• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If Rupert is going to show up for any more debates, he might want to give some thought to washing some of the grease out of his hair and beard and learn how to say more than ten words in a row without including "empower". If I were a Libertarian, I think that I'd be more than slightly embarrassed.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I listened to it on WOWO last night.

Rupert- I would not want him running my lemonade stand. Seems like a nice guy with the best of intentions, but. . . . .

Gregg- I disagreed with basically everything he said.

Pence- To be honest, I have always liked Mike, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he does. In my opinion, by far the best of the three.

This is a easy decision for me, I am going for Mike.

Pretty much that. I would vote for Daniels again if I could, even if I don't like 100% of what he's done I like a lot of it and it's nice to have a governor that actually does something instead of just mucking about with committees and overly priced consultants then never doing anything and blaming the legislature for it.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Wow... so somehow Libertarians can find a way to rationalize forcing people into Unions? Which is nowhere in the Constitution?

Rambone, you buy this??

So why aren't these guys run out of the LP on a rail for not being "pure" enough ?

While Rand Paul isn't a "Real Libertarian" because... uhh welll... why was that again???

Is this a case of "selective incrementalism"???

Um it is my understanding that the law is regulating private contracts between unions and private employers. Who are you to tell them how to run their business? If you dont want to pay union dues dont agree to work for the employer. Though if you read the article I posted it goes into more detail and describes how it isnt so simple. Because unions have been using government force to their own ends creating the need for laws like RTW.

Furthermore, anyone can call themselves anything but it doesnt make it so. It also depends on what you want to use as a definition of libertarian. But I am fine saying that Rand Paul is a libertarian and I call myself a libertarian. Though, I am skeptical of the so called Libertarian party. I doubt I agree with anyone on every issue and I am sure that is true for anyone that actually thinks for themselves.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Um it is my understanding that the law is regulating private contracts between unions and private employers. Who are you to tell them how to run their business? If you dont want to pay union dues dont agree to work for the employer. Though if you read the article I posted it goes into more detail and describes how it isnt so simple. Because unions have been using government force to their own ends creating the need for laws like RTW.

Furthermore, anyone can themselves anything but it doesnt make it so. It also depends on what you want to use as a definition of libertarian. But I am fine saying that Rand Paul is a libertarian and I call myself a libertarian. Though, I am skeptical of the so called Libertarian party. I doubt I agree with anyone on every issue and I am sure that is true for anyone that actually thinks for themselves.

Ah, so ideological purity is the province of we unthinking Republicans, is it, even though we may not agree with everything our Party does? Doesn't much sound like what we're hearing elsewhere on the forum, though.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Furthermore, anyone can call themselves anything but it doesnt make it so. It also depends on what you want to use as a definition of libertarian. But I am fine saying that Rand Paul is a libertarian and I call myself a libertarian. Though, I am skeptical of the so called Libertarian party. I doubt I agree with anyone on every issue and I am sure that is true for anyone that actually thinks for themselves.

Right To Work is not the answer. The answer is repealing the laws that allow unions to hold businesses hostage.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Ah, so ideological purity is the province of we unthinking Republicans, is it, even though we may not agree with everything our Party does? Doesn't much sound like what we're hearing elsewhere on the forum, though.

Sure, whatever floats your boat.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Right To Work is not the answer. The answer is repealing the laws that allow unions to hold businesses hostage.

I believe a voluntary society is the most moral society that can exist in the world. Ours stopped being voluntary long ago.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Wow... so somehow Libertarians can find a way to rationalize forcing people into Unions? Which is nowhere in the Constitution?

Rambone, you buy this??
    Me? I don't think I've ever weighed in on RTW, but I can see coherent arguments on both sides that do not run afoul of the constitution or libertarianism. Personally I think I lean pro-RTW.

The simplest argument against RTW is that it limits private parties' ability to form contracts. And since nobody is entitled to a job, no employee is "forced" to do anything. Anyone is free to leave, or not hire in.

I can't fault somebody for using this reasoning.

I don't know what Rupert's reason is, and I did not see the debate.

So why aren't these guys run out of the LP on a rail for not being "pure" enough ?
    ?

While Rand Paul isn't a "Real Libertarian" because... uhh welll... why was that again???
    Not sure if/why this is directed at me, but I think Rand Paul is a real libertarian.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If Rupert is going to show up for any more debates, he might want to give some thought to washing some of the grease out of his hair and beard and learn how to say more than ten words in a row without including "empower". If I were a Libertarian, I think that I'd be more than slightly embarrassed.

He was stuck on the "Change" thing. Reminded me of the big "O"
    If that is all the Libertarians can shake up and put in front of the electorate then yes, a bit embarrassing for those who follow this political belief. Did nothing to sway me in that direction.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    He was stuck on the "Change" thing. Reminded me of the big "O"
    If that is all the Libertarians can shake up and put in front of the electorate then yes, a bit embarrassing for those who follow this political belief. Did nothing to sway me in that direction.

What? I can't believe when you finally get a chance to hear a Libertarian speak that you weren't struck by the brilliance of his ideas and moved to immediately change your vote. Must be because you can't think for yourself?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    But he said if you are in the union, you have signed up to be forced into that sort of activity... need to work on the reading comprehension.
    Do you think the Governor should have an opinion about the reasons a private club may fine its members?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What? I can't believe when you finally get a chance to hear a Libertarian speak that you weren't struck by the brilliance of his ideas and moved to immediately change your vote. Must be because you can't think for yourself?

A few have stated that change needs to start at the local level and I agree. If a 3rd party ever wants to get any steam in its boilers then they have to win at the local and state levels. This was not a good start in that direction.

Actually he did more stammering and stumbling than speaking. Total deer in the headlights.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Me? I don't think I've ever weighed in on RTW, but I can see coherent arguments on both sides that do not run afoul of the constitution or libertarianism. Personally I think I lean pro-RTW.

The simplest argument against RTW is that it limits private parties' ability to form contracts. And since nobody is entitled to a job, no employee is "forced" to do anything. Anyone is free to leave, or not hire in.

I can't fault somebody for using this reasoning.

I don't know what Rupert's reason is, and I did not see the debate.

?

Not sure if/why this is directed at me, but I think Rand Paul is a real libertarian.

Not totally directed at you. in another thread others of the hard core L crowd indicated that he was not... Lex Concord iirc. I guess there's more flexibility in the L crowd than one would think.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    But he said if you are in the union, you have signed up to be forced into that sort of activity... need to work on the reading comprehension.

:facepalm:

I dont know what you think I thought I said but I think you are confused.

Top Bottom