• ...and so much more!
  • Klanham5576

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    NE Indiana
    Check out Inlaws and Outlaws in Gas City. The owner is a big Colt fan. Normally has two or three in the case. I ordered a new Defender from him and he had it in about five days.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Despite Colt's "stocking dealer" scheme and threats to cut off dealers who don't pay the ransom, Colt firearms can still be had through distribution, as far as I know.

Indy Arms Company currently has a Defender and a stainless Series 70 1911 in the case, and regularly stocks Expanse and LE6920 rifles.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    Anyone that says colt 1911s suck doesnt own one. I own two both are great guns. Also the profit margin thing it could be that, but i bought my colt combat elite brand new for $856 bucks. They list at what 1200 and most shops sale them at 1099-1150 and im sure the shop i bought mine at didnt lose money. So obviously there is still a good amount of meat on the bone there?

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    they move a ton of them everyday at that price. Small shop to. they sale gold cups for 930 bucks or so. What it tells me is the typical markup we are all paying is ridiculous

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    same place sales 9mm S&w sheilds everyday for $319 bucks most shops want $379-$409. They all scream overhead etc, but obviously it can be done. Most of them just want to make a killing off each sale.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    its a fetish rooted in nostalgia...most are not good and the good ones are not better than what is available today. i had a colt revolver and sold it as quick as i took it in on trade--nothing impressive except the nostalgia...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Maybe it's because Colt's sell better when the buyer does not get to handle the gun up front. Right now, I have 3 Colt 1911s in teh collection and the only one that really impressed initially was built in 1943. My DE needed a whole lot of work before it became a gun I can say that I love and the newest 9mm full size will eventually be nice, but I can honestly say that I don't know if I'd have bought it if I had held it first. Even at $646, it feels more like an RIA than a quality 1911. The safety fit is atrocious. I've fit a bunch of 1911 safeties and my very first was better than this one. Out of the box, the whole gun had a gritty feel to it that went away after about 150 rounds. I know that the internals are junk from my experience with my DE, but that was expected. With work, it will turn into a fantastic gun, but if you were just checking out different 1911s and someone handed you a BNIB Colt, you would most likely not be impressed. Especially if you had been fondling a Sig 1911, Springer or CZ 1911 first.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    I compared them all hoenstly my combat elite is a really solid gun. Decent trigger, tight fitting but no issues with it not wanting to run. Nice fit and finsh, and its a colt say what you will. ITs a colt for 150 to 200 bucks more than a ruger. Give me the colt anyday every day.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I saw a Gold Cup about a year ago at McGalliard Guns in Muncie. Since you don't see too many, I asked to see it. Honestly, Armscor wouldn't have let that thing out the door. It was like the slide, frame and barrel came from 3 separate countries and a monkey put them all together. Sorry, I've got better things to spend $1300 on.

Also, they are the American version of HK.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    my gold cup is as tight as my friends dan wesson. THe trigger on the gold cup i have is excellent to. Only thing i hate are the factory grips i just think they look like crap. I think a lot of people love to hate on Colt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I compared them all hoenstly my combat elite is a really solid gun. Decent trigger, tight fitting but no issues with it not wanting to run. Nice fit and finsh, and its a colt say what you will. ITs a colt for 150 to 200 bucks more than a ruger. Give me the colt anyday every day.

I have owned several up into the early 90's. I saw the quality slowly tank. Sold off all of mine when life struck us a series of serious blows. When I tried to replace them I was sorely disappointed.

I have since went with the Springfield line up. I have seen a few turds come out of them but for the most part they are well and above what I have seen from Colt.
    And I have seen some Colts.

Please do not take this post as a slam on your favorite 1911. I am a dyed in the wool 1911 fan boy. I just see the Colt name being about all the offer up anymore.
    Buddy brought one by a few weeks ago. It was terrible. It took a good bit of work to get it up to Par.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    my gold cup is as tight as my friends dan wesson. THe trigger on the gold cup i have is excellent to. Only thing i hate are the factory grips i just think they look like crap. I think a lot of people love to hate on Colt.

I'm glad you got a good one. Part of the price of any firearm, especially a $1,000 one, is quality control. I wouldn't have the nerve to charge anybody that kind of money for anything without being confident they were getting my best. Heck, given the materials I'm using, I need to charge $150 for a knife. But I'm just giving them away or trading them off until I feel like the craftsmanship is at the level I want it to be.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    ive got not one but two good ones. Not saying they are all great. Show me a production gun for what i paid for mine thats better though. I have shot the springfield line nice guns wont knock them but QC issues can be had there to and guess what i paid for my combat elite youd pay for a springfield range officer. I wouldnt say ones better than the other honestly. The name colt on the side sure says more to me than springfield made in brazil though fellas.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    My opinion on why you dont see them. Probably a mixture of colt being behind the times on dealer relations for one. Secondly as others have said less markup. Dealers will push what they make the most on. They will also convince the world that whatever they make the most on at any given time is the best there is out there.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    ive got not one but two good ones. Not saying they are all great. Show me a production gun for what i paid for mine thats better though. I have shot the springfield line nice guns wont knock them but QC issues can be had there to and guess what i paid for my combat elite youd pay for a springfield range officer. I wouldnt say ones better than the other honestly. The name colt on the side sure says more to me than springfield made in brazil though fellas.

Im glad you got two good ones, and a great deal at that. But there's just too many people I respect that have seen less than excellent examples from them, and I have never personally been impressed. Also, I personally have never seen the prices you have, so the combination makes them way overpriced to me. And I don't buy names. Before everyone wised up, they used to charge way too much for their AR's as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

They are all made here for the most part now.

Top Bottom