• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Okay just added a TRP to the collection and love it! Looking maybe in the future to a 4.25 inch barrel in the LES BAER line price range in the 2,000 range is this a good choice or are there other custom guns in that price point that are better choices?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No issues with anything from Baer.

If you have a new TRP I would bet you lunch the high end offering from Baer will not out run it.....Betcha.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Les Baer makes a fine 1911. Probably the best value in semi custom guns right now.

So OP, when you going to sell me that TRP and make a move towards a Baer or Wilson? :D

Changing direction a bit. Local gun shop up this way has a used Baer in good condition. $1700 I think. I think it is the Prowler model. Very similar to the Wilson Tactical Elite. Would make an interesting addition to a growing 1911 collection.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I have a very early Baer Commanche (4.25). Have carried it in harms way with complete faith. It has been brutally reliable and I shoot it as well as any pistol I own. You will not be disappointed.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Les Baer makes a fine 1911. Probably the best value in semi custom guns right now.

So OP, when you going to sell me that TRP and make a move towards a Baer or Wilson? :D

Changing direction a bit. Local gun shop up this way has a used Baer in good condition. $1700 I think. I think it is the Prowler model. Very similar to the Wilson Tactical Elite. Would make an interesting addition to a growing 1911 collection.
    Wont sell it to you will just trade for your Wilson! LOL.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd take that bet.

Have ran both guns. I owned 2 TRPs and a friend had 2 Baers. Did several hundred through each one. TRP's grouped right there with the Baer's. Neither failed in any way. The fit/finish/pretty was better on the Baer as you would expect. They ran neck and neck. For the price point I will stick with the TRP's.
    No knock on the Baer. If I was flush with cash 1 would be in the safe.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    If you want a truly custom 1911, you'll need to add a few grand to your price.

Baer / Nighthawk / etc are SEMI-custom guns.

BIG difference between full custom and semi custom.

Morris Custom Pistols Morris Custom Pistols Artistry in Pistolcraft

Heirloom Precision (need donor gun + a few grand) HOME

Infinity Firearms Infinity Firearms

Pistol Dynamics Welcome to Pistol Dynamics

Drool-worthy link: https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/buyers-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts.511/

-J-
    Sure they are truly fantastic and thanks for the info! But I guess the semi custom will have to work for this poor boy! LOL.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sure they are truly fantastic and thanks for the info! But I guess the semi custom will have to work for this poor boy! LOL.

I know... It's hard to imagine the cost of some of those things isn't it? And I'm sure that's the tip of the iceberg, too. $7000+ for a 1911? Wow. Even if I HAD the money to spend - I don't know that I would. I'd be afraid to shoot it. :D

Semi-custom is a fantastic way to go if you want to have it all done for you. You may also be able to get away with a quite moderately priced frame/slide (STI, perhaps?) and then piecing together your "dream gun". I think that I may do that...one day... Way way way off in the future.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    No issues with anything from Baer.

If you have a new TRP I would bet you lunch the high end offering from Baer will not out run it.....Betcha.

:yesway:.....I'd agree.......TRP'd be rich enuff, accurate 'nuff fer my hands.....:):

I'd take that bet.

They'a BOTH......be waaaaaayy more accurate.....than over 3/4 o' the dudes 'at buy'em is capable of.....:):

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If I'm spending 2000 on a 1911 I"ll shop for a used Wilson.. Nothing against the Baer, in fact I've never owned a Baer. I do have some experience with Wilsons and Nighthawks and IMHO the Wilson is the best of the "high end" 1911s. For that kind of money look them all over and get the one that floats your boat the highest in the water. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    :yesway:.....I'd agree.......TRP'd be rich enuff, accurate 'nuff fer my hands.....:):

They'a BOTH......be waaaaaayy more accurate.....than over 3/4 o' the dudes 'at buy'em is capable of.....:):
    Just did get to the range today with my new TRP and will say it is one fine shooting gun! If they make a better gun for money spent would love to see it. Thanks for all the feedback leading to the purchase!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just did get to the range today with my new TRP and will say it is one fine shooting gun! If they make a better gun for money spent would love to see it. Thanks for all the feedback leading to the purchase!

My Springfield Trophy Match is the only other 1911 in that price range that ran as good/better than my TRP's.
    It is a dedicated target shooter and with the proper skill sets behind the trigger they are deadly accurate.
    If you can understand him Harley 50 is right.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    My Springfield Trophy Match is the only other 1911 in that price range that ran as good/better than my TRP's.
    It is a dedicated target shooter and with the proper skill sets behind the trigger they are deadly accurate.
    If you can understand him Harley 50 is right.
    Yea I have met him in person and is a lot easier to understand than his writings! LOL And on the TM was torn between it and the TRP so I think I might try to trade my Kimber Elite Custom II if I can find someone interested.

Top Bottom