• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I say buy what you like/want to carry. Ignore the price. If it happens to be cheaper, great, if not, you got what you want. Scraping together 1400 isnt always the easiest thing to do. Finding an XDS or shield later for sub 500 is probably likely, so if you feel at a later time that's what you wanna do, it won't be a ton of money. Good luck!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    ^*he mentioned glock*

SERparacord, even a 1911 guy like you has to admit that Glocks have a place in the world. Glocks are my go-to gun when working in the garage. Why just the other day, I was about to jack the car up to check a tire and I needed something to chock the tire to make sure it does not roll off the jack. I was glad that I had the Glock because if I were carrying the 1911, I'd have had to find and then mess up a perfectly good piece of scrap lumber to block it. The Glock 20 is a little big to use as a chock, but it works.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    SERparacord, even a 1911 guy like you has to admit that Glocks have a place in the world. Glocks are my go-to gun when working in the garage. Why just the other day, I was about to jack the car up to check a tire and I needed something to chock the tire to make sure it does not roll off the jack. I was glad that I had the Glock because if I were carrying the 1911, I'd have had to find and then mess up a perfectly good piece of scrap lumber to block it. The Glock 20 is a little big to use as a chock, but it works.
    *He said it 4 more times!!!!!!*

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Buy quality cry once.....does that apply here.....eh that's for you to decide. But you pinned for a Kimber for some reason and deferred instant gratification in order to save for it. Get it. If you don't you'll regret it and have to start the saving and deferral process all over again.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    More is not always better with firearms. You can only stay proficient with so many. Might as well have one you really love and master it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I only spend the big bucks on custom guns for competitive shooting. For carry guns, I find something I like, that works well for me. I usually get some custom things done to them, like trigger work, grips, etc. The problem is that now, some of my plain vanilla guns (mostly S&W revolvers) have increased in value so much, that I don't want to shoot them.

peal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The decision is ultimately yours, but I would buy multiple instead of sinking all of my money into one. It's more fun to have options at the range and you can get different sizes or calibers for different situations.

Texas-M4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    Dallas
    For a carry gun, reliability and performance are top priority. I would buy a quality gun that you have confidence in, after all your trusting your life on it. Carry it, and don't worry about if it gets a scratch on it or if the finish shows a little wear after a year or two. That's cosmetic stuff. Your peace of mind is worth it. You can always have your favorite gun "prettied up" from time to time and it will look just like new.

+1

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I agree with those who say that the top priority for a carry gun should be performance and shouldn't be a gun you'll worry about scratching. If you're going to train with it, run it through classes etc, it should be able to take a beating and work well. I'd go with one or two cheaper guns. I can't imagine spending $1400 on a carry piece even if I had the money. I'd rather use the extra money on training or other gear (holsters, new sights, ammo etc) to make sure I can use it under stress. In my opinion, the Shield is a great option. I love mine.

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    Go with the two less expensive, if you are like most of us you can't have just one. Myself I'm looking for another pretty shortly after I do
    get one.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    By asking the question, it appears you don't know what you really want. Most guys that want to buy a mid range 1911, like the Kimber, are not going to be interested in buying two plastic pistols. They are wishing they had the money for the LB, WC or EB that they really want.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That really depends on the person. I like 1911s, CZ 75s and Glocks and none of them fight each other in the safe. The $1400 could by a nice Kimber or it could buy a nice Sig and a second gun of some sort. As much as I like my Kimber, I don't see a single thing about it that is better than my Sig 1911. Then again, my Kimber is a Compact Stainless II and one of their base models. I might think differently if it were a higher end Kimber.

Top Bottom