14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm not advocating officer safety, I'm more of the common sense tactics type of person. As a non police officer, if I knock on a stranger's door, I'm not standing in front of the door. That's just common sense and self preservation.

Would a reasonable person answer the door armed? Probably. Would a SMART person refuse to open the door unless they were absolutely certain who was on the other side? ABSOLUTELY!

I'm not siding with the police on this. At best, it was a questionable shooting, and that's giving insane amounts of "benefit of doubt". From what I've seen, it wasn't a good shoot, but that doesn't mean the victim was 100% faultless. If anything, this should be a good lesson that YOU SHOULDN'T OPEN THE DOOR!!!
    Agree with you 100%. But I don't go knocking on strangers doors.

But if you're an apartment dweller, how do you solve for that situation?

Let's say they don't answer the door, officer breaks down the door. Reasonable person would shoot the person who broke down the door, before they verified ID, no?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Let's say they don't answer the door, officer breaks down the door. Reasonable person would shoot the person who broke down the door, before they verified ID, no?
    IF I was an apartment dweller, I'd be doing what I can to make sure my door is harder to open.

If someone is attempting to break down my door, I'm defending myself. I'll be conveniently positioned behind cover, and I'll do what is necessary to survive.

However, this isn't what happened. The victim made a poor decision to open the door. The police officer made the poor decision to shoot first and ask questions later. Both sides ****ed up. One side is the ultimate loser.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    MiLiTaRiZaTiOn Of PoLiCe.
    The attitude of some people about the killing of this young man is disturbing. Mr. Stein if that was your son who was shot for being armed in his own home would you still react like this? I FN doubt it. If you ever wonder to yourself where the ACAB crap comes from, well your looking at it pal.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The attitude of some people about the killing of this young man is disturbing. Mr. Stein if that was your son who was shot for being armed in his own home would you still react like this? I FN doubt it. If you ever wonder to yourself where the ACAB crap comes from, well your looking at it pal.
    Whatever makes you feel better about yourself for saying it. Pal.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Law Enforcement doesn't cede all rights by virtue of their occupation, including the inherent right of self defense.
    This wasn't self defense. This was a man with a handgun on his side in his castle. There was no threat from this man to LE to preempt the response he was given from the LEO.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

How do police ID themselves to a deaf person? Through a door.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    IF I was an apartment dweller, I'd be doing what I can to make sure my door is harder to open.

If someone is attempting to break down my door, I'm defending myself. I'll be conveniently positioned behind cover, and I'll do what is necessary to survive.

However, this isn't what happened. The victim made a poor decision to open the door. The police officer made the poor decision to shoot first and ask questions later. Both sides ****ed up. One side is the ultimate loser.
    Once again, a reasonable response.

Would be nice if we could all approach situation like the officers faced with less trepidation and maybe a phone call to the address first. Shame that things have gotten so dangerous that we have to approach every call with SWAT like preparation and nerves keyed up to fight or flight levels. Only long term solution is more personal contact between people in a community and caring about and for each other. Tough to swim upstream against the current though.

Top Bottom