• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Wow we must all be in danger since everybody is walking around with katanas, chain whips, mini guns, and spear guns all over the place killing everybody. Seriously, I would love to hear this authors logic.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Katanas are Japanese style swords with blades around 2 feet in length, and are legal in the U.S. A hand-crafted blade can put you back around $500.

A hand crafted katana for $500?

That's what I was thinking.

This is what I thought when I read that nonsense:

"Only $500 for a real, made-by-hand katana??!?
    24590983.jpg
    ...!!!"

A handcrafted nihonto starts around $5,000.

The cheapest I've seen here in Japan is, on average, from about $2000.

$500 will get you a factory-produced sword.

Here in Japan, $500 will get a decent zinc/aluminum Iaito, but not a factory made steel blade. Only traditionally-made Japanese blades are legal to buy/own here. European-style swords, even old or authentically made blades, are illegal. :( :rolleyes:

For an antique, you're looking at the cost of a car,

The price depends more on the quality and the maker, not the age of the blade. One of the swords we loan to people for cutting practice is a 500+ year-old Koto-period blade, which I am using in this video.

New blades by National Living Treasures can go for $30,000-40,000...

...and nobody will ever cut with those for fear of damaging your precious investment.

:yesway: For the museum/art quality swords...absolutely.

My blade cost me about $4500, is anywhere from 100-300 years old, and I cut with it...

[video=youtube;DrVMRvfPKKw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrVMRvfPKKw&[/video]

...Yes, I'm crazy :nuts: like that!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    In addition to most of these being things that aren't really weapons, the article is wrong: grenades are not illegal, they're just subject to NFA and $200 tax/eaches. NOT illegal.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know a guy who does those weapons ("flexible weapons"). There is a lot of bumps and bruises on the way to learning to use them. He almost killed himself once in practice. And I think he has a good instructor, too.

Pffft. I'll just watch some guys on Youtube. I should be an expert in 20 minutes or so. Then I can start Open Chain vs Concealed Chain and "which link size is big enough" topics. I can't wait to get stopped with one and have a Trooper steal my wallet.

This is going to be the best Christmas EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    the article is wrong: grenades are not illegal, they're just subject to NFA and $200 tax/eaches. NOT illegal.

You sure about that? I understand its theoretically possible, but wouldn't you have to manufacture it yourself and figure out a serial number system?

Would you have to homebrew, in other words, or could you purchase a "store bought" grenade and register it (if it has a serial number)?

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Here in Japan, $500 will get a decent zinc/aluminum Iaito, but not a factory made steel blade. Only traditionally-made Japanese blades are legal to buy/own here. European-style swords, even old or authentically made blades, are illegal. :( :rolleyes:

The market I know is US-based. Here we can get steel swords easily. Maybe some of them are advertised as "handcrafted," but, really.

From the hakama, it looks like you do Mugai-ryu.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    You sure about that? I understand its theoretically possible, but wouldn't you have to manufacture it yourself and figure out a serial number system?

Would you have to homebrew, in other words, or could you purchase a "store bought" grenade and register it (if it has a serial number)?

Why would it need a serial? A grenade is a DD, not MG. Not sure how ATF would view a Form 1 for a grenade, but it's my understanding that the post 5-19-86 restriction does not apply to DDs or other NFA-controlled items, only MGs, hence why suppressors and AOWs and DDs can still be sold. ATF requires SOT and type 09 to manufacture and type 10 to deal in DDs. Serialization? Who serializes grenades? Who has the time? On a Form 1, you could stamp the casing, but if you're buying commercial or relic 40mm ordnance, I can't imagine they would be serialized. But still legal so long as you pay the NFA $200 on eaches. Someone who's an SOT can jump in and correct me, I'm not an expert, but I think it's just $200 eaches and you're good-to-go.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why would it need a serial? A grenade is a DD, not MG. Not sure how ATF would view a Form 1 for a grenade, but it's my understanding that the post 5-19-86 restriction does not apply to DDs or other NFA-controlled items, only MGs, hence why suppressors and AOWs and DDs can still be sold.

I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. However without some sort of serialization, how would you show that a particular grenade has its stamp? If I register a grenade and chuck it then build an identical replacement, how would anyone tell it wasn't the registered one? Seems to me that if you don't enforce some sort of serial number, one stamp = one grenade on hand, not one particular grenade.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. However without some sort of serialization, how would you show that a particular grenade has its stamp? If I register a grenade and chuck it then build an identical replacement, how would anyone tell it wasn't the registered one? Seems to me that if you don't enforce some sort of serial number, one stamp = one grenade on hand, not one particular grenade.

Interesting point, and I'm not sure how the ATF would go about that, but you'd clearly need at least one stamp/per, so if you happened to get two in the mail when you ordered and paid for only one, ATF is going to have a severe problem with the unexpected number two showing up, yes. A reputable dealer wouldn't let this happen, but in a hypothetical, major problem, particularly without serial numbers: which is 'yours' and which is verboten? Probably have to relinquish both without serials. No idea how to resolve it otherwise. Moot point though, as with further research, the great State of Indiana does NOT allow explosive destructive devices, only large-bore destructive devices. No grenades for you! I can sense the source of my next petition to the State legislature. :):

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    How in the world did the dreaded death stare not make this list? They should really outlaw wives from possessing them. None of the things on this list are as deadly as that unblinking stare of disapproval when you come home with a new toy.

Top Bottom