• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    1974 Lum's waitress of the month in Bellevue Nebraska. My sweetie then.

1457485_727795560464_907754412_n.jpg

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    There's a Jack-in-the-Box in Greenwood now. I hadn't eaten in one since I was a boy in Texas. Stopped there a couple of years ago, remembered why I still call it "Slop-in-the-Box."

And I remember Ground Round. When I lived in Springfield, IL, my family would go there for special occasions. They had a huge, old-timey scale for the "penny a pound" nights for kids."

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There's a Jack-in-the-Box in Greenwood now. I hadn't eaten in one since I was a boy in Texas. Stopped there a couple of years ago, remembered why I still call it "Slop-in-the-Box."

And I remember Ground Round. When I lived in Springfield, IL, my family would go there for special occasions. They had a huge, old-timey scale for the "penny a pound" nights for kids."

Had a friend in Hollywood that claimed that you had to eat Jack-in-the-Box to build up resistance to living in Los Angeles.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    That list brought back memories for me. I remember Rax and ChiChis, and more that weren't on the list and have been mentioned in the thread. Let's see: Shoneys, Lees Famous Chicken, Don Pablos (I know there's one in Greenwood, but it clearly isnt doing well). There's more, but my brain is slow this morning.
    There are several Lees Famous Chicken Outlets in Richmond. I ate chicken livers from one about a week ago.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Bonanza Steakhouse, Burger Chef, Rax. There were a lot of restaurants here on the west side of Indianapolis around the airport at one time however they've all left for the most part right along with several businesses. Don't get me wrong there still a lot left but not a great variety like there used to be. But in all honesty, the one business I missed the most, is definitely Dunkin' Donuts close to the airport, if you want it now you have to either go to the downtown location or out to Avon. Thank God Man's Grill is still here though!
    Mann's grill, may it last forever.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Tote A Poke chicken,Po Folks,Al Greens,Criders. Man so many good places are gone. I cant even find broasted chicken in Greenwood. And great tenderloins are rare since The Tin Star closed in Broadripple.
    I'd forgotten about Al Greens, that was a hangout for highschoolers on the eastside of Indy. BTW, Riley House on 40 in Greenfield has good broasted chicken.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    No mention of Flakey Jakes?
    Laughners before they went down hill and closed.
    I know we ate at Sizzler's and haven't heard about them in a long while.

Who wants to make a list of places they think will be closed in the next 10 years?

*Ate at the Ponderosa in Greenfield this past weekend, was nothing to brag about, but still decent food.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Al Green's! A drive-in restaurant and movie. There could be guys on this forum who were conceived at Al Green's. Other great long-gone drive-ins around Indy were Knobbys on Shadeland Av, The Northern Pole or North Pole on N. Meridian, and the Ron-D-Vu just north of Butler University. Harold's Steer-In at 10th & Emerson is still open but barely and is no longer a drive-in. The serious car guys went to The Pole on W 16th or Dino's near Wanamaker. And, I wonder how many guys here remember when the Steak 'n Shakes were drive-ins with car hops on roller skates.

Top Bottom