• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    A friend forwarded me some pictures of the Willow Slough shooting range. I just thought I would pass these along to you guys.

KIMG0218_zpsmn0ymiyy.jpg

KIMG0219_zpsgogzbwnq.jpg

KIMG0220_zpsmroqpjbx.jpg

KIMG0221_zpsr1ftrevc.jpg

KIMG0222_zps0f2vnunz.jpg

KIMG0228_zps6ajgr2ie.jpg

KIMG0231_zpsoyts1j9w.jpg

KIMG0237_zpsim2nqer3.jpg

KIMG0241_zpsjquseibz.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Very nice. Looks like they are following the same design as the Atterbury public range. What will be the max distance? 100 yds?

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    This is looking great. Much better than the weathered berm and tables. Hopefully they install a better target holding system and not the chicken wire, sticks, and clothes pins that they had before. And a few more things: more lanes, a lane greater than 100 yards, and 100 yard iron sight shooting would be nice too.
    Definitely watching this:popcorn:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    This is looking great. Much better than the weathered berm and tables. Hopefully they install a better target holding system and not the chicken wire, sticks, and clothes pins that they had before. And a few more things: more lanes, a lane greater than 100 yards, and 100 yard iron sight shooting would be nice too.
    Definitely watching this:popcorn:
    What's a 100 yard iron sight shooting ?

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Man I remember the day when you "shoot what you brought" and that didn't mean the gun you brought. That meant the washing machine, microwave, etc. Now those were the days. Sure, once in a while your buddy would shoot one over your shoulder while you were down range but we were men and we just laughed it off. Lol not like these millinials these days with very tender feelings

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I went there once about three years ago, I took a Lee Enfield. When I signed up in the Range Officer's building he asked me what I brought. I told him a 303 and that I wanted to see how it shoots at 100 yards or something like that. He told me that most people usually shoot surplus rifles at fifty yards or he recommended that I do that, he didn't say anything to me about not being able to use the 100 yard range. I don't know if I will be returning after the remodeling is done, I enjoy going to Winamac and really want to try Kingsbury.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I went there once about three years ago, I took a Lee Enfield. When I signed up in the Range Officer's building he asked me what I brought. I told him a 303 and that I wanted to see how it shoots at 100 yards or something like that. He told me that most people usually shoot surplus rifles at fifty yards or he recommended that I do that, he didn't say anything to me about not being able to use the 100 yard range. I don't know if I will be returning after the remodeling is done, I enjoy going to Winamac and really want to try Kingsbury.

+1 for Winamac:D

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

+1 for the Winamac range:D

Last edited:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Man I remember the day when you "shoot what you brought" and that didn't mean the gun you brought. That meant the washing machine, microwave, etc. Now those were the days. Sure, once in a while your buddy would shoot one over your shoulder while you were down range but we were men and we just laughed it off. Lol not like these millinials these days with very tender feelings

Yep, the Slough's range used to be pretty wild at times. I remember hunting doves in area 9, which is directly downrange of the gun range, and having rounds go singing by overhead. Undoubtedly someone was shooting at one of the previously noted "targets"....probably nowhere near the backstop...and I would bet it was with a cheap SKS...ah, the good old days!!

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah I remember the one they had at LaSalle. It was pretty much the same. They eventually shut it down. It's a shame because it was the closest one in the area.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I don't know if I will be returning after the remodeling is done, I enjoy going to Winamac and really want to try Kingsbury.

If the remodeling is your reason to stay away from Willow, you won't like Kingsbury. What you see going in @ Willow is pretty much what's been done at Kingsbury for quite some time. Has more stations than Winamac, but there's the usage fee, extra loud reports and it can be really cold under those concrete covers (like 15*).

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Willow is the closest place for me to shoot rifles. No private property to use for target practice. I hope this renovation helps out and that they don't gouge on prices if they add a fee.

gfb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2016
    Jasper Co
    It's not far from me but I've always heard bad things about their range officers so I haven't bothered checking it out.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    No problems here either at any of the DNR ranges.

Though, I'm also not touching my firearms during a cease-fire or walking beyond the firing line on a hot range.
    The couple of times I've seen someone get an earful, they deserved it for their own safety and the continued safe operation of the range.

Top Bottom