• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    its not at all too powerfull, infact its got less energy then a 9mm, even tho its a bottle necked cartrige it really dosnt pack that much punch, as far a useing for self defence....why not, thats what it was made to do,

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    its not at all too powerfull, infact its got less energy then a 9mm, even tho its a bottle necked cartrige it really dosnt pack that much punch, as far a useing for self defence....why not, thats what it was made to do,

Quoted from Wiki,

The cartridge has an average muzzle velocity of around 442 metres per second (1,450 ft/s), and has about 544 joules (401 ft·lbf) of energy. However, given the wide disparity in ammunition manufactured in many different nations, ammunition will be encountered that yields much higher velocity. Most newly manufactured ammunition intended for commercial use has a higher average velocity of approximately 1,560 feet per second (480 m/s). Wolf Gold FMJ tops out at 1,720 feet per second (520 m/s) with 570 foot-pounds force (770 J) as does PPU ammunition. Some of this ammunition, such as the Wolf Gold and Sellier & Bellot, uses boxer primed, brass cases that are reloadable.

Show me the 9mm that will go 1700fps. The round was designed for penetration, with cold Russian winters in mind. The Tokarev is a single stack gun that might not be considered compact but would still conceal reasonably well.

I have a CZ52, which also shoots the 7.62x25, and some PPU ammo, and I just got a chronograph that I haven't tried out yet, maybe a test is in order.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My son has one & this is his favorite gun. Unless he finds something he likes better this is the gun he wants to carry when he turns 18 next year.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My only issue with carrying the Tokarev is that the gun was not designed with the safety. It was added to make it legal to import. I am really hesitant about using a safety that was an afterthought.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Curious if anyone has thought about carrying the M57 Tokerav for a daily carry? Is the round too powerful for SD? Also is there a safety issue?

I own one, but wouldn't carry it. why?

1. Single stack
    2. Crummy add-on safety
    3. unreliable surplus ammo
    4. over-penetration issues
    5. no firing pin block

Top Bottom