• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    If an agency and prosecutor want a conviction, anything could become an issue. The ammo in the gun is a very small piece of the puzzle. If it's a justified shooting reloads won't matter much. However in a questionable case, it could have a bearing. I do sometimes pack reloads,and don't worry about it. JMHO

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Always factory....I'll use reloads when I'm out of normal rounds. For me it's simple, factory loads are typically more reliable. If out of 100 rounds the factory misfire 1, and the reloads misfire 2, I want that extra 1%.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If anyone is interested in Ayoob's take on this, check out his book "Deadly Force, Understanding Your Right to Self Defense." It contains several examples.

In short, Using reloads might not make any difference, or it might be a problem. Depends on the circumstances. Why take the chance?

Free if you have Kindle unlimited in Amazon

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The only real considerations would be (1) Can I reload competently enough to insure the quality of my loads? (2) Are my reloads as good as commercially available premium defense ammo? (3) Is it truly a big savings to reload my carry ammo vs. premium commercial ammo, considering how little is used? For me the answer to #1 is yes, but the answers to #2 and #3 is no. If you want to try to duplicate your premium commercial ammo for training, then have at it, but loading your own defense ammo isn't really worth it. I personally wouldn't consider some lawyer's reach regarding the type of ammo a factor. If you have to shoot in self-defense, you can assume that you will be sued and have to defend your actions. It'll cost you a bundle of money to defend yourself, even if you were clearly in the right. The type of gun and ammo you used will be the least of your worries, IMHO.
    I'm not sure I understand this.
    1. Yes
    2. Seems like it. Are Winchester primers somehow less reliable when they sell them individually versus loaded in their self defense ammo? Is Unique powder somehow inferior to other factory powders? And are Hornady or Barnes bullets sold separately somehow lower quality than when loaded at the factory?
    3. Factory self defense loads cost about $.80 per round. My reloads with Quality HP about $.22.

I currently load extremely inexpensive lead cast for target shooting and carry factory self defense rounds. I am just thinking there could be a time when factory self defense loads are not available, or food and shelter is more important than buying 25 rounds for $20. I have worked the last 35 years and am currently unemployed. So I have just been thinking of all sorts of ways to save money. This might not be one of them, but I like to hear everyone's opinions before I make decisions.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't invoke his name and walk away. What's Ayoob's reasoning? It was either reasonable to use deadly force or not.

Ayoob has good reasons to make his own recommendations. One thing some forget to consider is Ayoob travels all over but most of his advice is for the New England and west cost areas (Mass, NY, NJ California) where what we in Indiana do everyday with firearms can be a felony there!

Fortunately we don't really have to have that kind of concern here.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm not sure I understand this.
    1. Yes
    2. Seems like it. Are Winchester primers somehow less reliable when they sell them individually versus loaded in their self defense ammo? Is Unique powder somehow inferior to other factory powders? And are Hornady or Barnes bullets sold separately somehow lower quality than when loaded at the factory?
    3. Factory self defense loads cost about $.80 per round. My reloads with Quality HP about $.22.

I currently load extremely inexpensive lead cast for target shooting and carry factory self defense rounds. I am just thinking there could be a time when factory self defense loads are not available, or food and shelter is more important than buying 25 rounds for $20. I have worked the last 35 years and am currently unemployed. So I have just been thinking of all sorts of ways to save money. This might not be one of them, but I like to hear everyone's opinions before I make decisions.
    As far as #2, I just find it harder to match factory specs of premium ammo with canister powders. The factories usually blend powders to get optimum results that we sometimes cannot with canister powders. Winchester primers are fine and in the thousands that I've used, I cannot remember getting a bad one. Of course, in a pinch, you can use your own hand loads for self-defense. I think as long as premium factory rounds are available, the few that one actually buys and uses makes the cost savings less significant to me over time. You still have to buy the premium bullets if you want to match factory and that is the most expensive component. Having said that, yes any good load can work for self-defense, as shot placement is king.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You're on the right track...

That's what I do. Just curious about the idea in case money was really tight, and options were limited.
    ^^^
    Good thought here..

As you can, buy a good supply of Speer Gold Dots, Hornady XTP, and if you can find, Remington Golden Sabers--Projectiles only for your stock up of SHTF loads..Load them Hot with GOOD brass...Bill.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    As far as #2, I just find it harder to match factory specs of premium ammo with canister powders. The factories usually blend powders to get optimum results that we sometimes cannot with canister powders. Winchester primers are fine and in the thousands that I've used, I cannot remember getting a bad one. Of course, in a pinch, you can use your own hand loads for self-defense. I think as long as premium factory rounds are available, the few that one actually buys and uses makes the cost savings less significant to me over time. You still have to buy the premium bullets if you want to match factory and that is the most expensive component. Having said that, yes any good load can work for self-defense, as shot placement is king.

Thanks for the info. I priced the expensive bullets at $.22 to load a round. My cast loads run around $.11 per round. I use them on steel and water bottles mostly. :):

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    This is the basis for Ayoob's statements:

Handloaded Ammunition: Not a Good Idea for Concealed Carry/Self Defense

I don't doubt his experience, however as I've said that's not what I've observed locally.
    I don't understand how reloads vs factory ammo relates to whether an assailant was close enough to endanger you. What his experience does show is that "law" in the launch sites for flying over "fly over land" is less than rational.

FWIW I don't use reloads for defense, not because I don't have confidence in my ability (I've used reloads for competition) but because I don't believe my QC is better than what the factory has for premium ammo and the stakes are higher. Likewise, I don't have the ability to add flash inhibitors to my powder. If SHTF and i ran out of factory SD ammo, I'd use my reloads without a second thought--in spite of they're being moderate velocity RN bullets.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Don't some factory powders advertise being produced with flash inhibitors now?

also I carry factory ammo

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    In short, Using reloads might not make any difference, or it might be a problem. Depends on the circumstances. Why take the chance?

This is what I am thinking. Why add anything else to the equation that could "possibly" be a problem, even if it has not been a problem before in Indiana? Once Hitlery gets in office, things are only going to get worse.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't understand how reloads vs factory ammo relates to whether an assailant was close enough to endanger you.

It doesn't. It relates to evidence after the fact. Ayoob is talking about the amount of gun shot residue deposited on the victim/victim's clothing and using that to work up distances at the time the shot was fired. I don't know the particulars of Ayoob's case but let's look at a hypothetical.

Billy and Wanda are buying dope from Larry. Billy decides to rob Larry with a knife. At 3' away, Larry pulls a gun, fires once, and kills Billy. Wanda swears that Billy was 20' away and backing up with Larry murdered him. There are no other witnesses or video. Which would Larry rather have from the lab?

A factory exemplar result vs the actual result of whatever reload, evidence that impeaches the shooter's story and corroborates the (liar) witness story.
    A factory exemplar result vs the actual result of a factory round, evidence that impeaches the (liar) witness story and corroborates the shooter's story.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Midway has Hornady and several other bullets on sale. I would like to load some 124 grain XTP 9 mm bullets. That is the same grain lead RN cast I load. Maybe try some ballistic tests for the fun of it. :):

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I carry my hand loads every day and don't see a need for paying for a pretty box of "defense rounds".

If someone feels like their life is in danger and deals with the problem; what difference does it make the tool they used? Baseball bat, knife, shovel, frying pan, hand load from a nine mill. Its irrelevant.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have worked the last 35 years and am currently unemployed. So I have just been thinking of all sorts of ways to save money. This might not be one of them, but I like to hear everyone's opinions before I make decisions.

Midway has Hornady and several other bullets on sale. I would like to load some 124 grain XTP 9 mm bullets. That is the same grain lead RN cast I load. Maybe try some ballistic tests for the fun of it. :):

So, to be clear, your motive is supposedly to save money but you want to buy XTP bullets and do some DIY bullet testing? Are you sure your goal is to save money, or is it to justify playing around with reloads? I'm completely ok with playing around with reloads, but be honest with yourself on what your real goals are. Else you're likely to end up disappointed.

If you want to save money, here's quality 9mm defensive ammo at 50 cents a round that's proven in both professional testing and in multiple real shootings.

Federal HST 9mm 147 Grain LE JHP

Buy a couple boxes, you're good for the next several years. Continue to use lead RN for practice.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    So, to be clear, your motive is supposedly to save money but you want to buy XTP bullets and do some DIY bullet testing? Are you sure your goal is to save money, or is it to justify playing around with reloads? I'm completely ok with playing around with reloads, but be honest with yourself on what your real goals are. Else you're likely to end up disappointed.

If you want to save money, here's quality 9mm defensive ammo at 50 cents a round that's proven in both professional testing and in multiple real shootings.

Federal HST 9mm 147 Grain LE JHP

Buy a couple boxes, you're good for the next several years. Continue to use lead RN for practice.

LOL. You got me. I'm hoping for gift cards for Christmas to buy the XTP bullets. I am currently stocked with Hornady Critical defense ammo. 100 rounds in boxes plus about 10 mags full. Between the HPs, the CZs, the Sig and the 2 Kahr CM9s. Plus all the HP rounds in .357 mag, 38 special + P, 44 mags and the .380s. I think my point was, it will run out someday, and I just wanted opinions has to why, or why not, load my own in the future. However distant that might be. I got several opinions, a lot of good advice, and I will take it all under advisement. Thanks for the website. I will keep those Federals in mind.

Top Bottom