• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have read a few comments on this weekend's Atterbury shoot and I noticed a trend of "I should not have brought this". It got me thinking about the things that I brought that I will not be bringing next time and I thought it might make a neat thread if we gathered all the junk we are not bringing back into one thread.

So, what are you not bringing next time?

I'm not bringing:

Rain Pants: I might bring my rain jacket again, jury is out, but I am not dragging my rain pants all over that range any more. If it rains, it rains.

Magnet: I have a magnet like you use to pick up nails in a driveway. I use it to police my steel cases on regular shooting days. I thought it might be helpful at Atterbury, but with so many shooters it would only help a small number of them and we would still have to wait for the others to police their casings,so it's staying home next time.

AAA batteries: My ear pro uses AAA's, but next time I'll put fresh batteries in them and not bring extras.

Extra Bolt Carrier Group: I might still bring an extra bolt for my AR, but i might not. No way am i bringing a whole BCG.

How about you? What are you trimming from your kit before the next shoot?

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Extra eyes and ears. I brought three pairs of each to hand out to shooters that forgot them. I came back with two sets of each. Next time only one extra.

Rifle. When you SB Atterbury you aren't shooting. Its that simple. not only that but it isn't like I can't piddle around at distance if I want to.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I'll admit I was a little overloaded Saturday. I adjusted Sunday and was about right. Here's what I left home or in the truck Sunday:

Tools and spare parts... there wouldn't be a chance to work on your rifle if something went down. Without another 5-square or lots of sighters, you're sunk if a scope works loose. Leave your tool set at home. A Leatherman and/or Allen wrench set maybe, but that'd be it.

Extras...extra eye/ear pro always goes with me to the range, but if you make it to Sunday at an Appleseed, you're at least "sorted out" enough to have decent ears and eyes. Leave em in the truck.

Tape/ staple gun...unused at Atterbury.

Extra brass cased ammo "just in case"... I had 0 malfunctions with Wolf all weekend, and shot a 39/40 Sunday on the last AQT. Match ammo it is not, but it is more than sufficient for field shooting. I did not see anyone else shooting .223 have any issues with the Wolf either.

Here's what I WOULD bring next time but did not this weekend...

Rain gear...I was OK with the rain we got Sunday morning, but much more and it would have been obnoxious without at least a poncho.

Spent brass baggie....loose spent brass is annoying in the bottom of your bag.

Separate bag for loose ammo... Rayne mentioned in the other thread she had one. Wolf makes good ammo, but their flimsy 20 rnd boxes and oil paper wrapping suck, especially when wet. Sorry, CJ.

More water...I thought I had enough Saturday. I ran out shortly after lunch. I was dry and definitely feeling it late Saturday afternoon. I brought more with me Sunday, and dragged my cooler/chair to the 400 yard line Sunday. It worked well to restock and drop off empty water/Gatorade bottles at the end of an AQT, and wasn't in the way.

Can't wait for the next one. I'd like a 40/40, and/or rifleman with irons. And my M1. This could get addicting and all-consuming real quick.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    I have an old cotton drawstring bag that a bike helmet or a paintball helmet used to fit it. I tie it to my ruck for spent brass and other residue. Its a good idea.

I saw you stage your cooler and thought that was SMART with a capital T.

Here is a thought for you. On the strength report I calculate a little under 9K rounds downrange over the weekend. We had zero ammo malfunctions that I am aware of. In addition, two shooters routinely produced 1.25 and 1.5 MOA sighters all the way out to 400. 1.25 moa is pretty honkin good. If I was an ammo manufacturer or importer, I would advertise the crap out of that because it is entirely the opposite of what a lot of online forum ninjas claim. We had 69 witnesses to the fact of its accuracy, in real field conditions, without use of bags, benches or bipods (except for Gary but i think we can all forgive him that one).

Bring people back and make sure they are sorted out. heck, take them to a 25M event first to get acclimated then lets forge their souls at Atterbury.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Weapons Roster

I've no idea which were used and which were not. But this is a list of the rifles brought to Atterbury. I removed the obvious I knew were not used such as a few SKS, 22LR, M1917. It's a good cross section of what showed up. The names are what folks reported to me for the roster, some are generic names, some specific. Make no assumptions based on the list other than it was a wide assortment of rifles.

Of those being used, NONE had an issue with the steel cased ammo.

Del-Ton DTI-15
    AFM
    AR-15
    AR-15
    AR15
    AR15
    ARFifteen
    Armalite M15
    Blain Rain Ord FALLOUT15
    Bushmaster AR-15
    Bushmaster AR-15
    Bushmaster AR-15
    Bushmaster AR-15
    Bushmaster Carbon-15
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Bushmaster/AR-15
    CMMG Mk-3 AR-10
    Colt AR-15
    Colt AR-15
    Colt AR15
    Colt LE6920
    Colt M4
    Colt Sporter
    Daniel Defense DDM4V1
    Daniel Defense M4
    Del Ton/Ar-15
    Del-Ton AR-15
    Doublestar AR-15
    Doublestar AR-15
    Doublestar Star-15
    DPMS AR-15
    DPMS AR-15
    DPMS AR15
    DPMS AR15
    DPMS/AR-15
    FNH SCAR 17S
    H&R Arms M1
    H&R Handi Rifle
    High Standard
    IWI Tavor
    Knights M110
    LRB Arms M14SA
    LRB Arms M25
    M1
    M1
    M1
    M1
    M1
    M1
    Marlin XT-22
    Mega AR-15
    Mega AR-15
    Mega Arms AR-15
    Mossburg MVP
    New Frontier AR-15
    Noveske N4
    Noveske N4
    Palmetto PA-15 Multi
    Palmetto PA-15 Multi
    POF USA P-416
    POF*USA P-308
    Remington 700
    Remington 700
    Remington 700
    Remington 700
    RGUNS TRR-15
    Robinson XCR-L
    Rock River Arms
    RRA LAR-15
    RRA LAR-15
    RRA LAR-15
    RRA LAR-15
    Ruger Mini14
    Savage 110
    Savage 93R17
    Savage AxisXP
    Savage M10
    Savage M110
    Sig Sauer
    Spikes Tactical AR-15
    Superior Arms IA S-15
    Vepr
    Yankee Hill Machine YHM-15

YHJ

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Elbow Pads: The grass generously supplied free of charge by Camp Atterbury was plenty soft as-is. The elbow pads never left my bag.

Extra Ammo: Wasn't sure how the steel cased Wolf ammo would run, so brought a couple boxes of brass cased stuff. The Wolf ammo ran great the whole weekend. Big thanks again to Wolf! :yesway:

(Will add anything else if I think of it.)

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    WAIT!!! Keep the elbow pads. United States Army issue grass (I think Kentucky-31 is MIL-STD) is nice and soft when its wet and damp. In August through October it is a crusty crunchy saw blade of hate that will destroy your elbows. Jus sayin.

Last edited:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I thought I had taken the extra's out of my backpack before the weekend, but I still found stuff to take out Saturday night.

I took out my tools. I wasn't going to be working on a borrowed rifle so I'm not sure why I had them.

I took out my vet wrap. I always carry some with me in case the person I have with me needs to have there stock raised. Thought I might have needed it myself on Saturday, but didn't, so it stayed home.

I'm leaving that backpack home next time too. I'm going to purchase one with lots of external pockets so I'm not having to dig for stuff.

Spotting scope. It wasn't a huge hassle to drag around, but I was tired on Sunday and not going to do it. Binoculars for Saturday is all I"ll be bringing.

There were a few things I brought and left in the truck, just in case. Like a set of gloves, elbow pads, dry clothes, rain gear and a surplus of water. The rain gear got moved to the backpack on Sunday.

Things I will bring next time. Lip Balm, I'm still nursing a blister on my bottom lip from sunburning my lip. I usually have some with me, but not this time.

Flip Flops for the drive home. Whether my feet were hot or wet, depending on the day, flip flops would have been the answer.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there's more. I'll probably remember about the time we are shooting our red coats next time.

Top Bottom