• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Work is sending me down to 10th and Arlington to cover for next week. I will be working the 2pm to 10pm shift including Friday and Saturday.

My knowledge of Indy is primarily from Downtown north between Michigan and Pen Pike to Hamilton County, so I don't know a whole lot about the Eastside of town.

How is that area? Any good places to eat, or things to do on break? Areas to avoid? How is the East side during Summer Celebration?

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I eat lunch at the MCL at 10th and Arlington almost every day. During the day, it's pretty much OK. But, the Eastside has it's fair share of problems. There are fast food places at 10th and Shadeland. I would keep your SA turned up after dark.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    That area right around that intersection isn't bad. Go farther east, west, north, or south and it gets hairy again. Good places to eat: Steer In at 10th and Emerson, Ball Park Pizza 10th & Emerson, MCL Cafe 10th and Arlington...fast food is east of there at the intersection of 10th and shadeland.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Steer Inn, have to go there. It was on diners drive-ins and dives and the beef and noodles are good!!
    I doubt you will have any problems in the area.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Keep your 6 covered 24/7 in that area. I know it all too well. I worked the Naval Air Warfare Center at 21st & Arlington
    There's a good bar(or was) just east of Arlington on the N.side of 10th. Good Grub, Killer Burritos. 21st and Arlington there was a SUPER GYRO place that was the best authentic Gyros around. It's been over 5 yrs so I'm not 100% sure they're still there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Keep your 6 covered 24/7 in that area. I know it all too well. I worked the Naval Air Warfare Center at 21st & Arlington
    There's a good bar(or was) just east of Arlington on the N.side of 10th. Good Grub, Killer Burritos. 21st and Arlington there was a SUPER GYRO place that was the best authentic Gyros around. It's been over 5 yrs so I'm not 100% sure they're still there.

If you're talking about the gyro place out in the parking lot where the Army/Navy Surplus place was, I think they closed a few years ago.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Steer Inn for awesome beef and noodles.

Bugsys for best tenderloin around. Tie Dye Grill ain't too bad but only available on Tuesdays.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Used to be an okay Chinese buffet there (10th & Arlington) too. Not sure if they're still there or not.

I haven't been there in about 2 years, it was always crazy at lunch time. The area gets dicey quickly after dark. 10th & arlington over West towards Sherman is the best of that area. Just keep your senses about you and don't look like a Rube and you should be okay.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    It wasnt there when I went looking for it about 2 years ago.

Also Steer Inn is okay, I went there 2 times a week for lunch. I didn't quiet understand what made the place so popular. It was not the cleanest place ever, and very busy.

I knew one of there cooks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Right in the heart of my ancestral stomping grounds. It's no worse than most places and a damn sight better than many. Since there are so many votes for Harold's Steer-in, I want to pitch for the Rock-Cola cafe on Brookville Road. It's no farther than Harold's, about 3 blocks west of Arlington on Brookville. They need the money!

Irvington's horrible reputation was earned many years ago, in the '60s and '70s. As an old man now I just don't see it as a particularly dangerous place, at least not like it was. It actually seems kind of dead nowadays.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Right in the heart of my ancestral stomping grounds. It's no worse than most places and a damn sight better than many. Since there are so many votes for Harold's Steer-in, I want to pitch for the Rock-Cola cafe on Brookville Road. It's no farther than Harold's, about 3 blocks west of Arlington on Brookville. They need the money!

Irvington's horrible reputation was earned many years ago, in the '60s and '70s. As an old man now I just don't see it as a particularly dangerous place, at least not like it was. It actually seems kind of dead nowadays.

It's not as bad as it was mostly because the MUCH WORSE neighborhood to the North has moved their knuckleheadedness and attention to the 38th street Corridor. But as with anywhere these days, criminals commute. I had a 50 y/o friend riding his son's Mopad, heathens jumped out of a sedan, pistol whipped him from behind and stole the mopad. That happened at the light right in front of the Family Video on 10th about a year ago.

Top Bottom