• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sounds like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Will he be going to college after his senior year, or straight in to the workforce? At age 17 he can work a lot of jobs, fast food doesn't have to be the only choice. When I was 17 I went around to HVAC places and asked if they needed a helper for the summer...ended up working for an independent and he paid me in cash...but man I was glad to not be cooking french fries. Also learned what a 1099 was that year. If he has any interest in the trades, might not hurt to check around and see who might need a summer helper. It's grunt work, but I learned a lot...so much I left the trades for a career in IT.

He will be going to college. For what, we don't specifically know, but he has an idea of the general area.

Yeah, he could work someplace else. He pounded the pavement pretty hard around here when he was looking and many places wanted over 18...even if there is no law about it. He understands this is not a career track job (imagine his insight- beyond that of some adults). He still does one lawn in our old neighborhood (the neighbor we were closest with) and does "odd jobs" whenever he can.

With this one, from the time he was about 12 or 13, I knew that he would do fine with whatever he chose. He has always been a worker. The other three kids- good kids and will work, and maybe better with the academics, but they aren't as driven as he is. Maybe it's a first child thing...and maybe a little to do with he can remember when I was low man on the totem pole and put in even more hours than I do now.

Anyhoo...

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Wife called Pioneer and was told all of their seed corn gigs are down south (like near the border south) :(
    They have a convenient sign up form on their website, so he's applied through it just in case something comes up closer.
    So grass cutting & babysitting it is for the time being

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Here is something out of left field. When I was younger, I helped out at the local cemetery mowing and string trimming. The one near my house at the time wasn't a large operation that could support a lot of full time help, so they were always interested in having someone show up to run a trimmer or do minor repairs on something.

Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    All the hay near my place has been cut. I'm guessing this weekend will be a big bailing weekend. Maybe he can stack and throw hay. I'm sure they'll pay cash.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Is there a golf course or country club near by that still has caddies? I did that a few summers at that age. Cash, outdoors, and the clubs I worked at let you play on the day the course was closed or use the pool. There's even college scholarships available.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Something that hasn't been mentioned, and I'm not sure if it's even something that is done out your way, but I'll mention it anyway. Pet sitting / dog walking / yard clean up? If a kid came knocking on my door wanting to pick up dog poop, I'd give him some cash for sure. I hate doing it, but it is a necessary evil with a 2 year old running in the yard. I'd pay him to pull weeds as well.

I remember my first job. I applied when I was 13 (and got the job), but I couldn't start until I turned 14. I was a bag/cart boy at Meijer when the store first opened. That was a hot summer, riding my bike to work in the required uniform (black pants, white button-up shirt and "Meijer" vest.

Top Bottom