• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My opinion on why you dont see them. Probably a mixture of colt being behind the times on dealer relations for one. Secondly as others have said less markup. Dealers will push what they make the most on. They will also convince the world that whatever they make the most on at any given time is the best there is out there.

Knowing several LGS owners and one of them used to sell for Colt there is a very complicated LGS/Colt relationship. It makes it hard for them to be a stocking Colt dealer.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The 9mm Govt I picked up at Christmas is closing in on 200 rounds and feels a whole lot better now than it did out of the box. I really think Colt would do better if they just spent 5 minutes breaking the sharp edges between the machining step of the manufacture and the finish step. Sure, a lot of those edges round down normally within a couple of hundred rounds, but as produced, they tend to give the gun a gritty feel out of the box. For most owners, the gun would be considered fine as is now but it sure didn't impress out of the box. I imagine that over the next couple of years, once the ignition package has been addressed, internals pollished, MSH replaced, springs tuned and sights updated, I'll come to really love this gun. I'm liking it a whole lot right now and given that I picked it up from Bud's for a hair over RIA money, am really happy with how it's wearing in.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    I guess thats my point. Which would you rather have a Rock Island, or foreign made 1911, or the original. Im by no means saying colts are the best out there. I think they are certainly a top tier production gun though. Price wise when your not getting gouged they are very competitive. Because most LGS want to try to charge 1150 for a combat elite doesn't mean thats what they actually go for. We have a large sig dealer locally that i wont mention names but i drove 2 hours to terre haute. Bought my legion for less that what most people are buying used ones for. Its shocking to me the lack of shopping around you see from some of the gun community. If one dealer can sale it and expand a business at lets say 1000 bucks, then another shouldnt need to charge 1300 to keep the lights on. If they do they arent running their business correctly. I do understand some dealers more than likely get better pricing on some items but i doubt its 30-40% different.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Last week when I was in Fort Liberty they had a full, Commander and Officer sizes in stock. You might give them a call to see if they still have them.
    Dan

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Seems like all the gun shops carry Springfield, Kimber and some of the cheaper 1911s, but nobody ever has Colts.
    Why is that?

I just found out that one of my local gun shops just became a Colt dealer, and just received his first shipment.
    He has several new pieces to ogle.
    He has a beautiful Colt Mustang, a Government model 1911, and a Gold Cup match 1911, along with several new S&W's, some new Rugers, he even has my SP101 in .327fed/mag!

Where is this you ask?
    Glad to tell you.
    It's,
    Geneo's Hunting, Fishing, and Deer Processing/Indoor Archery Range
    310 S. 16th St
    Lafayette, In. 47905
    Shop- 765-269-9246
    Owner-Gene Mills
    Cell-765-404-7397
    geneoshunting@gmail.com

Full disclosure- I have nothing to do with this business, but he is a friend, and I'd like to see his business succeed.

Top Bottom