• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Just curious if anyone carries reloads for self defense. I have recently started reloading so I would have plenty to shoot, but had no plans to reload self defense rounds. I'm starting to wonder why not. There are plenty of self defense rounds out there to reload, and my reloads have been 100% reliable except for some early .380 rounds with a less than reliable powder measure. And with most of the self defense rounds costing about $1 per round, I was considering it somewhere down the road. :dunno:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I personally don't carry my reloads. I don't have a good reason either. I guess I don't "trust" them although they've worked 100%.YMMV.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Just curious if anyone carries reloads for self defense. I have recently started reloading so I would have plenty to shoot, but had no plans to reload self defense rounds. I'm starting to wonder why not. There are plenty of self defense rounds out there to reload, and my reloads have been 100% reliable except for some early .380 rounds with a less than reliable powder measure. And with most of the self defense rounds costing about $1 per round, I was considering it somewhere down the road. :dunno:

Mas Ayoob, says NO !!!!! I believe it, and THAT settles it !!!!!

JMHO ..... YMMV .....

Also, if you don't know, the "new" d prosecutor in Marion Co., loves to go after self defense "shooters" .....

PLEASE don't give her an opportunity to try a case, here !!!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've yet to see a case where the reload/not reload had any relevance. I know that inevitably someone will bring Ayoob's statements on the matter in, and while I respect his opinion I'm not interested in what happens in CA or NJ. I know for a fact reloads have been used in a self defense shooting here and it wasn't an issue. I also know that prosecutors routinely make the decision on justified/criminally charged without ever asking about what kind of ammo was used. It remains a non-issue in a criminal case.

That said, I carry factory ammo. I would carry reloads, especially in my revolver, if need be but see no advantage to doing so over factory self defense ammo. The factory knows what velocity their bullet design works at and they load it for that, and assuming you're carrying a common caliber there's plenty of proven loads available. It also seems like one less thing to talk about if you get sued. Cost savings is negligible, considering how many self defense rounds you're going to fire in training.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I feel a little ignorant due to the need to educate myself on who Ayoob is, but now that I have educated myself, I'm glad I asked. Seems a little assinign that we should have to worry about a lawyer, when we are trying to save our own life or the life of a loved one, but I guess that is the world we live in. A lot of interesting ideas and points from INGO. Thanks to those that responded.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Could always load rounds of similar performance for training but carry the factory stuff.

THIS. Unless you have some spectacularly awesomely foolproof QC in your reloading setup, stick with the factory stuff. Ive had exponentially more failures and inconsistencies with reloads than with factory ammo. (yeah, yeah, yeah, they ALL can fail) Facing a charging/armed threat is absolutely NOT the time for a failure to fire, hangfire, squib, etc. Some things are best left to the experts.

I feel a little ignorant due to the need to educate myself on who Ayoob is, but now that I have educated myself, I'm glad I asked. Seems a little assinign that we should have to worry about a lawyer, when we are trying to save our own life or the life of a loved one, but I guess that is the world we live in. A lot of interesting ideas and points from INGO. Thanks to those that responded.
    :faint:

He's awesome. LOTS of great knowlege, and VERY much worth your time as a shooter to get to know his work. He's been teaching since today's hot trainers were in diapers or picking their noses in grade school. (the late 70s I believe)

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Well, we have an INGO member who put 3 reloaded 10mm rounds into the face of a robber in Marion county and guess where he is now?

At home with his family smoking a Rocky Patel cigar while sipping on a freedom size glass of Knob Creek.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Well, Terry Curry is the prosecutor. He's a he. He's not new, having been first elected in 2010. His office, IMO, has given quite a bit of leeway for self defense shootings.

Get out of here with your facts. Ain't nobody got time for that. Only conspiracy theories and gunshop wisdom is allowed as truth around here

Top Bottom