• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What does the plating of the buckshot do? Flight control wad?

Plating keeps it from deforming. Balls penetrate better than discs. Unplated buckshot deforms easier, both in the barrel and once it first begins to make contact.

Flightcontrol wad tightens the pattern and makes it very predictable with no "fliers" peeling off and going on their own vacation while the rest go on a business trip. It is very likely to pattern well from any shotgun, so less trial and error to see 'what works with X gun'.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    My experience with the .25 is that it's neither. It's not even a reliable suicide gun. I've had some fatals with it, but it *really* needs to be a face or temple shot. Even temple shots seem to flop around for hours before they finally die. I've mentioned the guy who shot himself under his chin and the bullet lodged in the roof of his mouth. Then there's the IPD officer shot in the back of the head by a hold up man. The cop thought he'd been punched, turned around to see the gun, and then killed the guy in a shootout in the gas station. Last year I had a guy shot through the screen of a screen door at near contact distance. 3 shots total. One bullet entered his shoe and bruised his foot. The other two hit the glass of the door behind him. They broke the first pane of glass but didn't damage the second.

.25 is not enough gun.

I was told that back in the day, a .25 ACP gunshot often resulted in death due to blood poisoning many days later. This came from a reliable source. Maybe today there are better techniques in medicine to prevent such infections. I agree that it ain't a man stopper.
    Just a guess, but perhaps the few fatalities from .25 ACP might be resulting from the injured party not wanting to go to the hospital and dying sometime after as a result? Buuuut maybe that has more to do with career choices than stopping power?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Just a guess, but perhaps the few fatalities from .25 ACP might be resulting from the injured party not wanting to go to the hospital and dying sometime after as a result? Buuuut maybe that has more to do with career choices than stopping power?
    You just might be on to something there. Crooks don't want to go to the hospital!

Top Bottom