• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LARGrizzly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Dayton
    Colt changed to wanting only Colt Authorized dealers requiring a minimum stock of several kinds of Colt's kept in stock on hand. Alot of places aren't willing to make that investment. Small shop I work at part time near Dayton OH is an Authorized Colt dealer. We have have a couple Mustangs size 380's, at least a dozen Defender, Comander, Govt. Model, and higher ends Colt 1911's. Usually keep 4 or 5 AR's. One of the requirements is SAA's but they can't really enforce that, we've been trying for 2 years to get SAA's and keep getting told no time soon. Still glad we are a Cilt dealer, always been my favorite 1911.

LARGrizzly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Dayton
    The deal about the margins is also correct. Colt lowered prices and raised most of the dealer costs, so margin is slim. For the money the Colt Competition is probably the best value of the bunch.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    A good many years ago I was in the market for a Colt Python. The proprietor of a gun store where I'd done some business told me that in order to get a Python from Colt he had to also buy ten Detective Specials.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I agree, really wish more dealers around here took the plunge with Colt I like their new stuff coming out like the Wiley Clapping series. Colt is about the only 1911 brand the Indiana Gun Club does not carry so that tells you everything you need to know about the margin and dealer agreements imho

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Lotsa good stuff here.

More-or-less, Colt and their little pony sucks. In 1991, they were the game, but at this point there are so many good options, with so much LESS BS for the dealers, and that cost less to the end-user for the same quality that I cannot think of any reason you'd buy a modern Colt.

Now classics is a different story entirely.

-Nate

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It should surprise no one that Colt has become such a joke with its repeated bankruptcies.
    I'd just like to know what mental giant executive at Colt actually believed that the way to really turn a profit was to nearly ignore the consumer market in favor of police and military contracts.
    Ruger and Smith & Wesson understand the value of the consumer market, and their health shows it.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Lotsa good stuff here.

More-or-less, Colt and their little pony sucks. In 1991, they were the game, but at this point there are so many good options, with so much LESS BS for the dealers, and that cost less to the end-user for the same quality that I cannot think of any reason you'd buy a modern Colt.

Now classics is a different story entirely.

-Nate
    I can think of several reasons to buy a modern Colt. Number 1 being they are currently making some very nice guns!

As already stated the Wiley Clapp's are very nice.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The 2 shops I go to regularly both stock a few Colts. I just picked up a new LW Commander in 9mm. It is my first non .45 1911, so... I guess I will see how it goes when I shoot it.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Most of the Colts I have seen are priced way out of my ballpark, especially the revolvers. I know they are no longer made and highly desirable so they command a premium price, but a guy can buy 2 or 3 nice guns for the price of one Colt. The average guy can't afford too many of Colt's offerings.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Most of the Colts I have seen are priced way out of my ballpark, especially the revolvers. I know they are no longer made and highly desirable so they command a premium price, but a guy can buy 2 or 3 nice guns for the price of one Colt. The average guy can't afford too many of Colt's offerings.
    The used prices are just market driven. Those Colt snake guns are highly desired by the market. That is actually another reason to buy Colt's 1911s. They have traditionally held their value more than a lot of other makers.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I love the older Colts.
    I've had exceptional smiles out of my Colt ARs.
    IF I am going to purchase a new Colt 1911 I will have hands on it. I've been trying to find a good fitting Colt 1911 for a couple of years now. Some of them are decent but most of what I've had my hands on are fit up about as well as the old 1911s I had my hands on in the USMC well over 4 decades ago. Sloppy slides, long gritty triggers, poor finishes, and the newer 70 series are flat out a joke.
    I'm sure they shoot fine but I can't get that far with even one of them.
    Now with that being said, I have seen some "name dropper Colts" that were decent but for the asking price on them there's no way I'll dish out my dough on 'em.
    I'm still a Pony fan but I ain't buyin' no 3 legged horse.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You can still pick up older Colt revolvers for reasonable money, I like the New Service and Officers models.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I love the older Colts.
    I've had exceptional smiles out of my Colt ARs.
    IF I am going to purchase a new Colt 1911 I will have hands on it. I've been trying to find a good fitting Colt 1911 for a couple of years now. Some of them are decent but most of what I've had my hands on are fit up about as well as the old 1911s I had my hands on in the USMC well over 4 decades ago. Sloppy slides, long gritty triggers, poor finishes, and the newer 70 series are flat out a joke.
    I'm sure they shoot fine but I can't get that far with even one of them.
    Now with that being said, I have seen some "name dropper Colts" that were decent but for the asking price on them there's no way I'll dish out my dough on 'em.
    I'm still a Pony fan but I ain't buyin' no 3 legged horse.

"BINGO"

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    I previously had a colt officers model match and it was one of the smoothest actions I've experienced. I have limited experience with higher quality revolvers, but I can still remember how impressed I was with the OMM. They are typically selling for $700 - $1200, which is a discount to their pretty older brothers. Too bad colt isn't making quality revolvers still.

Top Bottom