• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    The range officers have always been good to me and my son when we go there. But we have been going there for years and we play by the rules. Honestly, I don't like when I'm down range and I see someone going back to their bench and screwing with things.

It may be against the rules but I always keep and gun on me and I keep an eye over my shoulder when I am down range. Way back in the day before the R.O.'s were there we had a muzzle loader stolen out of the open trunk of the car while we were down range at the 100 yd.

It's been a couple years since I have been to WS and many years before that. I had private land I could shoot at but have since lost that. So I look forward to a nice range again.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Was a little bit of the Wild West, in years back. No RO, benches were old, but worked. Safety is probably lot improved. I also had a couple guys squeeze off a round, so I still carried downrange. Installed slings on my rifles/shotguns to sling over my shoulder, unless I had a partner for backup. Most rules are common sense, but some guys.... need to be attentive.
    Hope the change pushes out gangbangers, and is safety oriented.

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    Just found this thread.

Has anyone been to the "new & improved WS" yet,.. or are they still working on it ?

I checked the hotlink in post 22, but I must be missing something. :dunno:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Seeing this thread about the upgrades at WS and mentions of other IDNR ranges being" upgraded". Begs the question. I wonder if the Winamac range will get changed as well? Wondering if the IDNR is trying to make all the ranges the same? Anyone have any insight?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Nothing in IDNR website. Googled it, latest info is that the range will close for renovations.

Supposed to reopen mid - late Summer 2016.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Seeing this thread about the upgrades at WS and mentions of other IDNR ranges being" upgraded". Begs the question. I wonder if the Winamac range will get changed as well? Wondering if the IDNR is trying to make all the ranges the same? Anyone have any insight?

As of JUNE 2016 there were not plans in the pipeline for upgrades at WINAMAC. That info was obtained directly from the manager of WINAMAC DNR when we did the 3rd DNR/NWI INGO family event.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Drove past the Range at WS couple weekends ago. Still had closed signs up, but looked very good compared to 15yrs ago. Has Concrete overhead, even has sand on top near the end of it. Gates were locked, Hardhat Zone signs still up. Would like to see it open soon. That's all Folks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yep, the Slough's range used to be pretty wild at times. I remember hunting doves in area 9, which is directly downrange of the gun range, and having rounds go singing by overhead. Undoubtedly someone was shooting at one of the previously noted "targets"....probably nowhere near the backstop...and I would bet it was with a cheap SKS...ah, the good old days!!

I was there when some bone head put bowling balls on TOP of the 100 yard berm to shoot with a centerfire rifle. When I talked to him about it, he acted like I was a crazy person trying to convince him of something silly. I was also there when some jokers with an Illinois plate parked the car sideways to the range and were shooting SKS rifles from inside the car. I guess they were trying to improve their drive by shooting skills.

Other times, I would meet safety minded gentleman who were serious about honing their shooting skills, testing accurate ammo and enjoying a little social interaction.

I support the laws proving public ranges, and fully believe that if the taxpayers underwrite the cost of any public park for community use, that firearms ranges should be represented as well. Personally, I am willing to pay for private shooting ranges for my own use.

I never did understand the guys who would empty out the dump on the range to shoot at and then leave the mess.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom