What do you think about modifying the glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Just kidding guys. But when some one makes a statement like " I know Glocks are amazing" I just can't help but laugh. A Glock trigger feels like a staple gun. I know that people can shoot them very well but why handicap yourself?

Subjective opinions are just that...subjective! I'm no fanboy, but I'm not a hater either. I've had a limited experience with Glocks, and was overall pleased with them. OP; if you don't change/tinker with your Glock, it has no uniqueness. Personalize that bad baby!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Don't. I used to be big into tinkering inside them, but after years behind the bench 99% of the Glocks people bring in have been changed out to some exotic race part. Want a lighter trigger pull? Take the mechanical and biological slack (take up) our of the trigger, master the reset, and tada... a lighter crisp trigger awaits.

Extended slide lock levers are a waste, Rack the slide instead. Plus they are not meant to send the slide forward, but to be used to lock it back instead. Rack that thing.

Once I really started using my Glock, I realized how pointless those fancy parts where. Buy ammo and take the money you saved and get a good instructor to walk you though the fundamentals.

:+1: Excellent!

The best advice I've heard regarding modifying any gun is: unless you can identify a specific problem the modification corrects, don't do it!

Many "trick" or "cool" modifications make guns worse, not better; some to the point of making guns inoperable.

Proceed with caution!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My 19 is completely stock with the exception of an original New York Trigger (not what you get these days). It is a first year production 19 and I can't even begin to guess at the round count through it. I still carry it occasionally and it works as well today as it did in 1988. I can't think of any mods that would improve it today.

My 17 on the other hand is set up as an unlimited gun with ZEV Fulcrum Trigger. The trigger has no pre-travel, almost zero after-travel, very short reset, and breaks just under 3 pounds. It also sports a Lone Wolf barrel, Carver Comp and Burris Fast Fire.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My 19 is completely stock with the exception of an original New York Trigger (not what you get these days). It is a first year production 19 and I can't even begin to guess at the round count through it. I still carry it occasionally and it works as well today as it did in 1988. I can't think of any mods that would improve it today.

My 17 on the other hand is set up as an unlimited gun with ZEV Fuldrum Trigger. The trigger has no pre-travel.
    Since the "pre-travel", or take-up, is really the bump on the transfer bar pushing down the firing pin safety and making the gun ready to fire, how is it possible to eliminate that?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The only mods that I've done to 3 out of 5 of my Glocks are luminescent sights on several, CT laser on three of them and the longer mag release bar on all of them. I think the stock mag releases are too short and I have to turn the guns in my hand to drop the empty magazine one-handed. BTW, I've never had any failure of any kind with any/all of mine.

boblade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    The Only thing I can say about a Clock is that they are like buying a New Car you lose About a 3rd of the cost if you drcide to sell and there are alot of them on the market after the police,FBI,CIA,and ever other goverment jobs that require you to carry a ccw got rid of them.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Besides all the typos (trust me on typos, I am a pro) I have no clue what you just said. I literally had to put my sandwich down and think about what I just read.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Since the "pre-travel", or take-up, is really the bump on the transfer bar pushing down the firing pin safety and making the gun ready to fire, how is it possible to eliminate that?

Trust me...a Glock has more pre-travel than just depressing the safety. At least every single Glock I have shot or sold in my gunshop did. They all have a somewhat spongy feel to the actual trigger break. If you aren't feeling it you are yanking the trigger, not pulling it till it breaks. Try the trigger on a Glock then one a well tuned 1911. The ZEV trigger feels just like the tuned 1911.

Mild to wild....

1917.jpg

Last edited:

weaverml34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Ultimately you need to decide what purpose the gun is going to serve for you. A carry or home defense piece should be left stock except for some good sights. God forbid if you ever use it in a self defense situation, a prosecutor will pick apart every change you've made to it. If it's going to be something to plink with by all means do what you wish but I suggest you listen to this first before you go and spend a bunch of money. This guy can be kind of cheesy but he has some valid points that he makes.

Episode 127 – $1200 Glock 21SF and a mixed bag of gun talk. | Handgun World Show

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you spend twenty years customizing and repairing and competing with tuned 1911s and S&W revolvers then listening to people talk about how "great" and "perfect" and "amazing" a Glock is, it's pretty hard to keep a straight face. But hey, if you like them then nothing else matters. I'm still going to laugh though.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    If you spend twenty years customizing and repairing and competing with tuned 1911s and S&W revolvers then listening to people talk about how "great" and "perfect" and "amazing" a Glock is, it's pretty hard to keep a straight face. But hey, if you like them then nothing else matters. I'm still going to laugh though.

I saw a guy at a Fighting Pistol course chuck 2 of his tuned 1911's 10-20 yards after they both failed in less than 200 rounds, after he argued with the instructor that his were reliable and his were special, and found him self shooting a Glock to get through the class.

Unless the 1911 was built by hand and I mean by hand by a very skilled craftsman, I then might consider it, but more often than not, I'd still take my Glock 19.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana

I spent 30 years building and competing with guns like these....

compglenn1911.jpg

And I have to say the Glock I put together for steel shoots has a trigger as nice as the 1911 and is as almost as accurate as the S&W. I have never been a Glock fan...only time I would shoot one was for a GSSF competition but the ZEV trigger on a comped gun has really opened my eyes. It is dead nuts reliable an very smooth to shoot. I just need to change the grip angle....

Top Bottom