Indiana's Wild Hogs - Open Road Outdoors

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just to be clear. If I happen to gaze out my back window and see one of these, it's a green light any time of the year, day or night, correct?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Bonzaiberger thanks im down in that area for a few days and was gonna look around but i guess i wont now.

bwframe kill em on sight anytime day or night.

Top Bottom