• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    What's the deal with the conversion barrels? How much ammo do you anticipate going through that you'll need to scavenge? If you go through a case of ammo in gunfights with post-apocalyptic biker gangs, there's a good chance you were dead 900-some rounds ago.

For me it's pretty simple. I have a Glock 23 (among others) and wanted a good 9mm since I traded my Beretta fs92. Lone Wolf 23 to 9mm conversion barrel $119.00+ four G19 magazines from CDNN at $29.99 a piece and you can figure out my total costs for one handgun that is really two and of two different calibers. That equals adaptability. My total costs for this setup is close to $600.00 total (the G23 is a gen2).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What's the deal with the conversion barrels? How much ammo do you anticipate going through that you'll need to scavenge? If you go through a case of ammo in gunfights with post-apocalyptic biker gangs, there's a good chance you were dead 900-some rounds ago.

:laugh: This is the internet, don't bring forth the obvious.

It is about versatility and price. OP asked asked about ability to find mags, ammo, etc

Both of my Glocks are .40. When ammo prices went up I considered selling and buying 9mm. For what it would have cost me to do this I could buy the conversion barrel. Two guns in one. Now I can't find 9mm but can buy .40. Of course this does not affect me as much as some since I have enough ammo for this season. But nice to have the flexibility.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I'd go with my beretta m9 or 92fs. I have both with over 2500rds through the m9, not a single hiccup with any ammo I've put through it. I stay away from +p or +p+ though. But seeing as military uses 9mm as their standard handgun ammunition there will be loads of it. If there ever break, you can replace some parts with a trashed taurus 92fs if ever found also.

My 2nd choice would be any glock that can accommodate a 9mm and 357 sig barrel

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My 2nd choice would be any glock that can accommodate a 9mm and 357 sig barrel

That would be a Glock 22, 23 or 27. The 357 sig conversion is just a barrel swap. 9mm will require a special conversion barrel and the 9mm magazine. Same for the 357 sig models only here you would have to buy the 40 barrel.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    My vote goes for the H&K P30 in 9mm. Easy to strip, clean, and shoot. Everything on it is ambi and the grip and be tailored to your hand thanks to the back straps and side panels. Also has a 1913 rail for lights, lasers, ect. Also being 9mm it's a soft shooter and ammo can be pretty easily found and affordable when panic buying isn't in vogue.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Against the grain, I know.....but I'd take a .22lr rifle and pistol. You can carry thousands of rounds with you.

So I'd say a ruger mark whatever.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm or 40 (personal preference)...If it's good enough for the SEALs it's good enough for me!

This, I'm grabbing the 226 and 229ST with multiple barrels (9, 40, 357sig) and the Beretta 87 (22lr). Or possibly a 22 conversion for the Sigs.

Why limit your possibilities?

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I highly doubt anyone will have the luxury of carrying all the necessary gear to reload in a SHTF scenario; 200lbs of lead, seriously? If you think you can hunker down in a static defensive position indefinitely, by all means, go with the reloading route and exclude a Glock.

If you are a little more realistic, look toward a Glock, XD, M&P, or maybe a Ruger in 9mm or .40 cal. At some point, everyone will be raiding for ammo and these are the calibers most likely to be had for a semi-auto. A .45 is great, just don't think the ammo will be as easily scrounged.

Another thought is a .38/.357 revolver with a companion .38/357 lever gun. Good in close, good to 100yds on deer sized game, plenty of ammo around.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    If I was planing to shoot lead I would go with a revolver. Other than that I would go with a Glock 36,30 or 21.

Top Bottom