What do you think about modifying the glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    So far as changing the springs, new guide rod, or trigger sytem? I recently bought two of the Arredondo Mag Extension (+5 .40) for my G22. I was considering a mag well, the benefit of a higher grip seems worth it. Was wondering if anyone ever changes stuff up a bit.

I know the glocks are amazing out of the box, but I cant help to tinker and upgrade. I have already field stripped the gun and have a pretty good understanding of the parts. Just thought I would ask the experts about the do's and dont's of gun modification.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you don't think the Glock is perfection right out of the box (and it's not) then buy a real gun. Glocks are for guys who know very little about firearms.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If you don't think the Glock is perfection right out of the box (and it's not) then buy a real gun. Glocks are for guys who know very little about firearms.

Wow!

That's alot of kerosene. Should get the fire burning pretty fast now...

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

:dunno: Why's that? I own a Glock among other handguns and long guns. To the OP I like Glock's the way they come, although the 3.5 trigger spring is nice. If you like to tinker why not, it's your gun after all.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Just kidding guys. But when some one makes a statement like " I know Glocks are amazing" I just can't help but laugh. A Glock trigger feels like a staple gun. I know that people can shoot them very well but why handicap yourself?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    In my professional opinion as someone who has spent hours at the trigger of T25 and T59 staple guns. I have to say that the glock trigger is much better. :D

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I personally don't have any issue modifying a Glock. I own a Glock 17 that I had a trigger job done on and it shoots a lot better now for me. The thing is, if you don't like shooting the gun you are probably either going to ignore it or sell it (usually at a loss), so I don't see why you wouldn't change it out to fit you desires. Nothing in this world is perfect, and when it comes to guns I don't see any problem changing them to fit your wants or needs. I like getting trigger work done on my Glocks, that's my suggestion.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    That's mainly what I was considering was lightening the trigger pull. I love the way it shoots, but if I can reduce recoil and better the accuracy, I think it would be worth it.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    The only thing I will add, as a "guy who knows very little about firearms" with approaching 20K rounds through my stock G22 is that the only time I've seen a Glock systematically fail has been after it took a trip to a local "Doctor" and had about 6 non-oem parts put in it.

The solution was to put all the stock parts back then install the 3.5lb connector (it's a range gun).

As for why handicapping oneself, all I can say is quod erat demonstrandum

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    wondering what gun(s) would be for "guys who know a lot about firearms"?
    hipoint.gif

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    If they make the mods for them why not. If you enjoy the gun but want to make some small changes to please yourself, I would go with it. They are not going to fit everybody the same from the factory. So make yours unique to yourself!

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Don't. I used to be big into tinkering inside them, but after years behind the bench 99% of the Glocks people bring in have been changed out to some exotic race part. Want a lighter trigger pull? Take the mechanical and biological slack (take up) our of the trigger, master the reset, and tada... a lighter crisp trigger awaits.

Extended slide lock levers are a waste, Rack the slide instead. Plus they are not meant to send the slide forward, but to be used to lock it back instead. Rack that thing.

Once I really started using my Glock, I realized how pointless those fancy parts where. Buy ammo and take the money you saved and get a good instructor to walk you though the fundamentals.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    To me, any gun, modern or classic, is never off limits as to what I might want to change on it.

Glock nor Smith & Wesson has ever made anything sacred in my eyes. That goes for any other gun maker as well.

I've got a target trigger and hammer in my Combat Magnum, and have no problem adding cosmetic and mechanical additions to my Glock or CZ's.

I wouldn't do any of this gaudy stippling I see everywhere. But don't sell me a Bren Ten, I might just have it parkerized.

schhrdkncks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Ohio county Indiana
    Modifying is fine unless it is a carry gun. I carry either a glock 19, 26, or my 36 and the only mods I would make to a carry gun would be the sights. The glock plastic sights suck if you have to rack the slide one handed. They eventually break off.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    First thing I would do with a glock if I were going to keep it is to swap barrels. I am not a fan of being limited on what ammo I can use.

Top Bottom