Et tu, Steak n' Shake? Ejected for OC...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrubaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    My favorite restaurant slaps me in the face...

I went to see The Campaign a few weeks ago on opening night. Naturally my mates and I needed some food and we landed at the Steak 'n Shake on Ireland Rd. in South Bend. I was OC'ing my Beretta 92.

Were seated, took our order, got our drinks, sat for about 20 minutes. Up comes the manager.

[manager]: Are you a police officer?
    [me]: No.
    [manager]: Some of my employees noticed that you were carrying a gun when you came in.
    [me]: Yes, I am.
    [manager]: Would you be willing to take it out to your car?
    [me]: Why? Is there a problem?
    [manager]: Some of my employees are kinda uncomfortable. You know, with all the stuff that just happened in Colorado. So would you be willing to take it out to your car?
    [me]: I am more comfortable having it on me because of events just like that one in Colorado.
    [manager]: It would be easier if you could just take it out to your car. I've called my general manager and he told me that it was up to me to handle the situation. I do have the right to refuse service.
    [me]: Okay. [continue to sit...awkward silence]
    [manager]: So are you going to take it out to your car?
    [manager]: Okay. Then I'm going to have to refuse you service.
    [me]: I guess that's you're prerogative.

We stand up and walk toward the door just as our waitress brings out a tray with our food on it. I'm forced to walk by it and sniff the greasy deliciousness as she gives us an apologetic look and says, "I'm sorry guys!"

Of course all the things I should have said came to me afterwards, but that's how it went down. We went across the street to Applebee's and ate next to four uniformed police officers who didn't seem to mind my OC, but maybe they didn't notice.

Why did you have to ruin it for me, Steak n' Shake? Why?!?

I've OC'd at other Steak 'n Shakes closer to my home with no issues at all. Farewell, South Bend Steak 'n Shake. I shall remember you with little to no fondness...

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    My favorite restaurant slaps me in the face...

I went to see The Campaign a few weeks ago on opening night. Naturally my mates and I needed some food and we landed at the Steak 'n Shake on Ireland Rd. in South Bend. I was OC'ing my Beretta 92.

Were seated, took our order, got our drinks, sat for about 20 minutes. Up comes the manager.

[manager]: Are you a police officer?
    [manager]: Some of my employees noticed that you were carrying a gun when you came in.
    [me]: Yes, I am.
    [manager]: Would you be willing to take it out to your car?
    [me]: Why? Is there a problem?
    [manager]: Some of my employees are kinda uncomfortable. You know, with all the stuff that just happened in Colorado. So would you be willing to take it out to your car?
    [me]: I am more comfortable having it on me because of events just like that one in Colorado.
    [manager]: It would be easier if you could just take it out to your car. I've called my general manager and he told me that it was up to me to handle the situation. I do have the right to refuse service.
    [me]: Okay. [continue to sit...awkward silence]
    [manager]: So are you going to take it out to your car?
    [manager]: Okay. Then I'm going to have to refuse you service.
    [me]: I guess that's you're prerogative.

We stand up and walk toward the door just as our waitress brings out a tray with our food on it. I'm forced to walk by it and sniff the greasy deliciousness as she gives us an apologetic look and says, "I'm sorry guys!"

Of course all the things I should have said came to me afterwards, but that's how it went down. We went across the street to Applebee's and ate next to four uniformed police officers who didn't seem to mind my OC, but maybe they didn't notice.

Why did you have to ruin it for me, Steak n' Shake? Why?!?

I've OC'd at other Steak 'n Shakes closer to my home with no issues at all. Farewell, South Bend Steak 'n Shake. I shall remember you with little to no fondness...

Sounds like Steak & Shake didn't ruin it for you, the ignorant manager did.

Madine85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    We often go to Steak n Shake here in S. Indiana and have never had an issue with open carry. So I guess that particular manager/staff had issues. Either way thats kinda stupid.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Ignorant people everywhere. I'll have to make it a point to go there tomorrow before I see the The Expendable II.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, Madine and I eat at the one in Clarksville all the time, and I OC. Nary a comment.

In fact, now that I think about it, I've never had a negative comment from anybody in Clarksville, in probably 2 years of OC'ing. Probably every restaurant there, lots of stores, gas stations, the mall, etc. People seem ok with it around there.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Good job on your part. Too bad for S&S :noway:

Suggest a follow-up w/management since the manager may not have acted in accordance with policy :twocents:

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I would go ahead and send a polite email to the district manager, with the details of that, and maybe link them to this thread, where you posted for thousands of potential customers to see that they do not support your rights.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I haven't been to Steak 'n' Shake in years.
    Even more reason to avoid it.
    Scumbags will be scumbags, but it doesn't mean we have to be around them or give them our money.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yeah, Madine and I eat at the one in Clarksville all the time, and I OC. Nary a comment.

In fact, now that I think about it, I've never had a negative comment from anybody in Clarksville, in probably 2 years of OC'ing. Probably every restaurant there, lots of stores, gas stations, the mall, etc. People seem ok with it around there.
    Same here! They did have a management problem a few years ago, which caused me to refuse them my business (not enough employees, took WAYYY too long to get food), but they got that worked out, and I've since returned. Never had an issue with anybody there about carrying. Never had an issue in Clarksville, either, but I AM pretty well known around these parts.:D

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    It is NOT S&S policy that you cant carry a firearm on the property, ive seen to many other S&S OC videos where the managers asked the police to leave. Follow up with corporate/with a lawyer. Sounds to me like that guy could be in a TON of trouble

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Just OCd in greenfield S&S day before yesterday....

I never get good or even decent service there but my parents are treated like rock stars.....

Anyway, to the OP, that really sucks the manager has such a fear of the law abiding citizen protecting himself and those around him. It's people like that who deserve to be victims and have nobody to protect them. They are usually the biggest and loudest cry babies too afterwards.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    It is NOT S&S policy that you cant carry a firearm on the property, ive seen to many other S&S OC videos where the managers asked the police to leave. Follow up with corporate/with a lawyer. Sounds to me like that guy could be in a TON of trouble

Following up with corporate is great. Don't know what a lawyer could do. The ignorant manager does have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Following up with corporate is great. Don't know what a lawyer could do. The ignorant manager does have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.
    Sort of true! If the DM or corporate was told that OP was asked to leave for doing something totally legal, they would go APE $%##!! The right to refuse service is more for people being general A-holes. Sounds to me like he was talking with the family when he was asked to leave. Nothing A-hole like or illegal about it. He also need to bring INGO into it. If the word of 20,000 less potential customers reaches higher ears, there will be follow ups to this.

I worked in retail for almost two years before i went of to school. The company had no rule against firearms in the store, OC or CC. According to my manager, who has been with the company for years, if a manager asked someone to leave the store for OC, that manager can get into a LOT of trouble.

I have a feeling S&S may be the same way

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom