• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    I carry a few things in my daily driver.

But my trip home is almost 40 miles.
    I am not sure what could happen that would make me walk the entire way.
    But walking shoes are a part of my get home bag.
    Season appropriate cloths are another.
    I always have a way to start a fire and could spend the night in my ride.
    I also carry a small first aid kit.

Road closure due to an accident or storm damage has proven to be the most likely issue to my trip home.
    But I don't have to cross any major bridges and have several ways to get home. (none prone to flooding)

Power outage has been an issue in the past, I always keep enough fuel in the tank for the trip home and then some.

This bag also covers me should I get "stuck" on the way.
    My daily driver is off road capable, I carry gear to help get other people "unstuck".

I am lite on food and water, but do add some to the mix when winter weather is more likely.

I guess I'm not covered for everything, but feel prepared for the most likely.
    I have found that when you prepare for the most likely, the bag is a lot easier to carry. :)

tc556guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Upstate NY
    My thoughts would be a day-bag like for hiking:
    - water bottle
    - snack(s)
    - small boo-boo kit
    - bandanna
    - compass
    - small fire kit
    - sunscreen
    - chapstick
    - bug spray
    - whistle
    - map
    - emergency blanket
    - paracord
    - duct tape
    - baggies
    - Sharpie pen and small notbook
    - flashlight (if not on your person)
    - spare mag (if not on your person)
    - knife (if not on your person)

I've seen versions of this, that minus the food/water, fit in something the size (or smaller than) a fanny pack.

If that's all he is carrying, a Camelbak would be better; it would hold more water and still have room for everything you listed.
    Once OP starts hiking any distance a single bottle of water isn't going to last long

Thanks for the many responses! Clearly I'm not the only one with such a setup. My original list was not exhaustive, either, but more of a general outline.

I could probably just carry a tourniquet... Doesn't seem like it requires much more than simple instruction to use, after all.

If you're planning on using it on yourself, have you practiced applying it one handed? have you practiced applying it at all?

Not sure if anyone tried that "two weeks without food".
    Maybe you can survive that long without food but you won't be able to do anything productive, not even walk.
    Probably just lay on the ground for two weeks and be barely alive when emergency services find you.
    You will probably just feel really weak and have severe headaches after just a few hours without food if you do intense exercice as you might during any survival situation.

Some of those hunger strikers who refuse to eat for various political causes.
    POWs on a very restricted diet who are worked to death in labor camps
    People like those soccer players whose plane went down in the Alive! book, or maybe even stranded travelers like the Donner party
    I think there are some examples you can draw from to predict the trade-offs between labor and eating or lack thereof.
    I can't imagine running two races without chowing down at some point would be anyone's go-to plan

Last edited:
    Top Bottom