• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He did it with my gun. He did some gunsmithing work for me and during the test fire session grouped those 3 shots on a 3/4 inch USPSA target paster. Rob is a bad*** with iron sights.

Looks like I need to get an 8" steel plate.....:)

I am not sure I can "See" an 8" plate at 50......................:)

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Rob is super human. He grouped 3 45acp rounds on a 3/4 inch USPSA target paster at 10 yards if I remember correctly.

:):

I get some wood on the ball every now and again.

The CZ97 made it pretty easy, though.

8" steel at 50yds isn't too crazy. Basically 4" at 25yd or 2" at 12.5yds. Heck, my G17 (shameless plug, it's for sale) could do that.

When you want 3" at 50 - that's another ballgame. That's when the hand fitting of a custom will make the difference.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

8" steel at 50yds isn't too crazy. Basically 4" at 25yd or 2" at 12.5yds. Heck, my G17 (shameless plug, it's for sale) could do that.

When you want 3" at 50 - that's another ballgame. That's when the hand fitting of a custom will make the difference.

A good consistent load as well. Factory ammo is not that consistent.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

The great thing is that a 3" gun would give me 5" of human error to deal with and still hit an 8" target at 50 yards.:rockwoot:

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I bought my Trp used and loved it but after I had Joe Bell tune it up I would put it against any 1911 out there.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You should be able to pop clay's at 25 yds off hand with a decent 1911. Steadily ring an 18" steel at 50 off hand. That is our measuring stick anyway.
    That's pretty much what bullseye pistol shooters do at 25 and 50 yds. They do it one handed, though.:)

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    My Baer is the most expensive gun I own, and I have not had a single regret about it.

IMO, a lot of makers do a great gov't size gun these days; the TRP and some of the Baers are best in value in my book. I've shot a few true customs, Wilsons, DWs, NHC, and Guncrafter. In all honesty, if/when I ever buy another it will probably be a Guncrafter or a full custom. The GI guns are amazing and have really beautiful fit and finish. A Wilson may be a hair better grouper and a smidge prettier if classic is your look, but the value doesn't hit the mark for me. If I'm going to drop $3k or more, I'll get on a list and wait a year for a full custom build.

In a sub-5" gun, I don't want something less than semi-custom. I know that there are good ones out there, but I've just seen way more issues with them than gov't size models. The original design is simply more forgiving. Baer or better for that class. But, if I'm going to carry an all-steel gun that extra inch isn't adding more weight than reliability, so I'll eat the weight. :)

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My Baer is the most expensive gun I own, and I have not had a single regret about it.

IMO, a lot of makers do a great gov't size gun these days; the TRP and some of the Baers are best in value in my book. I've shot a few true customs, Wilsons, DWs, NHC, and Guncrafter. In all honesty, if/when I ever buy another it will probably be a Guncrafter or a full custom. The GI guns are amazing and have really beautiful fit and finish. A Wilson may be a hair better grouper and a smidge prettier if classic is your look, but the value doesn't hit the mark for me. If I'm going to drop $3k or more, I'll get on a list and wait a year for a full custom build.

In a sub-5" gun, I don't want something less than semi-custom. I know that there are good ones out there, but I've just seen way more issues with them than gov't size models. The original design is simply more forgiving. Baer or better for that class. But, if I'm going to carry an all-steel gun that extra inch isn't adding more weight than reliability, so I'll eat the weight. :)

+1000. I always go government length. Just handles better and is more reliable IMHO. And I also carry a TRP as well :)

Top Bottom