Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein View Post
    What about the situation where you or your husband is hurt to the point of death or incapacitation and to get help for you your child is going to have to talk to an LE officer? Is your teaching going to be black and white or are you going to allow a little gray in there?
    thats what family is for. The school has all that contact info and I can hardly see how the police talking to my child is gonna help that situation. I definitely DO NOT want a police officer telling my child mommy and daddy are hurt bad. besides, say the cops cant get ahold of the family, are they really gonna ask a childs permission to take them to a safe place anyways? no.

Quote Originally Posted by E5RANGER375 View Post
    thats what family is for. The school has all that contact info and I can hardly see how the police talking to my child is gonna help that situation. I definitely DO NOT want a police officer telling my child mommy and daddy are hurt bad.
    I'm not talking about at school with the school notifying your child you are hurt. I'm talking about the child being by themselves and needing help for one or both parents.
    Anyone up for a barbecue?

Grandmaster
    What about the situation where you or your husband is hurt to the point of death or incapacitation and to get help for you your child is going to have to talk to an LE officer? Is your teaching going to be black and white or are you going to allow a little gray in there?
    Apparently her husband will be sol in such case.
    Rest to our Brave, our Honorable, our Fallen

Quote Originally Posted by 88GT View Post
    When Police Interrogate Children | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty

SCOTUS decision upcoming on "custody" status when being questioned by police in a school environment. Long story short: prosecutors argued the 13y/o boy wasn't "in custody" and no reasonable man would have thought that he was either. (What about a reasonable 13y/o?????) Ergo, there were no violations of any of NC's multiple statutes that were disregarded.

I'll be honest: this increasing intrusion of the nanny state into the schools with the simultaneous empowerment of the police state is a large part of my decision to homeschool. I only hope that I can walk that fine line of teaching my children not to talk to LE without making them (LE) out to be the enemy.
    I think this is a great idea!!! May I make a suggestion? I was homeschooled and I loved it. Being in homeschool of course made it apparent that there were other groups of homeschoolers out there, and often networking starts. I noticed very rapidly that in some ways many homeschoolers were socially retarded, or at the very least socially stunted. I was not.. and I wondered why. As I got older I learned the difference. I was heavily into boyscouts, 4H, and my Grandmother worked very hard to get me on the school sports programs and music (since we paid the taxes to the school she made the argument I should have some access). The school agreed and these things gave me the avenue into different forms of social structure that are ESSENTIAL for a growing child. The kids that didn't have that were significantly affected and it still affects many of them today. Just a suggestion from experience!

Thanks,
    Matthew

Shooter
    I'm not talking about at school with the school notifying your child you are hurt. I'm talking about the child being by themselves and needing help for one or both parents.
    mine knows how to dial 911 only for when theres an emergency. I have made sure I didnt teach her police are bad. I just taught her we dont tell strangers, even police, stuff without mommy, daddy, or grandma or grandpa saying its ok. thats just good common sense in my opinion. its not unreasonable to assume that criminals also dress up as police and try to take our children.

Quote Originally Posted by E5RANGER375 View Post
    mine knows how to dial 911 only for when theres an emergency. I have made sure I didnt teach her police are bad. I just taught her we dont tell strangers, even police, stuff without mommy, daddy, or grandma or grandpa saying its ok. thats just good common sense in my opinion. its not unreasonable to assume that criminals also dress up as police and try to take our children.
    You're going off on a tangent. I'm talking about a gen-u-ine emergency where E5 or Mrs. E5 is incapacitated to the point that little E5 needs to contact the police and tell them that there is something wrong and that you need help. Have you taught your child never to talk to the police without you there so that your child just lets you lay where you are without calling help for you? After all, one should never talk to the police, no matter what.
    Anyone up for a barbecue?

I dont teach them that police are bad, but just they do not have my kid's best interests in mind all the time as I or my wife would. I do not want some interrogation to lead them to admitting they were someplace that could be taken a wrong way by the wrong person only looking to get their arrest/conviction rate up. And they are out there. Trust me. My wife and I are the only people that will 100% without question or fail have our kid's best interests in mind and I will be dammned if I am not going to be present for anything like that.
    Nature eliminates the stupid, regrettably the stupid breed faster.

Shooter
    You're going off on a tangent. I'm talking about a gen-u-ine emergency where E5 or Mrs. E5 is incapacitated to the point that little E5 needs to contact the police and tell them that there is something wrong and that you need help. Have you taught your child never to talk to the police without you there so that your child just lets you lay where you are without calling help for you? After all, one should never talk to the police, no matter what.

no tangent here. im just trying to describe things. im not trying to argue here.

yes I have taught her how to ask for help. im wont teach my child to be a mindless robot who only speaks when her parents allow her too. I want her to be a free thinker. also not that it would ever happen, but what IF she needed help from a parent? I wouldnt want her to not get help.

in reality there is only so much detail I can get into with her now because of her age. so I just have made it simple as I know how. She is NOT afraid of the police. I have friends who are police officers and she loves them and knows that they protect us from the bad guys , but she also knows daddy does that too

when she goes to school she also will be told to make sure I or my wife is called if she is in trouble in the office. I dont need some school administrator talking to or scolding my kid without me there. if she did wrong, she will face the music, but Im the parent and will take responsibility for it.

Marksman
    So....Kids should be allowed to steal? Let's forget about the rights of your neighbors who had things stolen from them, your kids and their freedom from having to answer for the things that they've done wrong are more important.

All that being said, I realize that the majority of parents on this site are better parents than what I must deal with in my job. Also, I realize that an effective parent is a better preventative than putting a juvenile in the criminal justice system. I just know of a lot of parents of 20 year olds that would rather get their kids out of trouble than make them act like adults.

Wow, what a leap.
    Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under. -- H.L. Mencken

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast