• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I used to love the hot dogs at Lums and the clams at HoJo were a favourite. Liked their ice cream, too. Sad that all these places are now gone, some I like and others I never heard of or frequented. Chi-Chi's I remember going to once, wasn't impressed, so no great loss to me. I did like Sambo's and Steak and Ale, tho. Good eats and good prices. Sadly, there are more good old restaurants gone or going all the time. I'd kill, (well, maybe maim) for some H. Salt Fish and Chips.

HowStuffWorks "10 Restaurant Chains That Flopped"

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I miss the independent restaurants that no longer exist because the market is dominated by chains.
    There are tons of independent restaurants in the Indiana area. Loads in Indy and the surrounding counties, too. Maybe you need to get out more? Or hang out at Roadfood.com and look for suggestions.

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    I'm just expressing a little nostalgia for the old days when there weren't hardly any chain restaurants except maybe White Castle and Steak and Shake. I've seen a lot of good restaurants go out of business over the years. I remember when Burger Chef first opened and they only had three items. Burgers, fries and shakes for 15 cents each.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Kenny Rogers Roasters was pretty good.

Burger Chef was a fixture of my youth.

Chi-Chi's was a high-school go-to date place.

...and I like independent restaurants and frequent those which provide superior food/service for the money. Let the market decide.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Penguin Point was a great fish/chicken/slaw/ff chain. They had them around auto plants throughout michigan. Last sign I saw of one was in Anderson, In and i thought I was halucinating.

I need to go back and investigate.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Penguin Point was a great fish/chicken/slaw/ff chain. They had them around auto plants throughout michigan. Last sign I saw of one was in Anderson, In and i thought I was halucinating.

I need to go back and investigate.

Pretty sure there is still one in either Warsaw or Wabash...It's one of those "W" towns.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Chi-Chi's was our favorite. I remember the Minnie Pearl's and the Kenny Rogers' but Chi-Chi's---we bemoan its loss almost weekly.

Towards the end, they did seem to slip and just gave up. Then, the stupid green onions :rolleyes:

Bring Back Chi-Chi's!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Top Bottom