What do you think about modifying the glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I spent 30 years building and competing with guns like these....

compglenn1911.jpg

And I have to say the Glock I put together for steel shoots has a trigger as nice as the 1911 and is as almost as accurate as the S&W. I have never been a Glock fan...only time I would shoot one was for a GSSF competition but the ZEV trigger on a comped gun has really opened my eyes. It is dead nuts reliable an very smooth to shoot. I just need to change the grip angle....

Love the knife collection dude.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If it's not broke then don't mess with it. I'm all about things being simple. If a gun performs out of the box as I expect it to. Then I keep it, if not, it gets sold. If I where to shoot competition, I would not want some overly tuned pistol. Not when I'm going to carry a pistol that is factory fresh out of the box. Or, even if the pistol is intended for carry only. It's a combat pistol, keep things simple. That's my .02!

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    To my (simple) mind this is much like the debate when Kimber and Springfield started shipping 'factory custom' 1911's that shot well, looked good and had decent triggers.

The "I've been building 1911's for 30 years" crowd came out and said that the factory guns just couldn't be any good because they weren't hand fitted by someone with a Brownell's catalog.

My glocks shoot as well as I can hold them and have never let me down, I'll stick with what works for *me* and hope everyone else sticks with what works for *them*.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Just kidding guys. But when some one makes a statement like " I know Glocks are amazing" I just can't help but laugh. A Glock trigger feels like a staple gun. I know that people can shoot them very well but why handicap yourself?

You may be handicapped by it, but I like the Glock trigger. I actually shoot it better than many other guns I have owned, and I have been shooting handguns off and on for 23 years. It works great for some people, not so much for others. That is true of any handgun. Different (trigger) strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Ive got about 50k through my G34 and I would echo some of the previous comments. IMO aftermarket parts, except for barrels and sights, are something I would avoid. The vast majority of problems I have seen are when people swap out factory for aftermarket parts to do the same thing.

Instead, modify the factory part you have. Put a DIY trigger polish job on it, new sights, and run it. Ive tried various guide rod and spring combos and ended up back at the stock one. IMO, magwells on Glocks are a wasted effort. Some people like and use them, but I dont think its worth anything. Keep in mind the Sevigny won the Nationals in Limited division using a G35 that would have been legal in Production.

Simple is good.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I agree that modding a gun that is carrying for SD or used for HD is not a wise idea. As I said my Model 19 is bone stock except for the original version of the New York trigger. The only thing I would consider doing to it is adding Trijicon sights.

However...my 17 is meant for competition where speed is a major factor and there will likely be a target rich environment. The competition I shot last Father's Day for example had a handgun stage with 40 steel targets. The exceptional trigger and comp on the 17 got me a 1st place on that stage, something I could not have accomplished with the gun in factory configuration. Properly fit and installed aftermarket parts do not decrease reliability, my 17 has been as reliable tricked out as it was before I started modding it.

Love the knife collection dude.

That is just the tip of the iceberg...:D

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    If you don't think the Glock is perfection right out of the box (and it's not) then buy a real gun. Glocks are for guys who know very little about firearms.

Simplicity in design coupled with recorded reliability and longevity is not a "real gun"? There is a whole market based on alternate parts and supplies for the Glock alone (not considering all the firearm manufacturers who followed suit with Glock producing their own version).

Glocks are for guys who don't NEED to know alot about firearms to know they are looking at a real gun.

Joshua

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Also, I began modifying my model 19 from the day I bought it. I have thousands and thousands of rounds through it without any patterns, or issues to speak of. Now.. was all the money I blew in mod parts really worth it? Probably not. I think there are limited drop-in items that really make a difference in the performance of the gun, namely the connector, and guiderod. Joshua

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I don't know if I'd call it "mod'ing" my glock, but I added a set of "Decal Grips" and colored the front sight with a tomato orange/red finger nail polish. It helps me pick up the front sight quickly and the extra thickness and texture from the decal grips made it fit "just right" for my fat hands.

I've strongly considered putting in a 3.5 pound trigger connector but worried about the legal ramifications should I get in some sort of legal battle. You never know what lawyers will try to use against you.

Other than that, I plan on having one of my Glock 22's done up to match my .308 rifle when I get the rifle done. Probably some FDE/Coyote brown over desert sand two tone finishing or something.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Lots of information forming in this thread. I appreciate all the input. Well so far the only changes I have made to anything were the mags. I added +5 extensions to two of them. Other than that I think I will just go with a new guide rod.

Glock just happens to be what I am starting with, I really like the 1911's, they are just out of budget right now. I went with .40, but plan to move up. I can see a collection in my future. :)

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I keep all my Glocks stock. My buddies try and tell me to swap this and that, Why in the world would i wanna mess with something that works every time? I like'em bone stock!!

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    All of my Glocks have a 3.5lb trigger bar from Ghost. I tried other brands, but for me, this one seemed to feel the best. So, besides night sights on a few, that is really all I have done.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I chopped the frame on my glock (from the full size to the compact frame), and swapped out a few parts.
    I put in a 3.5lb trigger bar, a stainless guide rod, an over travel adjustment trigger housing, did a polish job on internal parts, stippled the grips and in front of the take down bar, undercut the trigger guard some, and cut a finger grove in the bottom of the trigger guard.
    I obviously don't have a problem altering my glock. I have kept all the stock parts and could swap them back in at any time if I wanted/needed to. I have a few thousand rounds through the gun with most of these parts w/o any problems so I don't see an issue with altering a glock.
    I say decide what you want the gun for and build it to fit that box (if you feel it does not already do so). I.E. If you want a carry piece you might want to polish the trigger mech to smooth everything out, but not put in a fancy competition style trigger with overtravel/take up adjustments. If it is a race gun, you might want to put a magwell on it and possibly even a red dot sight. Decide what you want out of the gun and go from there.
    Also, take advice from internet forums (including my advice) with a grain of salt, everyone is an expert online :) :twocents:
    Have fun and stay safe.
    JT

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've never been satisfied with the texture on the frames but aside from that I've shot them stock for about 16 years now. I did some training last weekend with a couple of heavily credentialed men who both had some modifications to their pistols. I talked with them about the mods and decided to try them for myself. The parts came in this past week and I've got them installed and ready to go. I'll be trying this configuration out next week to see how I like it.

P1040198.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The mag extensions and magwell are what I added. The extensions add capacity but more importantly weight which aids in the mags falling free. I'll be adding an extended slide stop as soon as I can get my hands on one.

I didn't ask for permission to mention who I trained so I'm not going to mention their specific unit. They were US Military, Special Operations though.

Top Bottom