• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The transporting unloaded was always moot for anyone other than an IN citizen.

I think what you run into with others shooting at ranges in IN is that those ranges are private property and the state of IN can't tell you you can't carry on private property.

I agree. Most folks seemed to get really spent up on the old law. As a former municipal LEO what I found is very few (not counting the metro areas like Indy, Gary etc) would make an arrest on that for an unloaded handgun not carried on their person. If I discovered someone transporting an unloaded handgun in a case not loaded there was no way I would try to arrest them. Personally that was way to low on the scale to really worry about and even if you wanted to unless they were a complete @#% the prosecutor here would throw it out. Or other prosecutors would allow them to defer it unless there was more to it than just a simple traffic stop etc.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Just in case somebody finds this old thread through a Google search, as I did on July 3, I want to make sure there's something here to indicate that Indiana revised the law effective July 1, such that IL residents can now legally shoot at IN ranges. Check out this thread for info.

I've been to the Kingsbury range a couple of times (with my Utah CCW) and thoroughly enjoyed my time away from Crook County. Thanks for the hospitality.

Quite possibly the most effective use of the NecroPost that i've ever seen.

Well done and welcome to the board!

:D

diamonddav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    martinsville
    can i carry my handgun to Il . I have a In LTCH .My son lives in Danville , Ill like to visit but don't want to spend the weekend in their facillities.

gunfreak6989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    july 1st law change no permit needed to transport a gun to and from the range in indiana or transport to your friends house just has to be unloaded and ammo somewhere else in the car i was happy about that one

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    IF they work an hourly job & work 40 plus hours..
    ISP denied a permit for my brother in law because his work in Indiana was for our family farm and did not pay an hourly wage..

Ever thought of appealing? I sure would. The law says "regular" it doesn't say 40 hours a week, among other thing it does not say.

regular:
    1. having equal times or spaces between: occurring in a fixed, unvarying, or predictable pattern, with equal amounts of time or space between each one
    2. happening frequently: occurring or doing something frequently enough over a period of time to establish a pattern, though not necessarily a strict one
    3. usual: normally expected, or most often used or done

Is he taxed on his earnings from the farm? If you brother works on the family farm "regularly" and obtains financial gain from doing so, I would not deny the LTCH.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    IF they work an hourly job & work 40 plus hours..
    ISP denied a permit for my brother in law because his work in Indiana was for our family farm and did not pay an hourly wage..

I would appeal that...especially it being farm work. As a kid, we ALWAYS carried out in the fields.....you never know when you will run across a coyote, or a rabid critter. (Had a rabid raccoon go through the combine once......it was a mess.....)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Ever thought of appealing? I sure would. The law says "regular" it doesn't say 40 hours a week, among other thing it does not say.

regular:
    1. having equal times or spaces between: occurring in a fixed, unvarying, or predictable pattern, with equal amounts of time or space between each one
    2. happening frequently: occurring or doing something frequently enough over a period of time to establish a pattern, though not necessarily a strict one
    3. usual: normally expected, or most often used or done

Is he taxed on his earnings from the farm? If you brother works on the family farm "regularly" and obtains financial gain from doing so, I would not deny the LTCH.

yes, we went through one appeal, then he got his FL permit.. but without payroll of x hours they denied it.. they did not consider material participation in an investment regular business..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I would appeal that...especially it being farm work. As a kid, we ALWAYS carried out in the fields.....you never know when you will run across a coyote, or a rabid critter. (Had a rabid raccoon go through the combine once......it was a mess.....)

yeah, after the 2nd dog pack attack , we thought it would be good for him to have a handgun on hand.. you cant always have a long arm when you are doing other things..

for us it is a moot point, he got a FL permit & the law allows carry on private property w/ permission.. but I like to let people know ISP seems to ad extra requirements for out of state permits...

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    july 1st law change no permit needed to transport a gun to and from the range in indiana or transport to your friends house just has to be unloaded and ammo somewhere else in the car i was happy about that one

Not true. Just has to be unloaded, encased and inaccessible. NOTHING in the statute says anything about ammo. This is one of those old gun-shop fables.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Assumption: Magazines must be empty, as well?

No. The magazine may be loaded, but,can not be in the gun, but it CAN be in the same "container" with the gun. (Need not be in a seperate compartment) The gun can not have a round in the chamber.

Just remove magazine, eject the round in chamber (if there) and you're good to go.
    Container must be closed - completely surrounding gun/ammo. (Zipper/velcro, etc.)

Top Bottom