• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Or ride the cow, then make cheese and steaks when I get home.

We also have fields with horses everywhere, probably better to ride those.

No your long term plan was better. Porterhouse is better than horsemeat. Slow and tasty beats fast and tough.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My thoughts would be a day-bag like for hiking:
    - water bottle
    - snack(s)
    - small boo-boo kit
    - bandanna
    - compass
    - small fire kit
    - sunscreen
    - chapstick
    - bug spray
    - whistle
    - map
    - emergency blanket
    - paracord
    - duct tape
    - baggies
    - Sharpie pen and small notbook
    - flashlight (if not on your person)
    - spare mag (if not on your person)
    - knife (if not on your person)

I've seen versions of this, that minus the food/water, fit in something the size (or smaller than) a fanny pack.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    OP says he has "no medical training" and has concerns about misusing "medical stuff" (my term, not his). Let me suggest you carry an assortment of bandaids, some aspirin or other OTC pain/inflammation reducer, an ACE bandage (or two), and some moleskin (for blisters). Perhaps even a small thermometer. These things can be useful first-aid items everyday and shouldn't take up too much room (except for the ACE bandage.) OP might consider whether it is better to carry an actual tourniquet or whether he might be competent to try to improvise a tourniquet if he suffers an accident which results in an arterial bleed.

gewehr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    I'd consider adding a SOL Bivy. It's lightweight "shelter", and would be able to help prevent hypothermia.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    24 hr seems to cover a lot of scenarios. I found a sling bag on Fleabay for $18. It is half the size of a day pack, lots of zippers/clasps/small compartments. It is China made, not the quality of Maxpedition, but works for the few items I carry.

Glock 21/ spare mag
    Small FAK-
    Bandanna
    Tactical Flashlight(from Menards, AA batteries)
    Rain Poncho(cheapie from Target .99 , orange )
    Small pill box w/ Tylenol, Immodioum, decongestant(Rexall brand for runny nose-throat)
    Cold Steel Fixed Blade-Tanto 5in blade/sheath
    Mini multitool
    Faro Rod/mag block, Mini Bic
    Compass/ local map/pencil
    $10 in singles

May add or delete as needed. I do carry water bottles in my trunk/6 or so. Maybe fit 2 in the bag.
    That's all folks.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    For 24 hours, I need my standard EDC gear, comfortable shoes, weather appropriate clothing, water, cliff bars and a few ECA stacks. That's it.

Problem is you never really know if its going to be 24 hours only, so I would just grab the pack in my trunk.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I just went 1 1/2 days without eating while doing two 5k runs and I was blown away that I had zero energy, was a nice eye opener as I thought food was stupid since you can go two weeks without food, I will now spare the room for a couple cliff bars as after 10+ hrs on the move you will just be spent even in good shape.

I had a big backpack, I came to realize it was stupid, switched to a bag half the size with a stack on and I can flat move with it, after 24hrs you had better have a better plan then whatever it is you are doing or you are in serious trouble.

I work in some of the most remote cattle ranches there are and even there after 12-24hrs if you are not closing in on a plan you are in trouble. Not that hard to at least find fruit or be closing in on shelter with food.

Big fan of the Geigerrig hydration pack I have as it has a legit charcoal filter and is pressurized, simply do a dump fill, pump it up and go.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just went 1 1/2 days without eating while doing two 5k runs and I was blown away that I had zero energy, was a nice eye opener as I thought food was stupid since you can go two weeks without food, I will now spare the room for a couple cliff bars as after 10+ hrs on the move you will just be spent even in good shape.

I had a big backpack, I came to realize it was stupid, switched to a bag half the size with a stack on and I can flat move with it, after 24hrs you had better have a better plan then whatever it is you are doing or you are in serious trouble.

I work in some of the most remote cattle ranches there are and even there after 12-24hrs if you are not closing in on a plan you are in trouble. Not that hard to at least find fruit or be closing in on shelter with food.

Big fan of the Geigerrig hydration pack I have as it has a legit charcoal filter and is pressurized, simply do a dump fill, pump it up and go.

Not sure if anyone tried that "two weeks without food".
    Maybe you can survive that long without food but you won't be able to do anything productive, not even walk.
    Probably just lay on the ground for two weeks and be barely alive when emergency services find you.
    You will probably just feel really weak and have severe headaches after just a few hours without food if you do intense exercice as you might during any survival situation.

Just having some snacks with sugar/energy can keep you from crashing/fainting in situations with lots of stress.
    I keep sugar cubes in my first aid kit just for that.
    It's a very compact form of energy (and you are not tempted to eat them for non-emergency situation like you would chocolate bars).

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    Thanks for the many responses! Clearly I'm not the only one with such a setup. My original list was not exhaustive, either, but more of a general outline.

OP might consider whether it is better to carry an actual tourniquet or whether he might be competent to try to improvise a tourniquet if he suffers an accident which results in an arterial bleed.
    I could probably just carry a tourniquet... Doesn't seem like it requires much more than simple instruction to use, after all.

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville

Good information. Don't forget some of the other benefits of carrying food and water. Imagine there's a car accident, or some disaster such as an earthquake; Food and water could be a comfort to a panicked person having just faced death, and to sit calmly for a minute and breathe.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the many responses! Clearly I'm not the only one with such a setup. My original list was not exhaustive, either, but more of a general outline.

I could probably just carry a tourniquet... Doesn't seem like it requires much more than simple instruction to use, after all.

I wheel around a backpack with all of the stuff I typically need in a day, plus some stuff I might need in an emergency. It serves the role of a "one day pack" plus a poor man's briefcase as well.

Tourniquets are a good idea to have with you on your person. You need to know when (and when not) to use them as much as how to apply them properly.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Just emptied and repacked my backpack as the hurricane is about to hit where I am in Florida. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

One thing I have going is cold is no issue I will be facing which saves a lot of room. Lots of trama/first aid items to get through with a G19 and 4 spare mags to work through the backside if needed, hopefully get to stay with my home and rifles or at least my vehicle and rifle.

Having loved ones to get through a tough time is such a game changer, would be so easy with my age/health/fitness/knowledge to push through some serious **** but having to push others through just brings things to a crawl.

2old2bfast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    Columbus
    I've thought about this on and off for awhile now. I believe it's time to get started on something. It would be easier if we didn't live in the snow belt.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    I have been carrying one for awhile now. Nice piece of mind. Snacks, Cash, First Aide kit (small one), Clothes, Vaseline. Wife and I Work about 5 miles from home and we are about 3 mile a part with the kid in the middle at school. Nice set up but always thinking of emergency. Needing to walk to get home or meet up with them. My wife at first laugh I carry a back pack around until she needing something. Now she is like thinking not a bad idea. Its just the little things in life that we take for granted at times.

Top Bottom