OSUT 257: Spring is Finally Here. Bring on the Outdoor Fun and Grilling Season!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Branches are all cut down. Just need to go around and load them on the trailer to dry until I can burn them. Mowing should be more pleasant next time. Cut some suckers off the Bradford pears that made it hard to get up close to them too.
    You could cut all those Bradford pears down and it'd be ok. They're showing up, volunteer here.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Only optimists plant trees :)
    Count me among the tree planters.
    The ultimate might be those who plant trees knowing full well they will never live to see that effort turn into shade or bearing fruit.

Big tree guy! I used to answer, "Why did you move all the way up here from Texas?"

Me:
    "I was looking for some shade."

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have four over grown ones to deal with yet, right in front of my garage windows.

Two more out back that I'm just going to dig out.

They're only chest high, though. Manageable, but I would trade for dwarf lilacs if I could economically do so.
    This one was about 8' tall and about the same in diameter. I've got it down to just about head height now. I'd just as soon get rid of it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The ultimate might be those who plant trees knowing full well they will never live to see that effort turn into shade or bearing fruit.
    We've got a tulip poplar out front that's about a foot in diameter and probably 30' tall. Susan and I brought it home from Lake Monroe when it was only about a 2' tall sapling. Probably around the same time we got the wisteria start.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Big tree guy! I used to answer, "Why did you move all the way up here from Texas?"

Me:
    "I was looking for some shade."
    Bought 1500 trees from the state nursery at Livonia when I moved home from Germany and left the service. Turned the front 40 acres of pasture back into jungle. Some took better than others.. Been fighting the bush honeysuckle and the autumn olive since b4 that.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    the Asian honeysuckle are are huge problem up here, they are taking over a lot of woods, killing off everything else
    If you are talking about the very invasive Lonicera japonica, it is banned from cultivation in Indiana, I learned from the local farm coop.

It has basically taken over large sections of both North and South Americas. Our carelessness has it setting up shop in Hawaii, now.

No quarter for this noxious weed!

They are beautiful!
    But I understand that Medusa was, too. Don't look at them, just kill them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just ordered a new garden hose from Ace for out back. The one I've got is old and getting stiff and brittle and kinks really bad. The new one is supposed to be kink-proof.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Just ordered a new garden hose from Ace for out back. The one I've got is old and getting stiff and brittle and kinks really bad. The new one is supposed to be kink-proof.

Those look OK to me. Brass threads. Important! Otherwise, deal breaker for me.

The "fancy" ones I bought last year took one season for the junk plated hose ends to electrolytically weld themselves to my brass back flow checks (required here - heaven forbid hose water coming back into the house system where we might wash a potato with hose water for crying out loud).

Two days of oiling, light heat, no matter. I broke a fifty dollar check valve trying to remove my hoses last fall.
    The other one, I just cut the hose, brought the check and crummy end to my bench vise. Saved the other one.

Light oil, won't happen with all brass fittings.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just picked it up. It's really lightweight! Feels more like a 25' hose than 50'. Stopped and Hardee's on the way back and picked up a double mushroom 'n swiss burger for lunch.

Top Bottom