Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Impressions of it? Didnt get to hear every word but my overall impressions:

Ruoert is for repealing right to work--kind of a surprise that a libertarian doesn't believe in liberty. He also seems to have difficulty completing sentences--my guess is he's also in favor of legalzing marijuana too.

Gregg--typical democrat. Wants to cow-tow to teacher's unions to "fix" education. Wants to blame right to work for all the ills of the state...we're all doomed to $8/hr jobs.

Pence--typical republican. Seems to want to continue on in Daniel's footsteps.

Missed out on what they said about Obama-care...something about Gregg wanting some sort of hybrid arrangement?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm very afraid for our future in Indiana...

Rupert is in way over his head period.

Gregg had some great things to say, I like him, his attitude, his common sense approach. I completely disagree with his views on right to work and health care, oh yeah and education!

Pence, he is cut from the same cloth as every other problem I've seen in polatics. I agree with his views in most places, I just don't like him.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Disappointed is all I can say. I was really wanting to consider voting for Rupert but I don't think he has a real plan and I don't like the repeal of right to work. I'm ok with legalizing pot so that doesn't bother me.

Gregg lost me completely when he said healthcare is a right, not a privilege. :rolleyes:

Looks like I'm leaning towards Pence at this point.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I did agree with Rupert on how the schools are too caught up in teaching our kids on how to pass multiple choice tests. They certainly are easier to grade but unless they are written very carefully, they don't usually really test what the students know. I wasnt overwhelmed with either Pence's or Rupert's proposals.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This biggest problem with the edu system has nothing to do with the teacher student relationship. It has everything to do with the parent student relationship. Learning happens at home not in the class rooms. New ideas and concepts are introduced to students in the class room, but actual learning happens at home.

If you want better students strengthen families, don't dump money and failed policies on our school system... all three missed that one.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    This biggest problem with the edu system has nothing to do with the teacher student relationship. It has everything to do with the parent student relationship. Learning happens at home not in the class rooms. New ideas and concepts are introduced to students in the class room, but actual learning happens at home.

If you want better students strengthen families, don't dump money and failed policies on our school system... all three missed that one.

QFT

I tell my kids teacher every year that they're job is to supplement the learning she gets at home and that we have to communicate effectively.

She has had straight As since kindergarten.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I have a friend on facebook who is a teacher where I went to high school (who is also running for political office). He was a political type teacher. He posted this a few weeks ago.

Here is what happens when government gets involved in education. My final exam for Spectra students consisted of paragraphs and essays. This was similar to what they will see at the university. Now, my final is 40 multiple choice questions and one paragraph. This is not what they will see at the university. Rather than prepare them for college, the state wants them to be a statistic on a website page. It is my hope that parents will realize that the hands of teachers are being handcuffed by people who are not interested in helping public schools.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Unfortunately, I've got to disagree with your teacher friend. Many of the courses I've taken have gotten away from essays in favor of scantron tests. I'm thinking it is because the better professors are busy doing research and don't want the burden of grading hundreds of pages of hand written (of various quality) answers. The other problem is that many of the younger professors don't have real world knowledge so they wouldn't really know how to grade another type of exam so they default to the multiple choice test bank from the publishers. I will agree that students aren't prepared to the type of work or the expectations they'll be seeing at the university level but that is what you get when you teach for tests.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Unfortunately, I've got to disagree with your teacher friend. Many of the courses I've taken have gotten away from essays in favor of scantron tests. I'm thinking it is because the better professors are busy doing research and don't want the burden of grading hundreds of pages of hand written (of various quality) answers. The other problem is that many of the younger professors don't have real world knowledge so they wouldn't really know how to grade another type of exam so they default to the multiple choice test bank from the publishers. I will agree that students aren't prepared to the type of work or the expectations they'll be seeing at the university level but that is what you get when you teach for tests.

This is really unfortunate. As I worked through college and especially through grad school, I found I usually did better on exams where I had to write out an answer instead of coloring in a circle. It was too easy to misread a question or screw up on selection of multiple choice answer. (that is, unless they also graded the answers on grammar and/or spelling :) )

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Out of the three I think Rupert was the least impressive. I have decided that I cannot support anyone who represents the Democrat party, even on the local level. So that leaves Pence, I have heard him speak in the past and liked him. Maybe he had an off night or just wasn't use to the forum but he will be my choice.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Does Rupert understand that the governor is not some kind of super legislator that can simply repeal a law because he wants to?

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    My DVR was set to record this but for some reason didn't. :xmad: I tried to search for video of this but couldn't find any. If anyone sees it online, could you please post a link?

Top Bottom