• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I'm left handed and am always looking out for handguns that are lefty friendly. Many shops when asked about guns for southpaws they mention glocks with ambidextrous safety, but their is more to it. Mag reliese, slide lock, how does it eject brass. (one model I tried seemed to eject straight back at my face.) please tell us what works for you.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Revolvers work fine, and you can tune a 1911 to eject out of your face. I'm a righty, but shoot lefty at the range quite a bit.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I was a left handed shooter for 15 years, carried a variety of Glock 23s, you can hit the mag release with your trigger finger and use the right hand to rack the slide, also look at the HKs, they can have left handed controls in some variants

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I have an EAA EZ9 and a Ruger SR9. The EZ9 has a ambi decocker, the SR9 has ambi safety, and both have ambi mag releases. Both are excellent firearms.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I hear ya. As a lefty, i've just gotten used to guns made for righties. Handguns are ok, it's long guns with the eject across the face that sucks the worst.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    S&W M&P Pro 9mm

Greatest pistol I have owned.

In fact, I own two in case one of them ever breaks and needs to be sent in. Probably never gonna happen, but I feel better knowing I have one just in case.

Vanguard.45

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I hear ya. As a lefty, i've just gotten used to guns made for righties. Handguns are ok, it's long guns with the eject across the face that sucks the worst.
    Rugers and Brownings man, lots of lefty rifles, from rimfire, to centerfire, compacts, etc. Good luck on your search!

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Eh, I have tried "left handed" handguns and guns with Ambi whatevers. I prefer Glocks because they have no manual safety and I use my index finger to drop the mag. It's actually easier than using the ambi mag release b/c you do not have to reposition your grip. I also use the middle knuckle on my left index finger to lock the slide to the rear.

I also like the 1911 platform. It is the same general operation for a lefty with the exception of the ambi thumb safety. I can wipe my left thumb over to the left side of the pistol if using a 1911 w/o the ambi safety but, I do not like the feel of it. I have the ambi safety on all of mine.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado

^This. I've adapted to pistols and use Glocks. Rifles are where I run into problems.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I'm left handed and am always looking out for handguns that are lefty friendly. Many shops when asked about guns for southpaws they mention glocks with ambidextrous safety, but their is more to it. Mag reliese, slide lock, how does it eject brass. (one model I tried seemed to eject straight back at my face.) please tell us what works for you.

I carry a taurus Pt1911, Im a right but shoot lefty. Its got a ambi safety from the factory that works well. Mine ejects brass fine without coming close to my face.

lane440

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    whiteland
    lefty yep, adapt and overcome , as long as im hittin what im pionting at thats all that matters . Ambi what ambi mamby pamby .

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I shoot pistol ambidextrous, equally well right or left hand. I've carried Glocks for almost two decades now, and about a year ago got a Walther PPS .40 which has the mag release as ambidextrous. It took a little training to get used to the different release, but I've come to prefer it. I EDC a Glock 29, 36, or Walther PPS depending on various factors.

As a couple others have also noted, rifle is where I have the most problem. I am strongly lefty when it comes to rifles. So much so that I made sure my latest .50bmg was LH:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/125008-just_ordered_a_ferret50_50bmg_upper.html

I got an Olympic Arms 10mm upper for my AR that is bad about brass in my face when I shoot it left hand.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    While my XD has ambidextrous mag release, and no external safety lever, I don't use it that way. I do gun manipulations ( mag change, slide lock) right handed. It seems to be natural to go from right to left handed for shooting in one smooth motion. Adaptation is a lefties friend. :)

Top Bottom