• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My RO runs just fine with springfield factory mags and loves the one Wilson Combat 8 rounder that I have (need to look into getting some more of those.) Picked up some old colt "surplus" magazines for cheap and it didn't like those at all.

Last edited:

The Ninja

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Do the surplus mags say Colt on them?

They do, actually. Base plates are stamped "Colt 45 Auto". They tend to run ok-ish during a mag. First round tends to try and jump past the feed lips and lock the whole action up. I've also had trouble with the slide lock using them (both not engaging and releasing immediately upon seating the mag.) Haven't had any of those issues with my other magazines, though I do wonder if part of it might be worn magazine springs.

Edit: I did some more googling and it appears these are actually triple K brand and not actual Colt. That actually explains a lot for me.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Every one tells me they have never had a problem with Kimber 8 round, but I have several and every once in a while they fail to lock the slide back. I have mil spec 7's and Chip 10's and have never any had a problem with them.

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    I run Chip McCormick Powermags with Wilson springs and followers as duty mags. Wilson Service Mags and 47D's are also very good. Don't forget about Mec-Gar mags. I have several 8 rounders that have been flawless. I have several surplus Colt mags in my range bag that I've really never had any issues with and they were picked up cheap out of a bin in a Military Surplus store.

Top Bottom