• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm more into long guns but I am thinking about adding a handgun to the collection. I'm curious what your opinion is of what is the best SHTF handgun. Reliability (without constant cleaning) and ability to find compatible magazines and ammo if all production should cease would be the most important qualities I'm looking for. I would like something with decent stopping power that ammo is affordable enough to shoot from time to time. Also something small so that if I decided to carry it is easy to conceal would be a plus. By the way I am a total noob when it comes to handguns so assume I know nothing.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Glock 26. 9mm ammo. Will take G26, G19, and G17 mags. (10rd, 15rd, and 17rd. 33rd mags too.) Relatively small in size, relatively easy to carry. Easy to clean if necessary.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I like the Glocks too but if you were to have to "make" your own bullets and reload, then Glock is NOT the best choice. Glocks DO NOT LIKE LEAD!
    I know that every new handgun sold has a manual and it states very clearly that your warranty will be voided if you were to use reloads on your purchase of their weapon.
    Even so, the Glocks have a higher potential risk of failure with Lead projectiles. A good SHTF weapon would need to have the ability to manufacture projectiles from lead and use these as your ability to stay up with ammo needs.
    I have shot reloads out of a S&W -- Sig Sauer -- Springfield. I tend to thing that if you stay to a USA manufacturer of magazines that SHTF, you would be able to get parts for your weapon, mags and bullets. The 45 caliber uses between 3.5 to 7.0 grains of gun powder for reloads. A pound of gun powder has 7000 grains.
    So if we use 5.0 grains for an average, you could reload 1400 rounds. An 8lb container of powder with 200lbs of lead you should be able to reload about 14000 of 230 - 245 grain round nose lead bullets. IF you were to try to stock up enough rounds to last "a life time" with factory rounds it would be financially hard. So buying
    8 lbs of Tite Group or Bullseye powder is about 130.00 (Priced yesterday)
    10,000 Primers would be 400 - 500.00
    But 1000 Factory loaded "Brass" rounds. 480-550.00
    A cheap Lee Precision reloader w/most accessories. 150.00 for Lee Load All.
    A die set from Lee Precision in the caliber that you wish to carry. (Also would be able to buy another die set for backup weapon and the nice thing about the 2 powder's I listed is that they will load most handgun calibers.
    Lead Mold for caliber that you need. A 6 bullet mold is best, About 50.00
    You can get by with this and collect the brass that you shoot from the factory loads and use them to reload with lead. Use the lead to practice with and become more comfortable with it.
    Now back to the original question, which weapon, I choose the S&W M&P 45. But you can look over what police carry, military carry and contractors carry. They generally use their equipment frequently and they would not carry something that doesn't work right. Their lives rely on it. These are some of the questions that you will have to ask yourself about before buying a SHTF weapon.
    Good luck and its always fun testing the equipment for training and just being with the family.

anthony010

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Westfield
    I dont own any of the big three. Glock,XD,or M&P but I would say figure out which one best fits you. If you cant shoot the gun well, it won't do much good in any situation.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I like the Glocks too but if you were to have to "make" your own bullets and reload, then Glock is NOT the best choice. Glocks DO NOT LIKE LEAD!

Contrary to popular belief, Glocks and other guns with polygonal rifling do not self-destruct when they come in contact with lead. Polygonal rifling merely fouls quicker when lead bullets are used and the warnings exist because Glock doesn't trust people to clean their barrels every couple hundred rounds. I doubt if the SHTF you will be going through that much ammo in one sitting. Removing lead buildup isn't difficult.

So, glock 19 and a bronze brush. Good to go.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. The Lone Wolf conversion is match grade and can use lead bullets with no problems. Yes I have that setup and it is the most adaptable handgun for the money. IMO

Ninja1310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. The Lone Wolf conversion is match grade and can use lead bullets with no problems. Yes I have that setup and it is the most adaptable handgun for the money. IMO

Why the 23 converted to 9mm? Just so you can switch between calibers?

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I like my Ruger 9mm compact with the Crimson Trace laser sight and Hornaday Critical Duty ammo. In critical situations, put the laser red dot where you want to hit and pull the trigger, no aiming. Also carry a Ruger 380 LCP (lightweight compact pistol) in the pocket as a backup with Federal Hydra-Shok ammo.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    What's the deal with the conversion barrels? How much ammo do you anticipate going through that you'll need to scavenge? If you go through a case of ammo in gunfights with post-apocalyptic biker gangs, there's a good chance you were dead 900-some rounds ago.

Top Bottom