Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    jdgatliff, from the way I'd understand it (IANAL)..

Sure, you could come here, but Indiana says to legally carry a handgun (protection or hunting/target) you have to have a permit. Since IL doesn't issue a permit, as such, you can't carry it, even to a range, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jdgatliff View Post
    Since your crossing state lines Firearms Owners’ Protection Act should apply if you are taking it to a place where you can legally posses it??? If I'm understand it right.

Here's where I got that from.
    NRA-ILA ::
    NOPE you are misinterpreting the law.

There are overlapping laws that make things very confusing. An IL resident can travel THROUGH the state of Indiana with a handgun but not TO the state of Indiana with a handgun . . . as per the determination of the D.N.R.

Federal law protects travelers who are traveling through a jurisdiction. However if you are traveling to somewhere there is a potential problem. The D.N.R. has determined that Federal law does not protect someone who is traveling TO a range in Indiana but rather that the person must comply with INDIANA law. Indiana law requires a license/permit to carry a gun, and that includes transporting it to a gun range within the state. Therefore someone traveling from IL to IN to a gun range much be 'carrying' and therefore must comply with IN law.

Probably the easiest license to get that would allow a non-Hoosier to carry in the state of Indiana is the PA non-resident permit. Unlike the Utah or FLA permits, the PA permit does not require training so its quicker to attain but is far more limited than the other two popular permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbajms View Post
    . . . Indiana says to legally carry a handgun (protection or hunting/target) you have to have a permit. Since IL doesn't issue a permit, as such, you can't carry it, even to a range, right?
    RIGHT, no carry, not even to the range.

But its legal for an Illinois resident to bring a gun to Indiana if that resident is staying in a hotel room in Indiana. Its not legal to remove it from the hotel room, except to continue a journey, or to return home.

Avast ye scurvy dogs! jbombelli's Avatar

Tell him to get a non-resident license from another state (the aforementioned I hear are good for a lot of states), and he'll be good to go here. As long as he's not an Indiana resident. If he MOVES here, he'll need an Indiana license.
    The price of freedom is blood. The moment we are no longer willing to pay that price, we are no longer free.

jbombelli, I think you mean *when* he moves here :P

I thought that if an Illinois resident has a FOID card for the weapon he wants to shoot here, it was ok. I now read that I am wrong? And where can I find where it says that a FOID isn't recognized?

Thanks

All the FOID shows is that they are permitted to own a weapon in Illinois. It's not a license to carry, only to own, so it doesn't count as a LTCH or carry permit.
    KYFHO

Quote Originally Posted by singlestacksig View Post
    you must have a handgun permit to carry, hunt, or use at a dnr range a handgun..
    if your state does not issue a carry permit you have to get an indiana non res permit..
    Incorrect ***, even though there are a couple of exceptions, as a general rule, Indiana DOES NOT issue non res LTCH's.

Quote Originally Posted by bdj357 View Post
    Correct...the reason is basically because one needs a permit to carry a handgun publically. Without one, they can not carry a gun on a state owned public range.
    Incorrect, public or private, doesn't matter. There are only 3 specific cases where a LTCH isn't required when carrying and/or transporting a handgun in Indiana.
    On property you "own" or are a legal tennant.
    From a place of purchase to your home.
    From your home, to a place of repair and back.
    Through the state of Indiana when neither the origin or destination of the trip, is a point within the state of Indiana.
    At all other times, the person carrying and/or transporting a handgun must also posess a valid LTCH or carry permit issued by another state.
    I KILL THREADS

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Incorrect ***, even though there are a couple of exceptions, as a general rule, Indiana DOES NOT issue non res LTCH's.
    Actually, YOU are the one who is incorrect.
    The State does issue a NON-Resident LTCH. Try again...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
    Incorrect, public or private, doesn't matter. There are only 3 specific cases where a LTCH isn't required when carrying and/or transporting a handgun in Indiana.
    On property you "own" or are a legal tennant.
    From a place of purchase to your home.
    From your home, to a place of repair and back.
    Through the state of Indiana when neither the origin or destination of the trip, is a point within the state of Indiana.
    At all other times, the person carrying and/or transporting a handgun must also posess a valid LTCH or carry permit issued by another state.
    Two words for you reading comprehension...
    The reason I am Peaceful, is because I like Violence and Mayhem a little to much...

Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by jediagh View Post
    Hu?
    Are you saying is Person A (has an IN LTCH) and Person B (no IN LTCH) are at range. Person B can not use Person's A handgun while at the range?
    IANAL, and AFAIK no one has ever been arrested or convicted of such, and AFAIK LEOs interpret the it the way the DNR sign in the OP says it...

But if you read the law word for word there is no pretection (exemption) in the IC for a non-LTCH to have a handgun "on or about" his/her person or in his/her vehicle without a license. Not on a range, Not in a car, not on a train, not in a box with a fox, not in a house with a mouse.

If a person is at any range or on public or private land or in someones home and has a handgun in their hand technically they have no defense they way the words of the current law are written.

Like I said, I can't point to anything that says it's interpreted that way, but that is the way it is written.
    AMERICA - Clinging to our GUNS and RELIGION since 1776.

NRA Certified Instructor - Rifle, Pistol
    www.danvilleconservationclub.org
    www.jpfrog.org

OK all thanks for the info. I think I have a better grasp of the answer.
    How does this sound.

[Note the event in question is the NWI Meet & Shoot held at Winamc (a DNR Range)]

Q: I live in IL and would like to attend the event. Can I bring my guns as well?
    Everyone is welcome to attend. Winamac is a free public range. Please note that non-Indiana residents must have a license or permit to carry a handgun from either Indiana or another state that Indiana recognizes (see here for more info) in order to bring their handguns to the range. The IL FOID card DOES NOT count to meet this requirement. You CAN bring a long guns (rifles and shotguns) WITHOUT a license/permit.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast